View Poll Results: Are you smarter than The Obama?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am smarter than The Obama

    14 36.84%
  • We're evn, or just about

    8 21.05%
  • The Obama is smarter than me.

    16 42.11%
Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 543

Thread: Are you smarter than The Obama?

  1. #151
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,444
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    But even those things are indicative of intelligence. Becoming a good speaker and surrounding oneself with intelligent people indicate a degree of intelligence...not to mention the ability to determine WHICH intelligent people to listen to, when they disagree. Additionally, presidents usually have had a solid resume prior to taking office (usually as a goveror/senator/VP, and with an advanced degree from a prestigious school) where they would have had plenty of opportunity to falter if they were lacking in intellect.
    Could you be talking about what I refer to as "cunning"? A non intellectual kind of smart, seen in people who are successful while not manifesting anything that one would identify as "intellect". Kind of like the opposite of the genius with no common sense. The "average guy" with charisma or some other quality that enables them to compete with those with more raw intellect.

    That's my take on Bush was that the was more cunning than intelligent.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  2. #152
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    That isn't strictly true. There is a stereotype threat present in the way teachers act, and the way students act towards each other. It's an underlying thing.
    Let's unpack your argument. All human beings are born with equal intelligence and racist teachers are primarily responsible for the black-white IQ gap.

    The trouble with your argument is that the black-white IQ gap is already fully established by the age of 3, which is long before young children are exposed to environmental influences in school and in broader society.

    How can teachers be the cause of a phenomenon which is already well established before kids start school? I'm dying to read the explanation for this.

    Unfortunately, it can't make up for differences in educational environment and other factors which I also mentioned, and which is the premise on which you supposedly think the stereotype threat is "debunked."
    I could swat these away all day. A report published at NBER addresses the influence of educational environment on student education outcomes:

    Families originally living in public housing were assigned housing vouchers by lottery, encouraging moves to neighborhoods with lower poverty rates. Although we had hypothesized that reading and math test scores would be higher among children in families offered vouchers (with larger effects among younger children), the results show no significant effects on test scores for any age group among over 5000 children ages 6 to 20 in 2002 who were assessed four to seven years after randomization. Program impacts on school environments were considerably smaller than impacts on neighborhoods, suggesting that achievement-related benefits from improved neighborhood environments are alone small.

    Taking poor kids and their families and putting them in wealthier environments and having the children attend schools which were not resource deficient in any manner, yield squat in terms of student improvement.

  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Let's unpack your argument. All human beings are born with equal intelligence and racist teachers are primarily responsible for the black-white IQ gap.

    The trouble with your argument is that the black-white IQ gap is already fully established by the age of 3,...
    according to who..The Bell Curve?

  4. #154
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,890

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Just for the sake of relevance, what is the ratio of whites to blacks in this country?
    About 5.5 to 1.
    Last edited by celticwar17; 08-14-11 at 10:44 PM.

  5. #155
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Reading some of these racist comments reminds me of one of the hidden benefits of having Obama in the White House: His mere presence as the Chief Executive Officer of a majority-White nation punishes their egos. Deep down inside, something inside them hurts a little bit more every day because of the mere fact that a Black man has any degree of power over them. And when racists lose, everybody else wins.
    Could you point out some of these racist comments for I haven't seen one yet. All I see are comments which violate the liberal creationist ethos and they upset some people who are quite wed to a view of reality that is divergent with evidence and science.

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Could you point out some of these racist comments for I haven't seen one yet...
    here's one:

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    ...The trouble with your argument is that the black-white IQ gap is already fully established by the age of 3,...

  7. #157
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    To be accurate, I believe the claim was (don't shoot the messenger) that Obama's entrance into Harvard was in part due to affirmative action. I don't know that to be true or not, but it IS and WAS true that Harvard did participate in affirmative action. That doesn't diminish accomplishment made while there by any means. The entire thread is stupid as how can anyone compare their intelligence against another unless the backgrounds, education and subject matter on which it is being judged is the same ... then maybe an apples to apples comparison could be made. But it's been pointed out that first... intelligence is rather subjective and just because someone has graduated from an Ivy League school does not mean they are smart -- it means they are academically intelligent and can do well in academia, it does not by default mean they are smart. I work with a few PhD's who are intelligent but not very smart.
    I agree with the majority of what you said. However, while you're right that some have claimed Obama was let in by affirmative action, RiverDad has made it clear that he thinks blacks are genetically less intelligent than whites.

  8. #158
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Yup, and that truck was completely EMPTY!



    lol
    Oh yeah! Obama has been successful as hell, huh?

  9. #159
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Reading some of these racist comments reminds me of one of the hidden benefits of having Obama in the White House: His mere presence as the Chief Executive Officer of a majority-White nation punishes their egos. Deep down inside, something inside them hurts a little bit more every day because of the mere fact that a Black man has any degree of power over them. And when racists lose, everybody else wins.
    Is this the first cry of racism by a Liberal in this thread?

  10. #160
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are you smarter than The Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Could you point out some of these racist comments for I haven't seen one yet.
    Here's one:
    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I asked you first: do you think that blacks are genetically predisposed to being less intelligent than whites?
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    For everyone who is not a creationist, all the evidence points to this outcome. I'm not a creationist.
    aka "Yes."

Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •