View Poll Results: Can Bachman and Perry beat Obama in 2012

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bachman Can Beat Obama

    33 32.35%
  • Perry can Beat obama

    37 36.27%
  • Neither of them can beat Obama

    32 31.37%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 140

Thread: Can Bachman or Perry beat Obama

  1. #111
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Can Bachman or Perry beat Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    Compared to the over three million that Buch created I would say Bush's record is better. And out of those supposed 2.7 million jobs you claim Obama created he has lost double that amount.
    Thanks for your opinion!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #112
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Can Bachman or Perry beat Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    NO. Actually my argument is based on the official statistics from the US Government. The rate of growth in the unemployment rate was over 400% higher under Bush than it has been under Obama.
    You should really try to avoid being a liberal hack. You have the choice of two measures - the unemployment rate and the workforce participation rate. The unemployment rate does not make any accounting of people who've dropped out of the workforce or dropped out of the activity of looking for work while the workforce participation rate accounts for such people.

    Which metric more accurately describes the state of the job market - the one which measures only those people who are employed and those who are actively looking for work or the one which measures the ratio between workers and non-workers, where the non-workers include people actively looking for work and people who have given up looking for work?

  3. #113
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Can Bachman or Perry beat Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    No, it's liberal spin to hide the fact that Obama is a failure. You want to know what Obama inhereted from Bush? A AAA S&P credit rating, that Obama destroyed.
    It was the Tea Party/Republicans who caused the credit rating to go down because they refused to deal with President Obama. But if you read S&P's decision it was a political one and not a economic one. In fact the interest rates on U.S. Treasury Bonds have gone down not up.


  4. #114
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Can Bachman or Perry beat Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I think unless we get to a Zimbabwe economy, the GOP will not win the presidency next year because they are still only offering the same failed trickle down economics of the last 30 year - more tax cuts for the wealthy and less regulations.
    Ehh, I wouldn't be so sure. If the election were held today, Mitt Romney would probably give Obama a run for his money and might have an outside chance of winning a close race. It's not hard for me to envision a set of circumstances (where the economy was only slightly worse than it is now) where Romney, or perhaps Perry, could win decisively.

    Michele Bachmann is another story...unless the economy was considerably worse than it is now, and was still moving in the wrong direction, I don't think she'd even be able to make it close.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 08-19-11 at 02:33 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #115
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Can Bachman or Perry beat Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Ehh, I wouldn't be so sure. If the election were held today, Mitt Romney would probably give Obama a run for his money and might have an outside chance of winning a close race. It's not hard for me to envision a set of circumstances (where the economy was only slightly worse than it is now) where Romney, or perhaps Perry, could win decisively.

    Michele Bachmann is another story...unless the economy was considerably worse than it is now, and was still moving in the wrong direction, I don't think she'd even be able to make it close.
    As I mentioned, I think Romney might have a chance to beat Obama, but I'm willing to bet cold hard cash the Tea partied GOP will never let Romney be the nominee. Perry, like Bachmann is too extreme to win the independents and moderates who decide elections.

    His mouth, and his actual record in Texas are his own worst enemy. Even the people of his own state in Texas prefer Obama over Perry.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #116
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Can Bachman or Perry beat Obama

    Bachman: highly doubt it unless, like others have said, either the economy goes really bad (and it is mostly blamed on the President instead of Republicans in Congress) or Obama does something extremely stupid in the next year

    Perry: stands a chance if things start to look like they are getting worse or Obama does something that turns moderates/independents from him or the Democrats do something really bad like this that Obama supports

    Now, there are actually some things that I agree with Perry on, such as his changes to certain Texas gun-control policies. However, I don't like him or his stance on many other issues, especially economic, environmental, and gay rights policies. Texas is actually right in the middle for unemployment rate compared to the other states, but even at that point, they are absolute bottom for the number of people in the state who are working at or below minimum wage. What some people don't seem to get is that if people, especially those trying to support a family, are working at minimum wage and it doesn't pay their bills, they will need another job to fully support them or government assistance. Which means that just because you have a higher number of people employed, it doesn't mean that the state needs less job openings, since many of those who are employed at or below minimum wage are likely to require another job/source of income (either from the worker of the family getting a second job or a non-working family member actually getting a job or both) in order to actually be able to pay their bills without assistance.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #117
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Can Bachman or Perry beat Obama

    Bachmann would win only if Obama's approval ratings really go down the drain. She's extreme even for my taste, plus has no executive experience and is prone to saying flat-out stupid things.

    I actually think that out of the candidates running right now, Rick Perry has one of the best chances against Obama, possibly even better than Mitt Romney. Unlike Romney, he can excite conservatives enough to bring them out to vote in huge numbers. But he can also appeal to independents with his economic record in Texas, especially considering what a big issue the economy is going to be.

  8. #118
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Can Bachman or Perry beat Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Bachmann would win only if Obama's approval ratings really go down the drain.
    I actually don't think Bachmann could win under any circumstance. People would go to a third party before they would go to Bachmann. At least 2/3 of the country would simply never vote for somebody like Bachmann no matter what.

  9. #119
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: Can Bachman or Perry beat Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    You should really try to avoid being a liberal hack.
    Why are you going on a personal attack?

    Why are you attempting to move the goal posts?

    Why are you attempting - rather poorly at that - to change the subject?

    It is an undeniable statistical fact that the rate of growth in the US unemployment rate was over 400% higher under President Bush than it has been under President Obama. You do understand that statistical fact don't you?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #120
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,476

    Re: Can Bachman or Perry beat Obama

    Beyond the comparing of Perry's state record with the country there is another point against him, his voice. Close your eyes when he talks and you visualize George Bush.

    George Bush was so popular that even the Republicans didn't invite him to their presidental convention.

    Once again, having the same accent and tone is not his fault but I think people are still sick of that Texas accent. The same thing goes for any young black democrat following Obama's footsteps.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •