View Poll Results: Does evolution happen

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Evolution happens, and it is random

    65 71.43%
  • Evolution happens and is guided by a higher power

    10 10.99%
  • There is not enough information to know for sure

    7 7.69%
  • No, evolutuon does not happen

    5 5.49%
  • I don't know

    4 4.40%
Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 311

Thread: Evolution

  1. #111
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    What's more likely? Something like us shot some RNA at who knows how many possibly inhabitable planets (intentionally or not)... or... life spontaneously appeared here.
    So where did those people come from? At some point, you have to deal with life appearing somewhere without someone already living doing it. And there is absolutely no mathematical way to calculate the "odds" of which is more likely in a hypothetical situation. All we can do is look at the evidence, and see what seems to have occurred.

    Also, nothing suggests that this process only happens on Earth. Again, we have no idea how common Earth-like conditions are. If there are other planets out there like this one, there's nothing to stop this same thing from happening there.

    Seriously, your argument seems to suggest that life is both common and rare at the same time.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  2. #112
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,419

    Re: Evolution

    So where did those people come from?
    I dunno where people came from. I just see what's likely, within our limited perception. It is neither that we (the earth) are the center of the universe, nor the source of life. One can jump through hoops with volcano electricity, or accept the obvious - stuff moves around.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 08-19-11 at 04:51 PM.

  3. #113
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,419

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    and yet there is no hard evidence that a fish ever evolved into a reptile.
    You can find examples of the evidence you are looking for in any museum of natural history. For example, the KU Museum of Natural history is full of examples of transitional fossils, and its just a university museum in Kansas. More importantly though, the evidence is in you and me and in every living thing on the planet. For example, we all share 96% of our dna with our closest living relatives chimpanzees.

    Chimps, Humans 96 Percent the Same, Gene Study Finds
    Evidence of common descent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Evolution-hominids2_big-jpg

    When plants or animals become resistant to pesticides, what do you think is happening? It's evolution. When bacteria becomes resistant to antibiotics, that's evolution. Because bacteria multiply so quickly compared to more complex organisms, we can witness changes in bacteria over the course of years or decades that would take hundreds of thousands of years in more complex organisms.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  4. #114
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,419

    Re: Evolution

    Of course, someone could claim that stuff doesn't move around... and stuff just spontaneously appears. But I'm not buying that. I think stuff came here from somewhere. You can go with magic as the explanation, but not me. No rabbits from hats in my book.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 08-19-11 at 04:59 PM.

  5. #115
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Of course, someone could claim that stuff doesn't move around... and stuff just spontaneously appears. But I'm not buying that. I think stuff came here from somewhere. You can go with magic as the explanation, but not me. No rabbits from hats in my book.
    A chemical reaction that can be duplicated over and over again is the exact opposite of magic.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  6. #116
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Of course, someone could claim that stuff doesn't move around... and stuff just spontaneously (or magically) appears. But I'm not buying that. I think stuff came here from somewhere. You can go with magic as the explanation, but not me.
    Mho says that stuff magically or spontaneously appears?

    Even abiogenisis theories don't state that. They state that certain stuff gets changed into other stuff spontaneously.

  7. #117
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,419

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    A chemical reaction that can be duplicated over and over again is the exact opposite of magic.
    Oh please. Demonstrate abiogenesis.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Mho says that stuff magically or spontaneously appears?

    Even abiogenisis theories don't state that. They state that certain stuff gets changed into other stuff spontaneously.
    Abiogenesis relies upon the unknown and (currently) unprovable. I believe 'my' theory is more sound and has greater evidence; therefore, it is more likely.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 08-19-11 at 05:09 PM.

  8. #118
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,419

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    No, geographic isolation explains why we have different races, but not why part of the species evolved and part did not. If macro evolution where true, then the entire species would have evolved on similar paths rather than some evolving and some not. Further, if macro evolution where true, new races of humans would be evolving from primates today. They are not.
    I think you are under a few misconceptions about evolution, and human evolution in particular. We share a common ancestor with chimpanzees and bonobos, and if you go further back, all the great apes.

    A species evolving does not necessarily mean that new species will evolve with greater brain capacity and cognitive ability than the preceding species. Evolution does not mean that species "improve" in the sense that humans seek to improve themselves. It means that members of a species that are better adapted to surviving in a given ecosystem will out compete members of that species that are not as well adapted for that ecosystem. This process continues until speciation occurs and a new species arises that is better adapted for that ecosystem (the old species may still be around as well).

    For example, its a common misconception that of all the great apes, we are the pinnacle of evolution. In fact, chimps are more evolved than we are.

    Chimps 'more evolved' than humans - life - 16 April 2007 - New Scientist

    Thriving in the tropical forest ecosystems of equatorial Africa required different adaptions for chimps than thriving on the African Savannah did for us. We evolved with a higher brain capacity and as endurance athletes. Humans are some of the greatest endurance athletes in the animal kingdom. An ultra runner can run a horse into the ground. High endurance and high intelligence served humans and our ancestors quite well as hunter gatherers on the African Savannah. However, in a rain forest ecosystem, endurance is not nearly as advantageous as strength, particularly upper body strength. So we took different evolutionary paths. However, that does not mean that we are the most evolved.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  9. #119
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Abiogenesis relies upon the unknown.
    how so?

  10. #120
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,419

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    how so?
    You cannot demonstrate abiogenesis. I can demonstrate that evolution involves moving and that stuff moves around. Your evidence is crap; mine is logical. Try to prove logically that stuff just magically poofed up here.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 08-19-11 at 05:16 PM.

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •