View Poll Results: Are they?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they are, and should be prosecuted.

    19 41.30%
  • Yes they are, but they shouldn't be prosecuted.

    19 41.30%
  • No they aren't.

    8 17.39%
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 126

Thread: Is this person distributing child pornography?

  1. #81
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,461

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    An Oklahoma teenager is swept up in laws aimed at protecting kids from child predators. He must register as a sex offender for life, as the worst level offender, after having a sex with his girlfriend, who said she was his age, 16. Sex between teenagers is no longer just a moral issue, it's a legal one.



    Phillip Alpert found out the hard way. He had just turned 18 when he sent a naked photo of his 16-year-old girlfriend, a photo she had taken and sent him, to dozens of her friends and family after an argument. The high school sweethearts had been dating for almost 2 years. "It was a stupid thing I did because I was upset and tired and it was the middle of the night and I was an immature kid," says Alpert.

    Orlando, Florida, police didn't see it that way. Alpert was arrested and charged with sending child pornography, a felony to which he pleaded no contest but was later convicted. He was sentenced to five years probation and required by Florida law to register as a sex offender.
    The top one is ridiculous, but the bottom one was predictable. You can be charged with a crime if you send pornography to people over the phone. I have heard of many people getting charges for that. My mom knows somebody who sent a photo of a naked fat lady singing about eating chicken, as a joke, to one of her friends, but she entered the wrong number. It went to an old lady. The old lady called the police, and she was charged with a crime. It's pretty easy for the police to figure out who you are too, because your number is attached to the message.

    I don't send porn or those lewd jokes with my phone because of that.

  2. #82
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,461

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    As a recent high school graduate, I've had experiences with this stuff. A girl in my grade posted naked pictures of herself on the Internet. She wasn't charged with anything, but the shame that it brought forced to her to move. Doing this kind of thing is incredibly stupid, and the "victim/perpetrator" will probably experience plenty of social pressure to not do it again. There is no reason to bring in the DA.

    When people think "sex offenders", they think "Creep in the bushes." They want to punish this person, and legislators are more than willing to win their vote by passing laws that are tough on sex offenders. I say, good, punish the child molestors and rapists. Make them wish they hadn't done what they did, so that they don't do it again. The problem is that these punishments often extend to people who don't deserve them, like 18 year-olds having sex with their 17 year-old girlfriends. Lumping in teenage porn stars, public urinaters, and people a few months senior to their significant others with rapists and child molestors is ridiculous, flies in the face of the 8th Amendment, and does nothing to make us or our children safer. Charging minors for distributing pictures of themselves are ridiculous.
    I feel the same way, which is why I mentioned Kim Kardashian's experience in one of my posts. She was a naive child, but the fact that she knows pedophiles are out looking for those pics of her, is a huge emotional burden on her... and it's understandable. If you want to argue that they should have control over their bodies, it doesn't make sense... because once those photos are out, they can lose control over those images quickly.

    I am just really annoyed that some people in this thread have more or less stated their support for this type of behavior, and act as though they see no issue with it. On top of that they try to ****ing act like these kids have no right to feel hurt or victimized by the fact that pedophiles could end up exploiting those images. They basically want to give these kids a mile of slack to end up getting themselves hurt, and label it freedom or something.

  3. #83
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,461

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    The name of the charge is irrelevant. The women in the dressing room had an expectation of privacy and putting a phone under the door violated that. If the guy had watched a couple having sex on a public sidewalk, he would still be a voyeur but not guilty of anything.



    I already explained that. Possession is banned under the concept that obtaining it creates demand and thus leads to more children being exploited.
    Which is why peeping toms are not behaving legally. If somebody is standing in my yard, on my property, and is watching me through my windows... that is violating my privacy. It's not illegal to watch something occur in public, even if the act occurring in public is illegal or lewd. The profession of photography is legal... The paparazzi is legal. Somebody simply watching you have sex is not a crime either... people do it all the time when making porn movies, etc. Violating somebody's privacy to watch them have sex is against the law.

    ... next

  4. #84
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    I'm not sure why everyone has to take everything so literally and can't come up with ideas on their own easily. If this was caught at school perhaps counseling to the problems this could cause might be appropriate. No?

    Perhaps a class that is graphic that shows what things like this could lead to if a person with bad intents gets hold of pics like this?
    It doesn't need to be a crime for that to happen. The school counselor can talk to the student to about it; there is no expectation of due process to meet with a school counselor. For that matter, if you really wanted to scare them ****less you could have a cop talk to them about it. Again, there's no expectation of due process if it's just a discussion.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 08-20-11 at 07:08 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #85
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I feel the same way, which is why I mentioned Kim Kardashian's experience in one of my posts. She was a naive child, but the fact that she knows pedophiles are out looking for those pics of her, is a huge emotional burden on her... and it's understandable. If you want to argue that they should have control over their bodies, it doesn't make sense... because once those photos are out, they can lose control over those images quickly.
    Again, good reason for parents/teachers/whoever to talk to minors about why they shouldn't do this. It's still a horrid reason for the legal system to get involved.

    I am just really annoyed that some people in this thread have more or less stated their support for this type of behavior, and act as though they see no issue with it.
    Yeah because not wanting to throw a teenager in jail for being a teenager is clearly the same as "seeing no issue with it."
    You posted in a thread about whether or not this was a crime, talking about how dangerous this behavior was...then you called it a straw man when I suggested that criminally punishing the "victim" was counterproductive. So I still have no idea what, if anything, you are suggesting needs to be done.

    On top of that they try to ****ing act like these kids have no right to feel hurt or victimized by the fact that pedophiles could end up exploiting those images.
    They can feel hurt and victimized all they like. How is that situation made better by the law getting involved and charging the minor with a crime?

    They basically want to give these kids a mile of slack to end up getting themselves hurt, and label it freedom or something.
    Although there are some exceptions, I'm generally skeptical about laws meant to protect people from themselves, especially when they involve significant punishments to the "victim" for actions that are unlikely to result in significant harm. There are a lot of stupid, self-destructive things that teenagers do that are a lot more harmful than posting nude pictures of themselves online.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 08-20-11 at 07:09 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #86
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I feel the same way, which is why I mentioned Kim Kardashian's experience in one of my posts. She was a naive child, but the fact that she knows pedophiles are out looking for those pics of her, is a huge emotional burden on her... and it's understandable. If you want to argue that they should have control over their bodies, it doesn't make sense... because once those photos are out, they can lose control over those images quickly.
    It is stupidity, but it is their choice. They may have lost control of the images, but they chose to put them there.


    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I am just really annoyed that some people in this thread have more or less stated their support for this type of behavior, and act as though they see no issue with it. On top of that they try to ****ing act like these kids have no right to feel hurt or victimized by the fact that pedophiles could end up exploiting those images. They basically want to give these kids a mile of slack to end up getting themselves hurt, and label it freedom or something.
    Nobody is excusing it. They are pointing out that no one is harmed by someone looking at pictures on the Internet. It's very creepy and younger kids may not understand, but the 14 and up crowd should know what they're getting into.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  7. #87
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,461

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Again, good reason for parents/teachers/whoever to talk to minors about why they shouldn't do this. It's still a horrid reason for the legal system to get involved.



    Yeah because not wanting to throw a teenager in jail for being a teenager is clearly the same as "seeing no issue with it."
    You posted in a thread about whether or not this was a crime, talking about how dangerous this behavior was...then you called it a straw man when I suggested that criminally punishing the "victim" was counterproductive. So I still have no idea what, if anything, you are suggesting needs to be done.



    They can feel hurt and victimized all they like. How is that situation made better by the law getting involved and charging the minor with a crime?



    Although there are some exceptions, I'm generally skeptical about laws meant to protect people from themselves, especially when they involve significant punishments to the "victim" for actions that are unlikely to result in significant harm. There are a lot of stupid, self-destructive things that teenagers do that are a lot more harmful than posting nude pictures of themselves online.
    I have said what I think should be done... pages back. I don't think that they should be charged with a serious crime, or that it should fall under first amendment rights of speech either. Do you think the scenario in the OP should fall under free speech like other porn does?

  8. #88
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I have said what I think should be done... pages back. I don't think that they should be charged with a serious crime, or that it should fall under first amendment rights of speech either.
    How does charging them with ANY crime make the situation better?

    Do you think the scenario in the OP should fall under free speech like other porn does?
    I think it falls under the "teenagers will be teenagers" section of the Constitution.
    Criminally punishing someone for this is a gross overreaction. The consequences probably range from nothing at all to temporary embarrassment. It's the kind of thing that's better addressed by their parents talking to them about the dangers and perhaps grounding them, than by the criminal justice system getting involved.

    Ultimately there isn't much that anyone can do to stop teenagers from behaving like morons occasionally. And to the extent that I care about them behaving like morons, I choose to save my caring for those moronic behaviors that are actually likely to cause serious harm.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 08-20-11 at 07:29 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #89
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    How can one simultaneously be an evil exploiter of children and be the victim of said evil exploitation.

    These crazy prosecutions are the logical equivalent of arresting a masturbating woman for raping herself.
    Sorry, this is a silly analogy. Rape is sexual contact w/out consent. The concern over children being prosecuted for doing something like this is so over exaggerated compared to the times it's actually occurred. It makes me wonder who's actually behind wanting to tank child porn laws and why.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  10. #90
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    How does charging them with ANY crime make the situation better?



    I think it falls under the "teenagers will be teenagers" section of the Constitution.
    Criminally punishing someone for this is a gross overreaction. The consequences probably range from nothing at all to temporary embarrassment. It's the kind of thing that's better addressed by their parents talking to them about the dangers and perhaps grounding them, than by the criminal justice system getting involved.

    Ultimately there isn't much that anyone can do to stop teenagers from behaving like morons occasionally. And to the extent that I care about them behaving like morons, I choose to save my caring for those moronic behaviors that are actually likely to cause serious harm.
    What if a teen uploads pic of their underage friends? Still think that's no harm, no foul?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •