View Poll Results: Does evolution happen

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Evolution happens, and it is random

    65 71.43%
  • Evolution happens and is guided by a higher power

    10 10.99%
  • There is not enough information to know for sure

    7 7.69%
  • No, evolutuon does not happen

    5 5.49%
  • I don't know

    4 4.40%
Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 311

Thread: Evolution

  1. #211
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I think his point was stated by others as well...the irony of people that 'believe' in something they dont really know or understand being critical of others that 'believe' in something they dont really know or understand.
    This... yes.

    I am often ridiculed for believing in God, yet when I question them about how we, life, the earth, the moon, and everything came to be, they are left silent.

  2. #212
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Imagine your surprise if they discover a dragon's fossil.

    If they find hardcore, absolutely concrete evidence, then that is something to be reckoned with.

    There was a quote I once read that was, I think, this: "Science doesn't prove; it probes." I can't remember who said that but it makes me question everything.
    I love imagining such things as them finding dragon bones with evidence that they warmed their eggs with fire or something! That would be truly awesome.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  3. #213
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    So evolution and evolutionists make absolutely no guesses or theories on hw life and creation came to be? Boy, I'm really getting crossed signals frm those I debated n a different forum.

    I think there are certain adaptions that animals make, but I don't believe that humans came from animals. The "missing link" has never been found.

    I don't believe in evolution because it clashes with my religion.
    Yes, they do make guesses, these are called "hypothesis". Then they test the hypothesis, when these guesses accurately predict things and there is support through testing that the guesses were right then they ultimately become theories. which are guesses that have then been substantiated and are no longer guesses, but rather based on evidence observation prediction and testing.


    Humans ARE animals.. or do you also deny that they are mammals, primates, and vertebrates as well? We have hair on our bodies, mammary glands, five digit hands and feet and a backbone, we meet all of the criteria for the above classifications. You cannot be any of these UNLESS you are an animal. * this is just a rough outline of the basics, the traits that we have that define each of these classifications run much deeper and more detailed than that.

    If you do not believe in evolution because it clashes with your religion, so be it, that is your prerogative, don't. Your faith and your desire to not accept it or the evidence for it does not change the immense level of testing, predicting, scrutiny, criticism that it has withstood - all of which substantiates and bolsters the solidity of the theory.

    Genetics could have easily disproven the entire thing if the discoveries made in this new field did not match what was predicted.. it did no such thing, it only solidified that which was very solid to begin with even more.
    Last edited by marduc; 08-25-11 at 03:09 PM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  4. #214
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    This... yes.

    I am often ridiculed for believing in God, yet when I question them about how we, life, the earth, the moon, and everything came to be, they are left silent.
    Crack open a biology or astronomy textbook. For scientific theories that are just theories and remain unproven, I take everything I read with a grain of salt, but to say that "they are left silent" means either that you're talking to idiots, or that you're being dishonest. There are scientific explanations out there for how all of these things came into being. Please do a little of your own research.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  5. #215
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    This... yes.

    I am often ridiculed for believing in God, yet when I question them about how we, life, the earth, the moon, and everything came to be, they are left silent.
    And when they ask you how your god came to be, are you any less silent? Sure, you say that he always existed, but do you have any more evidence that he always existed than they have for their guesses about the big bang and abiogenesis?
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  6. #216
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Crack open a biology or astronomy textbook. For scientific theories that are just theories and remain unproven, I take everything I read with a grain of salt, but to say that "they are left silent" means either you're talking to idiots, or that you're being dishonest.
    I do take them with a grain of salt.

    I'm being figurative with "they are left silent". Means they have no concrete reasoning. An example would be me asking you how we, life, earth, and moon came to be.

  7. #217
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    And when they ask you how your god came to be, are you any less silent? Sure, you say that he always existed, but do you have any more evidence that he always existed than they have for their guesses about the big bang and abiogenesis?
    Oh I admit I can't prove or explain scientifically how God came to be. I know that. Just, when they ridicule me, I ask the equivalent on how creation came to be and they're left with suppositions, assumptions, etc.

  8. #218
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I think his point was stated by others as well...the irony of people that 'believe' in something they dont really know or understand being critical of others that 'believe' in something they dont really know or understand.
    there is a monumental gap seperating beliefs based on
    1) evidence + reason
    2) credulity (perhaps gullibility) to holy book tales and unverifiable testimony, and emotions.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  9. #219
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I do take them with a grain of salt.

    I'm being figurative with "they are left silent". Means they have no concrete reasoning. An example would be me asking you how we, life, earth, and moon came to be.
    Alright, if you want answers, stop talking to random people and just do like I said, open a bio or astronomy textbook. Or go on wikipedia. It's a very useful resource. You'll find plenty of "concrete reasoning."

    Here's one, for starters:

    Abiogenesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  10. #220
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Alright, if you want answers, stop talking to random people and just do like I said, open a bio or astronomy textbook. Or go on wikipedia. It's a very useful resource.

    Here's one, for starters:

    Abiogenesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I suppose I'll get some newer books.

    Problem. Some don't mesh up; meaning they differe slightly in each case I've read so far. Meh, I'll have to make up my own mind on their beliefs.

Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •