View Poll Results: Who benefits the most?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rich.

    35 32.11%
  • Poor.

    74 67.89%
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 269

Thread: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

  1. #1
    Educator U.S. Socialist.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    04-18-12 @ 04:55 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    913

    Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    One of the arguments I've seen from a few posters as to why the rich shouldn't pay more taxes is because they claim the poor benefit the most from the government. I disagree and here is why. The rich use the highway system to ship their goods, they use public airwaves to advertise their goods, they use the courts far more than the poor, if they ship goods by air they have to rely on government air traffic controllers, and I'm sure it costs a lot of money to keep shipping lanes clear and open., especially from troubled parts of the world. The government also gives the energy industry large subsidies.

    However, you could ignore everything I listed above and the fact would remain the the rich depend on the government for their very existence as a social class. The system that allowed them to make their money, capitalism, could not exist without a government.

    The government enforces contracts and protects private property. These two things are necessary for capitalism to exist and neither one of them benefits the poor. If you remove the government from the equation then capitalism will collapse. So if the government decides to tax the rich at 90%, then they should pay without complaining, because every penny they own was made possibly by state violence in favor against the poor. To clarify I should point out that protection of private property does not benefit the poor, because they have own no private property. In this case private property refers to the means of production.
    Last edited by U.S. Socialist.; 08-13-11 at 06:13 PM.

  2. #2
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    The rich, because government provides for a stable enough society in which fortunes can be made and kept.

    The poor benefit far less from that stability.

  3. #3
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Socialist. View Post
    One of the arguments I've seen from a few posters as to why the rich shouldn't pay more taxes is because they claim the poor benefit the most from the government. I disagree and here is why. The rich use the highway system to ship their goods, they use public airwaves to advertise their goods, they use the courts far more than the poor, if they ship goods by air they have to rely on government air traffic controllers, and I'm sure it costs a lot of money to keep shipping lanes clear and open., especially from troubled parts of the world. The government also gives the energy industry large subsidies.

    However, you could ignore everything I listed above and the fact would remain the the rich depend on the government for their very existence as a social class. The system that allowed them to make their money, capitalism, could not exist without a government.

    The government enforces contracts and protects private property. These two things are necessary for capitalism to exist and neither one of them benefits the poor. If you remove the government from the equation then capitalism will collapse. So if the government decides to tax the rich at 90%, then they should pay without complaining, because every penny they own was made possibly by state violence in favor against the poor. To clarify I should point out that protection of private property does not benefit the poor, because they have own no private property. In this case private property refers to the means of production.
    Could not agree more, we are a country that coddles the rich (intentionally or not).

  4. #4
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,576

    Re: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    Nobody benefits from big government. As long as there's a government that is hell bent on making more poor people, then poor people will never be able to improve their lives.

  5. #5
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    The rich are net tax payers. The poor are clothed, housed and fed by government. with less government the rich would be richer and the poor would starve. Its not even close.

    In the last six months this board has been infected by an onslaught of "bash the rich" whinuses. Its getting to the point where it appears this board becomes a place where those who are envious and hateful of the rich come to complain



  6. #6
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    The rich, because government provides for a stable enough society in which fortunes can be made and kept.

    The poor benefit far less from that stability.
    from anarchy to a libertarian state perhaps. Once we get to welfare socialism as we have now its the poor who benefit.



  7. #7
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    from anarchy to a libertarian state perhaps. Once we get to welfare socialism as we have now its the poor who benefit.
    Even in a libertarian state, desperate people who are overlooked by that system end up causing trouble due to their desire to eat. The early parts of this country were violent times.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 08-13-11 at 07:25 PM.

  8. #8
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Even in a libertarian state, desperate people who are overlooked by that system end up causing trouble due to their desire to eat. The early parts of this country were violent times.
    Rich people have always been rather good at protecting what they have. In a libertarian society, the rich would be free to earn and earn while looters would be shot or hung



  9. #9
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Rich people have always been rather good at protecting what they have. In a libertarian society, the rich would be free to earn and earn while looters would be shot or hung
    Which would be an example of the problem I was referring to.

  10. #10
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,206

    Re: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    I could not find my answer. Both benefit. Neither should benefit; except that freedom should be guaranteed to all.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •