View Poll Results: Are you smarter than The Obama?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am smarter than The Obama

    14 36.84%
  • We're evn, or just about

    8 21.05%
  • The Obama is smarter than me.

    16 42.11%
Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 543

Thread: Are you smarter than The Obama?

  1. #361
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    What you're doing is smoke and mirrors. You're ignoring the referenced and footnoted data and instead focusing on Thernstrom's argument. I linked to her paper because of the data that she presented and because ETS (the SAT people) no longer breakdown their race data by income.

    Deal with the data point I used to challenge your hypothesis instead of avoiding it and launching a red herring gambit.

    Owie. You do provide some interesting data points.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #362
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You managed to entirely and completely ignore everything I said. How amusing.
    Well to be fair, so did you competely ignore the data he provided.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #363
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,333
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    I agree.



    You and I both have similar academic backgrounds, so let's approach this like a problem we'd face in the lab.

    What do we know?

    1.) Some factor, or some combination of factors, is causing outcome disparity between groups.

    2.) Let's brainstorm and come up with all sorts of factors that we hypothesize have an influence on outcomes.

    3.) Let's create a preliminary model and then isolate the factors. For instance, we can create a simple additive model, like this:

    Low income + bad neighborhood + poor nutrition + bad teachers + violent schools + lack of educational resources + police harassment + overt discrimination + covert discrimination + X +Y +Z + Genetics = outcome disparity.

    Isolate every factor and see how much influence it has on outcome disparity.

    Every factor that is knocked out as showing no influence on outcome disparity will increase the influence of the the the factor set that consists of all of the remaining factors.

    Rinse and repeat.

    As factors have been knocked out over the last 40-50 years the case for genetics has gotten stronger and stronger. Now we're finding all sorts of race-related genetic disparity in health outcomes - different types of cancers have disproportionate influence on different racial groups, different tolerance to salt, different propensity to diabetes, different propensity to schizophrenia, different propensity towards cardiovascular disease, etc and that's with lifestyles, nutrition, age, socioeconomic status all controlled for.

    We now know that all non-Africans on Earth are carrying genes from Neanderthal and Denisovan introgression. It is beyond dispute that Africans and Non-Africans are different on that basis alone.

    There is absolutely no plausible reason why some liberal god, high up in heaven, has decreed that the brains of reproductively isolated groups who've lived in thousands of micro-environments over tens of thousands of years should have remained off-limits to mutation, selection pressures, and genetic drift while he allowed these evolutionary processes to play fast and loose with the rest of the genome. No reason at all. Liberal appeals to creationist precepts is a horrible way of going through life and of structuring society. What's even funnier is watching liberal creationists chastising religious creationists for believing in myths. That's side-splittingly funny to watch.
    So what you are saying is that you can ignore cumulative factors, and god and evolution made black people stupid.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #364
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by redress View Post
    obstacles poor people face in getting a good education, in no particular order:

    Lack of quality, supportive parenting <<<<<< sound like a personal choice
    lack of two parent household <<<<<<<<<<<<< sounds like a personal choice
    more important concerns than education(like not getting shot) <<<<< only sometimes, the rest sounds like a personal choice
    reduced access to thinks like computers <<<<<<< who reducing access, not me
    too many negative role models <<<<<< who's picking the roll models?
    Too few positive role models <<<<<<<<<<<<< ditto
    persistent drug and gang issues near homes and among peers <<<<<<<< they sell drugs to themselves.
    Poor diet <<<<<<<<<<<< sounds like a personal choice
    many many other things

    see above

    .
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #365
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,333
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Well to be fair, so did you competely ignore the data he provided.
    No, actually I presented problems with the data. When you are throwing out one factor because there is not present in testing of K grade students, and another because it is not present in high school students, and saying therefore neither can have an impact(which even the paper he linked did not say), this is a problem. Further, the paper he links refers to a school getting positive results by using different methods. That is exactly and 100 % addressing his source.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #366
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,333
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    see above

    .
    Content is gud. See above where?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #367
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    That is not true we are all different not only physically but mentally emotionally and intellectually, no one can run a mile faster then it's possible for them to run it and no one can reach an intellectual capacity that is past their potential. Genetics play a role both physically and intellectually
    Well true but I was strictly referring to intellect...not physical...and my point was no one is born a genius..we start learing from day one and what we are taught determines alot towards what we will grow up to be

  8. #368
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Low income + bad neighborhood + poor nutrition + bad teachers + violent schools + lack of educational resources + police harassment + overt discrimination + covert discrimination + X +Y +Z + Genetics = outcome disparity.
    Let's not inappropriately assume our function is linear...
    Last edited by Mathematician; 08-15-11 at 08:36 PM.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  9. #369
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1Voice View Post
    We might be onto something here. What would you say to free college for everyone, not just African-Americans, and a retooling of the educational system so that each child's education was tailored to enhance their individual strengths and minimize their individual weaknesses, so as to insure each person was as prepared to compete upon entering adulthood as it was possible to prepare them?
    That's a horrible idea, that's what I say. College is a waste of time for most people. College education has hardly any effect on income once you control for a person's IQ.

    Tests of intelligence for employment screening are illegal thanks to liberals. Employers now rely on college education as a proxy measure for intelligence. In short, college is merely a waystation for most people so that they can gain a credential which tells employers that they're smart enough to finish college. Someone's degree in Elizabethan poetry is hardly ever useful when they begin their job as a market analyst at Procter and Gamble. Same too with degrees in sociology, psychology, political science, economics, art, theater, dance. The only degrees that are useful are the ones which actually impart knowledge that will be used in the person's profession - engineering degrees for engineers, law degrees for lawyers, medical degrees for physicians, computer science degrees for programmers and computer scientists.

    Wasting 4+ years of a person's life on obtaining a credential is crazy. Society would be better off having people be hired at entry level jobs and being trained in their work and picking up courses on the side to improve their writing, their thinking, and to pick up specific knowledge that they need to either get ahead in their careers or that they want to pick up for the sake of enjoying learning.

    Overturn Griggs v. Duke Power and rewrite the Civil Rights laws to allow intelligence testing as a part of the employment screening process and you'll make society, and the majority of its members, better off.

    Allocate resources to advantage the most talented, no matter who they may be or where they came from. Create an atmosphere of cooperative competition, where the goal is to push each other so each person can reach their personal pinnacle of development - not to be the best but to find out who is the best, together. Then let them enter the competitive world and see what happens.
    I admire your idealism, but you telegraph that you're far removed from the world of education. Mission #1 in education is NOT to allow each individual to reach for their maximum potential. That is so last century. Mission #1 in education these days is to close the Achievement Gap and everything else is subordinate to that goal.

    Think about it - if you provided resources so that every person could reach for their full potential what you'd end up doing is allowing gaps to grow.

  10. #370
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Let's not inappropriately assume our function is linear...
    I noted that we start with a simple additive model. Feel free to modify and tailor it to any alternative hypothesis of your choice. The process still works in the same way.

Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •