View Poll Results: Would you support strictly using self-driving automobiles?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 28.85%
  • No

    28 53.85%
  • Unsure

    9 17.31%
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 158

Thread: Self-driving automobiles

  1. #1
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Self-driving automobiles

    As an applied mathematician and computer scientist, I am curious what percentage of the public would accept the conversion from using human-driven automobiles to self-driving automobiles. The necessary technology is clearly realistic. Let's assume, for the sake of simplicity, that the cost will be relatively the same. Here is just an initial list of benefits of my proposal:
    1. Prevention of DUI
    2. Prevention of accidents due to poor driving skills
    3. Prevention of traffic jams
    4. Potential to increase speed limits
    5. Freedom to focus on other things (child, eating, work, etc.)
    6. Auto-navigation

    Some of these even have benefits as a consequence, such as improved fuel efficiency as a result of fewer/no traffic jams. What support or opposition does anyone wish to provide?
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Self-driving automobiles

    It would really depend on what the specific system was. How much personalization was available for navigation, route determination, stops along the way, etc...

  3. #3
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Self-driving automobiles

    Sounds great, but we'll need smart roads as well as smart cars. And how would legal liability work? No fault to the occupant of a smart car, so the manufacturer of the car or the builder/operator of the the road will be the defendants. Add that to the price tag.

    This is a ways off.

  4. #4
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Self-driving automobiles

    Smart roads are one way to approach this, but are not necessary. Sensors and GPS would suffice. There is the trade-off that this will remove the need for a truck driver, but many jobs will also be created.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  5. #5
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Self-driving automobiles

    Self driving cars on highways and freeways gives you the most benefit and is the easiest to implement. Computers can more easily handle the limited number of variables and most long trips are spent on high speed roads. Cars networked together would also improve traffic flow. I am more skeptical for robots driving streets. Dealing with pedestrians and parking rely on having social knowledge that is very hard to program.

  6. #6
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Self-driving automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    It would really depend on what the specific system was. How much personalization was available for navigation, route determination, stops along the way, etc...
    I would certainly implement it in a manner which has flexibility to any reasonable extent. Choosing the shortest route to a single or multiple destinations would likely be the most commonly used option. However, you could certainly have a road map and trace a particular route. Similar to GPS, you can either choose a specific address or location/business name. This is only scratches the surface of details.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  7. #7
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Self-driving automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    As an applied mathematician and computer scientist, I am curious what percentage of the public would accept the conversion from using human-driven automobiles to self-driving automobiles. The necessary technology is clearly realistic. Let's assume, for the sake of simplicity, that the cost will be relatively the same. Here is just an initial list of benefits of my proposal:
    1. Prevention of DUI
    2. Prevention of accidents due to poor driving skills
    3. Prevention of traffic jams
    4. Potential to increase speed limits
    5. Freedom to focus on other things (child, eating, work, etc.)
    6. Auto-navigation

    Some of these even have benefits as a consequence, such as improved fuel efficiency as a result of fewer/no traffic jams. What support or opposition does anyone wish to provide?
    I think it would depend on how easy it would be for the actual live driver to take over the vehicle

  8. #8
    is totally not a robot.
    Juiposa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,591
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Self-driving automobiles

    No, I like to drive, and I want to continue driving myself.
    "After all, you know, there are worse things in life than death. I mean, if you've ever spent an evening with an insurance salesman, you know exactly what I mean."
    -Woody Allen

  9. #9
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Self-driving automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    I think it would depend on how easy it would be for the actual live driver to take over the vehicle
    Under what circumstances would you want/need to do so?
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  10. #10
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Self-driving automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Under what circumstances would you want/need to do so?
    That's a good question and I'm not sure I have the answer yet. I think I would just want to know that I could take control of the vehicle by simply pressing a button .. this way if some kind of technical difficulty occurred, there would be no accidents occurring due to technical glitches and the fallback of human operator could take control.

    I am curious .. what would you propose people would do if there were automated vehicles if they wanted to simply enjoy the act of driving?

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •