View Poll Results: Are the U.S. constitution and its amendments sacrosanct? Yes or No?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 42.31%
  • No

    15 57.69%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 114

Thread: Are the U.S. constitution and its amendments sacrosanct? Yes or No?

  1. #81
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Are the U.S. constitution and its amendments sacrosanct? Yes or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Off topic but a good place.

    You seem like one of the reasonable conservatives here, and as you brought this up I have a question.

    I have very traditionally conservative upbringing, and most of my personal code of conduct is "conservative" as well.

    I usually find myself arguing from the "left", because to me, modern conservatism doesn't jibe with my upbringing.

    Is there an appropriate term for "predatory" conservatives?

    Neocon is burned out.

    I ask because their is a clear distinction in my thinking between the conservatism I grew up with and the conservatism currently ascendant in our politics. I would like to be able to separate the two by distinct terms, to avoid confusion.
    I am a conservative and the meaning of it in my terns is, that I live and breath the constitution as it was written. I believe the men of that day our founding father's drafted the constitution with no hidden agenda in mind. The constitution a document that isn't perfect yet our founding father's allowed a avenue for change if need be. I am also a Libertarian which I also categorize as conservative, we live in a republic which in my mind allows us to live as we see fit, so long as it doesn't hurt the very society we live in. I can go on but, I hope this short explanation will do.

  2. #82
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,172

    Re: Are the U.S. constitution and its amendments sacrosanct? Yes or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    I am a conservative and the meaning of it in my terns is, that I live and breath the constitution as it was written. I believe the men of that day our founding father's drafted the constitution with no hidden agenda in mind. The constitution a document that isn't perfect yet our founding father's allowed a avenue for change if need be. I am also a Libertarian which I also categorize as conservative, we live in a republic which in my mind allows us to live as we see fit, so long as it doesn't hurt the very society we live in. I can go on but, I hope this short explanation will do.
    Deltabtry, please look at the attached link and see if this is a good definition of what a conservative is. pease let us know. Thanks.

    The Russell Kirk Center: The Essence of Conservatism by Russell Kirk

  3. #83
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Are the U.S. constitution and its amendments sacrosanct? Yes or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Are the U.S. constitution and its amendments sacrosanct and an accurate reflection of good ethics or is it a good piece of work that constantly needs to be altered? Is it good practice to sight part(s) of the constitution and its amendments as solid evidence for one's argument on an ethical position?
    Interesting word choice, sacrosanct. Sacrosanct: beyond alteration, criticism, or interference, especially due to religious sanction; inviolable; sacred.

  4. #84
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Are the U.S. constitution and its amendments sacrosanct? Yes or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post
    Deltabtry, please look at the attached link and see if this is a good definition of what a conservative is. pease let us know. Thanks.

    The Russell Kirk Center: The Essence of Conservatism by Russell Kirk
    I like it and it's the truth, the problem we have are labels a shallow way of describing things and a easy way out, which in turn does us all a injustice of what things really are. I am a conservative as I said, and I subscribe to the very definition of the written word in that document, which also allows me to view change a reasonable and possible when we see fit. The link is spot on but I will add the word Republic meaning:
    A republic is a form of government in which the people, or some significant portion of them, retain supreme control over the government, not the other way around as we see today. Oh BTW I am a strong advocate of the tenth amendment, and with this being said this will be the avenue to realign ourselves to the true meaning of who we are.
    Last edited by deltabtry; 08-21-11 at 12:34 AM.

  5. #85
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Are the U.S. constitution and its amendments sacrosanct? Yes or No?

    This video clip was a defining moment for me at a very young age many years ago, non the less it makes a great point and pretty much places my beliefs spot on. If this actually happened they way it is portrayed in this clip, I would be both actors to the T.
    Last edited by deltabtry; 08-21-11 at 01:03 AM.

  6. #86
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,172

    Re: Are the U.S. constitution and its amendments sacrosanct? Yes or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    I like it and it's the truth, the problem we have are labels a shallow way of describing things and a easy way out, which in turn does us all a injustice of what things really are. I am a conservative as I said, and I subscribe to the very definition of the written word in that document, which also allows me to view change a reasonable and possible when we see fit. The link is spot on but I will add the word Republic meaning:
    A republic is a form of government in which the people, or some significant portion of them, retain supreme control over the government, not the other way around as we see today. Oh BTW I am a strong advocate of the tenth amendment, and with this being said this will be the avenue to realign ourselves to the true meaning of who we are.
    Glad you approved of it. Russell Kirk is the American Philosopher of conservatism. Edmund Burke was the original philosopher and Kirk borrows much from Burke. If you are interested, please let me recommend a book to you by Russell Kirk. It is The Conservative Mind, From Burke to Elliot. It was first published decades ago, but remains as true today as it did then. He also has a website even though he is no longer around to view it. It is The Russell Kirk Center

    I think I will see about starting a thread on "What is a Conservative" using Kirk text. I wonder if we can find a "What is a Liberal" to contrast with it?

    Whatif, by chance, did you review the link about conservatism? If yes, did you have any thoughts to share?

  7. #87
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,172

    Re: Are the U.S. constitution and its amendments sacrosanct? Yes or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    This video clip was a defining for me at a very young age many years ago, non the less it makes a great point and pretty much places my beliefs spot on. If this actually happened they way it is portrayed in this clip, I would be both actors to the T.
    I'm in general agreement with the observations about a republic. I'm more than pleased to live in one.

  8. #88
    Professor
    NGNM85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,571

    Re: Are the U.S. constitution and its amendments sacrosanct? Yes or No?

    Not only are they not sacrosanct, they were specifically intended not to be.
    Economic Left/Right: -7.25, Authoritarian/Libertarian:-7.13
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. -Noam Chomsky

  9. #89
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Are the U.S. constitution and its amendments sacrosanct? Yes or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post
    Glad you approved of it. Russell Kirk is the American Philosopher of conservatism. Edmund Burke was the original philosopher and Kirk borrows much from Burke. If you are interested, please let me recommend a book to you by Russell Kirk. It is The Conservative Mind, From Burke to Elliot. It was first published decades ago, but remains as true today as it did then. He also has a website even though he is no longer around to view it. It is The Russell Kirk Center

    I think I will see about starting a thread on "What is a Conservative" using Kirk text. I wonder if we can find a "What is a Liberal" to contrast with it?

    Whatif, by chance, did you review the link about conservatism? If yes, did you have any thoughts to share?
    Yes I think I will take you up on that recommendation, and I will also pass it along to my son. Also for, "what if" the link is good and true, but also look up republic and Libratarian as well. Although words to be guided by, it will be common sense that will always prevail.

  10. #90
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,172

    Re: Are the U.S. constitution and its amendments sacrosanct? Yes or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    Yes I think I will take you up on that recommendation, and I will also pass it along to my son. Also for, "what if" the link is good and true, but also look up republic and Libratarian as well. Although words to be guided by, it will be common sense that will always prevail.
    I may have erred, but I set up a new thread under Philosophical Discussion under Non-Political Forums.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •