View Poll Results: Are they?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they are, and should be prosecuted.

    19 41.30%
  • Yes they are, but they shouldn't be prosecuted.

    19 41.30%
  • No they aren't.

    8 17.39%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 126

Thread: Is this person distributing child pornography?

  1. #61
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I still don't think if Penthouse or Playboy published Sally Mann the images would become suddenly illegal though.
    I just read a little bit more about Pretty Baby with Brooke Shields. She was 12, not 10, when she filmed that movie and she was totally nude in it. It was shown all across the US. The film earned a number of positive reviews, including one from Roger Ebert and another from the New York Times.

    I'm wondering if the laws have changed so significantly from the 1970s.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    While it is unquestionably child pornography, I wouldn't charge the individual with a crime, I certainly would contact the parents and let them know what their child is doing and remind them that, so long as she is a minor, they are legally responsible for her actions. The next time, I wouldn't be so nice.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #63
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    Pretty sure there are laws against peeping toms, and you don't have to break and enter to install a camera in the bedroom. I have heard about landlords doing that very thing. And some celebrity built a hotel and installed cameras in the women's bathroom. I remember hearing about that. He apparently had a toilet fetish.
    Installing camera's in bathroom is illegal because it violates the expectation of privacy, not because voyeurism is illegal. It doesn't matter whether or not the owner plans to whack it to the footage or not. The state has no reason to care what people get off on, only on protecting the rights of its citizens. A minor posting their own naked picture may be foolish, but they are not infringing upon anyone's else rights.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    This came up in another thread, but I felt it warrants it's own discussion.

    The scenario is a minor, takes naked/sexual pictures of themselves, and posts it on the internet. Now my question is, are they distributing child pornography, and if so, should they be prosecuted like any other child pornographer?

    Thoughts?
    I have an additional question to add to yours:

    What if the underaged is distributing naked photos of themselves to another underaged person?

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    A person who attempts suicide (usually) has serious mental problems that need to be addressed by a psychologist to prevent them from harming themselves. A dumb teenager who takes nude pictures of themselves is just being a dumb teenager. What kind of "help" do you think the government can offer them to change that reality?
    I'm not sure why everyone has to take everything so literally and can't come up with ideas on their own easily. If this was caught at school perhaps counseling to the problems this could cause might be appropriate. No?

    Perhaps a class that is graphic that shows what things like this could lead to if a person with bad intents gets hold of pics like this?
    Last edited by 1Perry; 08-20-11 at 11:10 AM.

  6. #66
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    Actually perhaps the law enforcement first should find out whether the child was coerced, conned, and or forced from off the camera, if so then yes prosecute the adult. Although if this isn't the case making a child into a felon is counter productive and will be for the child and society for many years to come, so how would this be helpful in correcting the child behavior. There is a reason why this child would do such a thing, many children engage in actions due to some other motivations or mimicking some else's actions...just IMO of course.
    Last edited by deltabtry; 08-20-11 at 11:22 AM.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    So, because they don't understand the outcomes of uploading nudie pictures of themselves, what we should do is arrest them, charge them with producing child pornography and place them on the sex offenders list for life. That'll sure learn 'em, good.
    Why do people do this? I disagree with charging them with CP also but there is no need for the hypoerbole. Except for very rare cases a minors record does not follow them into adulthood.

  8. #68
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    I have an additional question to add to yours:

    What if the underaged is distributing naked photos of themselves to another underaged person?
    In preparation for that case, teach children that the sight of nudity is not going to burn their retina.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    Actually perhaps the law enforcement first should find out whether the child was coerced, conned, and or forced from off the camera, if so then yes prosecute.
    This is a very good point as to why someone does need to get involved.

    Although if this isn't the case making a child into a felon is counter productive and will be for the child and society for many years to come, so how would this be helpful in correcting the child behavior. There is a reason why this child would do such a thing, many children engage in actions due to some other motivations or mimicking some else's actions...just IMO of course.
    Again though, it's extremely rare that we charge a minor with a felony and the only cases I can think of is with murder. Even those who said it should be CP said they wouldn't support it following them into adulthood.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Is this person distributing child pornography?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Installing camera's in bathroom is illegal because it violates the expectation of privacy, not because voyeurism is illegal.
    Voyeurism is illegal in many cases. Before you get into a "expectation of privacy" what was he charged with?

    Man pleads guilty to Mall voyeurism

    If you look you can find all sorts of people charged with voyeurism for doing all sorts of things.

    It doesn't matter whether or not the owner plans to whack it to the footage or not. The state has no reason to care what people get off on, only on protecting the rights of its citizens. A minor posting their own naked picture may be foolish, but they are not infringing upon anyone's else rights.
    People are arrested all the time for having child pornography on their computers to get off on. They didn't take the pics in most cases. Simply have nude pics of a minor on your computer and you'll get arrested.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •