View Poll Results: Does evolution happen

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Evolution happens, and it is random

    65 71.43%
  • Evolution happens and is guided by a higher power

    10 10.99%
  • There is not enough information to know for sure

    7 7.69%
  • No, evolutuon does not happen

    5 5.49%
  • I don't know

    4 4.40%
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 311

Thread: Evolution

  1. #251
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I think you are being dishonest if you assume or submit that MOST that believe in evolution are learned folk. Some? Sure...even many. But all? Heck...follow this thread and it is easy to see that many have their own 'belief' in science...and thats all good...really. But if you cant explain the existence of all matter you are left with "I believe...because...I think...and...Im not really sure...and I dont really know..." The origins of a mere cup of dirt defies our accumulated 'knowledge'. Lots of theory tho...
    I wasn't making such a supposition (and I completely agree with you. Go back to my post #231). If I did, I apologize for not being clear.

    I was simply pointing out to Wake that there ARE scientific explanations for how each of those things came to be. To say that those he interacts with are "left silent" either means 1) that they're idiots (meaning, for instance, that they believe in evolution but have no clear idea of how it works) or 2) that he was being dishonest. I thought I made that pretty clear, but apparently not.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  2. #252
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Evolution

    [QUOTE=MusicAdventurer;1059755452]So how many people do you think take the various versions of deity based creation literally (I am including all the creation stories that are found in the various religions)?[quote] I was speaking about the the beliefs people had in the past, not the beliefs they currently have. But to answer your question: I don't know.



    I'm curious, what do you think the current theory is on how matter was formed? What supporting evidence is there? I agree that no phenomenon needs a "God" or "Gods" - the explanations for the unknown are a matter of faith or lack of faith in some kind of "spiritual" force that is beyond our understanding
    Formation of matter: Which matter? Hydrogen? Helium? The rest? I spoke of knowing how elements form, not how the stuff that makes up matter came into being. But, if you are wondering how heavier elements form, they are a byproduct of star formation, life, and eventual destruction processes. Many large stars explode, scattering elements that they have 'created' out into space, where they are later gathered up into new star systems with new stars (and possibly planets, which are made of these elements).



    O.K. ; what evidence do we have (I am a little familiar with the hypotheses, but need a refresher)?
    Evidence of the big bang singularity itself? Very little. But, we do have a lot of other evidence. One such thing is that the universe was very much smaller than today. But, it would be better for you to read the rundown yourself: Evidence for the Big Bang



    [quote]While science has yet been able to support evidence of some kind of "spiritual" force, I am wondering whether the lack of ability to scientifically measure such a force precludes the existence of such a force? Is it possible that what people believe to be "spiritual" is in fact an incomprehensible force "embedded"/"a part of" the physical phenomena that we measure scientifically?[quote] I spoke of all the major occurrences in our world and lives eventually having substantiated naturalistic explanations. I specifically stated god might still exist (is not precluded), but is rather inconsequential (being of no consequence - irrelevant). I am not sure why you are asking about precluding the existence of god when I specifically stated that god could still exist. I am not sure how to be more clear. I don't believe in god, but that is beside the point. A person could still have faith that there exists a god or gods, but that god would of necessity have to be of no consequence. If all major happenings in the universe and in our lives would be explained by substantiated science, then god would not be doing anything, would never have done anything, that matters. He would exist, but not be important.



    I am wondering what evidence you have that supports the idea that all humans instinctually know there is no "spiritual" force that exists?
    That's not what I said. I said that they know that as god gets explained out of the creation of mankind, the proximate creation of the moon, earth and stars, gets explained out of the creation of the elements, gets explained out of the creation of the land masses... people instinctively know that if god is not consequential in these things, he may not be consequential in anything. That is what I said, but have restated it differently now. I added that this threat of relegating god to inconsequence is what led to resistance from religion to science in the past, resistance to science from religious people in the present, and it will again lead to increased religious resistance to science in the future.

    People want their gods to be consequential. They want their gods to have a purpose for being. Like creating things, and guiding lives, and intervening by bending the laws of the universe to make things better. If we found that gods don't do any of these things, then we need not be concerned about them, even if they do exist.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  3. #253
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    and some people care whether their beliefs are true. there are ways to do that such as with reason and evidence.

    do you care whether your beliefs about evolution are true? how do you justify them?
    I may be the first honest person to say that frankly, I dont 'care' all that much whether or not my thoughts (I have no 'beliefs' on evolution) are 'true.' On my scale of importance, evolution is like...a 2. Maybe a 2.5. I have a full time job, another kinda full time job, do a significant amount of pro-bono work and a private consulting business, not to mention my home, several investment properties, a married relationship to continue to develop...AND my golf handicap....sheesh...Im exhausted just typing all that. So...I understand basic theories on evolution. I even take the time occasionally to brush up on new theory. But since I really dont have to worry if I am landing on Seti Alpha six or Seti Alpha five...well...life kinda takes precedence.

  4. #254
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I may be the first honest person to say that frankly, I dont 'care' all that much whether or not my thoughts (I have no 'beliefs' on evolution) are 'true.' On my scale of importance, evolution is like...a 2. Maybe a 2.5. I have a full time job, another kinda full time job, do a significant amount of pro-bono work and a private consulting business, not to mention my home, several investment properties, a married relationship to continue to develop...AND my golf handicap....sheesh...Im exhausted just typing all that. So...I understand basic theories on evolution. I even take the time occasionally to brush up on new theory. But since I really dont have to worry if I am landing on Seti Alpha six or Seti Alpha five...well...life kinda takes precedence.
    Unless you're a scientist, evolution doesn't really impact your life. Even if you're a politician, the only time that you're going to have to address evolution is when it comes time to authorize funding requests for scientists who study issues pertaining to evolution. Other than that, you can be a raging religious or leftist creationist and it doesn't matter. Well, scratch that. It doesn't matter if you're a religious creationists for no public policy is ever built on the basis of that fallacy. Liberal creationism and politics though mix like oil and water. This means that liberal creationists do more damage when they are politicians because they actually implement their myths via policy.

  5. #255
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I think you are being dishonest if you assume or submit that MOST that believe in evolution are learned folk. Some? Sure...even many. But all? Heck...follow this thread and it is easy to see that many have their own 'belief' in science...and thats all good...really. But if you cant explain the existence of all matter you are left with "I believe...because...I think...and...Im not really sure...and I dont really know..." The origins of a mere cup of dirt defies our accumulated 'knowledge'. Lots of theory tho...
    Well, if a science minded person says "I don't know", which is what you are saying they are saying, then they are taking the most rational position available. Is there something wrong with that?

    A person saying that they know, when they have no reason to, is foolishness. It seems like you think that they would be more rational by making some sort of unsubstantiated claim. Which unsubstantiated claim should they make, about that mere cup of dirt? Or are you an equal opportunity unsubstantiated claim accepter, and they can make any one they wish, believe it, and still be deemed rational?

    How about this one: An infinite sized army of magical pixies that have existed for eternity got together and created that cup o' dirt out of nothing. They're not that strong individually, but together they pack quite a wallop. They thought it would be entertaining to create that pile of dirt along with at the same time creating the whole universe, as a place where they could finally wreak endless mischief. They're not doing anything on Earth at this current time in our history, but in the past they have caused people to believe the most outlandish things!! Many of which I am sure you are already aware. We're not even sure if they are in our universe right now at all, because they are pure spirit and not of the substance of this universe, so there is no way for us to detect them. They may even have all destroyed one another, cuz they only occasionally agree to act in concert, and most of the time are fighting. But since they existed for eternity in the past, they probably can't destroy one another.

    Am I rational for believing this? It explains your cup o' dirt, and just about anything else we don't yet have an explanation for. It is even a bit more rational that the claim that god would WANT to do anything, so god couldn't want to create a universe, or us in it. Whereas the Pixie Army at least has a plausible explanation.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  6. #256
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    which god?
    and you believe this because..... your holybook says so?
    do you have proof otherwise?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #257
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    I was speaking about the the beliefs people had in the past, not the beliefs they currently have. But to answer your question: I don't know.
    Fair enough; I am thinking that some people, likely the less educated ones, take certain religious texts a little too literally, but I don't know either, I'm just speculating

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Formation of matter: Which matter? Hydrogen? Helium? The rest? I spoke of knowing how elements form, not how the stuff that makes up matter came into being. But, if you are wondering how heavier elements form, they are a byproduct of star formation, life, and eventual destruction processes. Many large stars explode, scattering elements that they have 'created' out into space, where they are later gathered up into new star systems with new stars (and possibly planets, which are made of these elements).
    O.K. I wasn't sure if you were referring only specific elements or matter itself; clearly you were referring to elements only.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Evidence of the big bang singularity itself? Very little. But, we do have a lot of other evidence. One such thing is that the universe was very much smaller than today. But, it would be better for you to read the rundown yourself: Evidence for the Big Bang
    That was my understanding as well; thus my position that because the method of the formation of matter is not well supported, the existence of one or many "spiritual" forces is not precluded

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    I spoke of all the major occurrences in our world and lives eventually having substantiated naturalistic explanations. I specifically stated god might still exist (is not precluded), but is rather inconsequential (being of no consequence - irrelevant). I am not sure why you are asking about precluding the existence of god when I specifically stated that god could still exist. I am not sure how to be more clear. I don't believe in god, but that is beside the point. A person could still have faith that there exists a god or gods, but that god would of necessity have to be of no consequence. If all major happenings in the universe and in our lives would be explained by substantiated science, then god would not be doing anything, would never have done anything, that matters. He would exist, but not be important.
    O.K., I wasn't asking whether or not you personally believed in "spiritual" forces; only wondering if you deny the possibility of them.

    I do disagree that the scientific method could ever rule out the existence of "spiritual" forces ... unless of course there were some way to measure spiritual forces; as such forces (if they exist) are likely incomprehensible by the human brain, it could be possible that everything we observe in our physical world is part of a "spiritual" force, this is of course a matter of faith and not science

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    That's not what I said. I said that they know that as god gets explained out of the creation of mankind, the proximate creation of the moon, earth and stars, gets explained out of the creation of the elements, gets explained out of the creation of the land masses... people instinctively know that if god is not consequential in these things, he may not be consequential in anything.
    Sure, from my studies of psychology, doubt regarding any believe is highly supported to be inevitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    That is what I said, but have restated it differently now. I added that this threat of relegating god to inconsequence is what led to resistance from religion to science in the past, resistance to science from religious people in the present, and it will again lead to increased religious resistance to science in the future.
    Sure, I can see how the fear of science somehow disproving the existence of "spiritual" forces could make highly spiritual individuals uneasy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    People want their gods to be consequential. They want their gods to have a purpose for being. Like creating things, and guiding lives, and intervening by bending the laws of the universe to make things better. If we found that gods don't do any of these things, then we need not be concerned about them, even if they do exist.
    Couldn't agree more; history and psychological theories have supported the idea that human existence is essentially synonymous with believing in some kind of explanation for our world

  8. #258
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I may be the first
    you aren't.

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I dont 'care' all that much whether or not my beliefs are 'true.'
    then there is no point in discussing it with you if all you can contribute is an arbitrary opinion.



    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    On my scale of importance, evolution is like...a 2. maybe 2.5
    so? there are lots of unimportant matters and ideas. but why would you willfully want to be wrong about any of them ?

    its one thing to be apathetic. its quite another to intentionally deceive yourself.

    to use an analogy, false beliefs are like weeds. though they are usually irrelevant they tend to spring up in unpredictable places and ruin the plants around them.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  9. #259
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    do you have proof otherwise?
    i have the same amount of proof that a particular god created the universe as i do that a magic leprechaun did it. what reason or evidence do you have to believe that either are true (which is NOT the same thing as claiming they are false).

    think about it this way: the number of people who sneezed between 1945 and 1970 is either even or odd. according to your line of thinking, unless there is proof that the number of people who sneezed is not odd then we should believe its odd.

    if you understand why that is flawed reasoning then you will understand why your line of thinking is flawed.
    Last edited by scourge99; 08-25-11 at 06:31 PM.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  10. #260
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Well, if a science minded person says "I don't know", which is what you are saying they are saying, then they are taking the most rational position available. Is there something wrong with that?

    A person saying that they know, when they have no reason to, is foolishness. It seems like you think that they would be more rational by making some sort of unsubstantiated claim. Which unsubstantiated claim should they make, about that mere cup of dirt? Or are you an equal opportunity unsubstantiated claim accepter, and they can make any one they wish, believe it, and still be deemed rational?

    How about this one: An infinite sized army of magical pixies that have existed for eternity got together and created that cup o' dirt out of nothing. They're not that strong individually, but together they pack quite a wallop. They thought it would be entertaining to create that pile of dirt along with at the same time creating the whole universe, as a place where they could finally wreak endless mischief. They're not doing anything on Earth at this current time in our history, but in the past they have caused people to believe the most outlandish things!! Many of which I am sure you are already aware. We're not even sure if they are in our universe right now at all, because they are pure spirit and not of the substance of this universe, so there is no way for us to detect them. They may even have all destroyed one another, cuz they only occasionally agree to act in concert, and most of the time are fighting. But since they existed for eternity in the past, they probably can't destroy one another.

    Am I rational for believing this? It explains your cup o' dirt, and just about anything else we don't yet have an explanation for. It is even a bit more rational that the claim that god would WANT to do anything, so god couldn't want to create a universe, or us in it. Whereas the Pixie Army at least has a plausible explanation.
    The Pixie army theory is as acceptable as the "well...it just has always been there" argument. I dont know is certainly an acceptable answer. An honest answer even. Which is why it probably is a good idea NOT to follow "I dont know" with, "but I know you are wrong", or "but you are an idiot for believing in God." It would be equally silly to say "I KNOW that there is a God." Believe? Sure. Hope? by all means. Intuitively feel? Why not.

    When it comes to evolution, there are lots of theories as to 'how' complex organs are created. But 'why' is another thing. Natural selection I get. The macro evolutionary process...not so much.

Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •