View Poll Results: Should public school teachers be able to call creationism "superstitious nonsense"?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes; they have freedom of speech and academic freedom

    33 56.90%
  • No; this amounts to the state picking sides on a religious matter

    14 24.14%
  • Other

    11 18.97%
Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 412

Thread: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

  1. #181
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Then tell them it's unsupported by science. Teachers have no place telling people that what they believe is "nonsense".
    Should we also take the time to delve into alien invasion, witchcraft, animal sacrifice, enhancing luck with horse shoes and four leaf clovers, the existence of leprauchans, ghosts, goblins, thunderbolts coming from Thor's hammer, where do we draw the line?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #182
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Should we also take the time to delve into alien invasion, witchcraft, animal sacrifice, enhancing luck with horse shoes and four leaf clovers, the existence of leprauchans, ghosts, goblins, thunderbolts coming from Thor's hammer, where do we draw the line?
    I don't remember suggesting we should "delve" into anything. I believe I said that one should say "creationism is unsupported by science" rather than "what you believe is nonsense" IF they say anything at all (when they should really just keep their mouths shut).

  3. #183
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Eh, that's true to a certain extent. Evolutionary processes have been observed, but no one was present for the entire evolutionary process so until someone can travel back in time and get a time lapsed video of evolution, it hasn't been "proven" in the way people usually mean the word and so objections to it as a theory still remain possible. That's not to say evolution is just a theory. Technically, my assumption that other people have emotions like me is a theory since I can't "prove" it, but I don't doubt that they do.
    Actually, theories have been proven, and so has evolution, but these are common misconceptions. Proof does not require video
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #184
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    In science, something does not become a "theory" until it has been scientifically proven.
    look it up. it's called the scientific method.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #185
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    look it up. it's called the scientific method.
    I have, but you obviously haven't or more likely, you've forgotten or misunderstood what you read.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #186
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I don't remember suggesting we should "delve" into anything. I believe I said that one should say "creationism is unsupported by science" rather than "what you believe is nonsense" IF they say anything at all (when they should really just keep their mouths shut).
    OK, I can go along with simply ignoring creationism, along with the other nonsense I've mentioned. Let's just not spend time on nonsense. Teach evolution, this is how life on earth came about, period. Science is silent on the issue of a creator.

    How do you keep students who have been indoctrinated into the young earth nonsense from bringing the issue up, however?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #187
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Actually, theories have been proven, and so has evolution, but these are common misconceptions. Proof does not require video
    Actually...no. It has been proven to a certain extent (enough to make it accepted as truth), but like I said, unless you can show it, it hasn't been proven absolutely.

  8. #188
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Eh, that's true to a certain extent. Evolutionary processes have been observed, but no one was present for the entire evolutionary process so until someone can travel back in time and get a time lapsed video of evolution, it hasn't been "proven" in the way people usually mean the word and so objections to it as a theory still remain possible. That's not to say evolution is just a theory. Technically, my assumption that other people have emotions like me is a theory since I can't "prove" it, but I don't doubt that they do.
    eh, what sangha said is not true at all. theories are attempts to explain facts, not facts in and of themselves. throughout the course of history, there have been hundreds, if not thousands, of scientific theories that were later proven wrong.

    Top 10 Most Famous Scientific Theories (That Turned out to be Wrong) | Top 10 Lists | TopTenz.net

    I believe the theory of evolution is currently the most accurate attempt to describe how life came to be and adapted, but it has not, and unless someone invents a time machine or window to the past, can never be scientifically proven.

    sangha obviously has no idea how science really works.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #189
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    OK, I can go along with simply ignoring creationism, along with the other nonsense I've mentioned. Let's just not spend time on nonsense. Teach evolution, this is how life on earth came about, period. Science is silent on the issue of a creator.

    How do you keep students who have been indoctrinated into the young earth nonsense from bringing the issue up, however?
    Why would you keep them from bringing it up? If they have something to say, let them say it and just tell them that it's a religious belief unsupported by scientific evidence. As much as I make fun of creationists, I don't really have a problem with students bringing it up or having teachers address it as I outlined above briefly.

  10. #190
    Advisor Just1Voice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    07-20-13 @ 12:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    389

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    How do you keep students who have been indoctrinated into the young earth nonsense from bringing the issue up, however?
    I'm afraid you can't. They are going to ask about it, and probably argue about it as well. I think the best you can do is encourage them to do their own research and come to their own conclusions.

Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •