View Poll Results: Does evolution happen

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Evolution happens, and it is random

    65 71.43%
  • Evolution happens and is guided by a higher power

    10 10.99%
  • There is not enough information to know for sure

    7 7.69%
  • No, evolutuon does not happen

    5 5.49%
  • I don't know

    4 4.40%
Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 311

Thread: Evolution

  1. #221
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    there is a monumental gap seperating beliefs based on
    1) evidence + reason
    2) credulity (perhaps gullibility) to holy book tales and unverifiable testimony, and emotions.
    yeah... there is a monumental difference in believing that God created the universe out of nothingness and in believing that the universe just happened to spring into being out of nothingness. there is no evidence for either one.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #222
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I suppose I'll get some newer books.

    Problem. Some don't mesh up; meaning they differe slightly in each case I've read so far. Meh, I'll have to make up my own mind on their beliefs.
    Science doesn't hold all of the answers, but it does make an honest attempt at finding out more. All I'm saying is that if you want to know more about someone else's beliefs, the answers are out there if only you look for them.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  3. #223
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,240

    Re: Evolution

    A singularity is not "nothingness", and the background hiss between stations on your radio is evidence.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  4. #224
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Oh I admit I can't prove or explain scientifically how God came to be. I know that. Just, when they ridicule me, I ask the equivalent on how creation came to be and they're left with suppositions, assumptions, etc.
    But they probably don't care how it all came to be, in the sense that you are thinking. They probably don't need to know an alternate explanation is proven in order to believe that acceptance of another completely unsubstantiated explanation is foolish.

    Let me be clear: I don't believe in the big bang, because it is not substantiated enough yet. I don't have an accepted explanation for the inception of the universe. But I also know that believing the completely unsubstantiated claim that god created the universe is even more foolish than accepting the big bang would be, because it has zero evidence, while the big bang has at least some.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  5. #225
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    yeah... there is a monumental difference in believing that God created the universe out of nothingness and in believing that the universe just happened to spring into being out of nothingness. there is no evidence for either one.
    which one do you believe? i dont believe either.

    i dont claim to KNOW things i dont and i dont believe things without justification.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  6. #226
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    A singularity is not "nothingness", and the background hiss between stations on your radio is evidence.
    so where did this supposed singularity come from? and radio static is hardly evidence for the existance of a billions year old singularity.
    Last edited by OscarB63; 08-25-11 at 03:25 PM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #227
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    which one do you believe? i dont believe either.

    i dont claim to KNOW things i dont and i dont believe things without justification.

    so what do you believe?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #228
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    yeah... there is a monumental difference in believing that God created the universe out of nothingness and in believing that the universe just happened to spring into being out of nothingness. there is no evidence for either one.
    Except for one thing.. applying the universe came from nothing to mankinds level of scientific understanding of it is incorrect.. the universe came from a "we do not know thing".

    Science does not have any way of knowing what was before the singularity, or whether something spawned this or not.. we do not even know precisely what the singularity was - yet alone what may or may not have been there before it, but the singularity itself was not "nothing"

    The universe came from nothing argument is a straw man, and not an accurate reflection of the scientific claims made.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  9. #229
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    A singularity is not "nothingness", and the background hiss between stations on your radio is evidence.
    Not so fast. There's actually more than one potential explanation for that background radiation.

    BB top 30 problems, scroll down to number two on the list. I found this site while googling and doing a little research, and it's surprisingly rather well-sourced.

    I've always been somewhat skeptical of the BBT (and for those who can't read or who like to jump to conclusions: i said skeptical, not doubtful). I don't disbelieve the theory, I simply don't think that the theory rests upon as solid a foundation as many folks seem to think. Nevertheless, I do realize it's the most comprehensive theory that explains the universe's existence to date.

    Bottom line, I still think the universe is too vast and mysterious for us to fully understand at this point in time.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 08-25-11 at 03:34 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  10. #230
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    so what do you believe?
    about what? i know/believe the universe as we know it arose from the big bang because there is significant and compelling evidence of this. how or why the big bang occurred, i dont know.

    i dont know in the same way i dont know if the number of people who sneezed between 1950 and 1975 is odd or even. perhaps one day i will know or have justification to believe but until that day it is folly to claim to know or believe one way or another.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •