View Poll Results: Who benefits the most?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rich.

    35 32.11%
  • Poor.

    74 67.89%
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 269

Thread: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

  1. #141
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    And you want a government that punishes those you don't like by confiscating wealth and giving it to others?
    Although it's true that I don't like you, and few things would give me more pleasure than to see you end up destitute because the government confiscated your wealth, that is not really what I'm looking for in a government as a matter of policy.

    Why should I support government functions that punish me and provide me no benefits?
    Because that's the price you pay to live in a society that provides you with the opportunity to become successful. Think of it as rent you pay to live here in this country.

    welfare socialism is a scheme by which those who are rich through public office use my and other net taxpayers' wealth to buy votes of those who feed off the government tit
    Libertarianism is a scheme by which those who are rich use their own wealth to buy votes of those who don't know any better.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 08-14-11 at 12:28 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #142
    Educator U.S. Socialist.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    04-18-12 @ 04:55 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    913

    Re: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you can spew that crap till the cows fly but its crap. Pure and simple its crap. Your silly rants about contracts are idiotic. If the police did not take the car away from you, then the rich owner would hire some guy to put an icepick through your ear. That's how things worked before we had modern courts and law enforcement. The courts and law enforcement help the poor far more than you think.
    We've always had modern courts as long as we've had capitalism. Find me a capitlaist nation that has not had something similar to our modern courts. Capitalism cannot exist without the state and your argument that it can is idiotic. Secondly the workers far outnumber the rich. If it wasn't for the state to protect them than the workers could easily rise up and take over the factories,stores, etc. and the owners could do nothing about it. Oh and as to your ice pick example, the guy who doesn't want to pay for his car could just as kill the dealership owner before he sends a thug after him.

  3. #143
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I showed that the rich pay a far higher share of the tax burden than their share of the income while almost every other group and everyone in the bottom 95% pay less of the tax burden than their share of the income

    in other words the group that pays MORE OF THE TAX BURDEN Than their share of the income are the ones people like you are claiming are not paying their fair share which is patently insane

    The Tax Foundation - The Facts Contradict Obama's Calls for Higher Taxes on the Rich and Corporations



    Recently released IRS data for 2009, shows that taxpayers earning over $200,000 paid 50 percent of the $866 billion in total income taxes paid that year, or $434 billion. Skeptics will say, "That's because they earn the majority of the income in America. Not so. These taxpayers earned 25 percent of the $7.6 trillion in total adjusted gross income in the country that year.
    Were is the nugget of ethical argument again? That's what I was asking for .. see what I originally dared you to argue ..

  4. #144
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,730

    Re: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Although it's true that I don't like you, and few things would give me more pleasure than to see you end up destitute because the government confiscated your wealth, that is not really what I'm looking for in a government as a matter of policy.



    Because that's the price you pay to live in a society that provides you with the opportunity to become successful. Think of it as rent you pay to live here in this country.



    Libertarianism is a scheme by which those who are rich use their own wealth to buy votes of those who don't know any better.
    that sort of hate of yours is interesting.

    I don't have any feelings for you one way or another. You don't matter enough to me either way. but if you worked for me I'd fire you just because I could



  5. #145
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,730

    Re: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Were is the nugget of ethical argument again? That's what I was asking for .. see what I originally dared you to argue ..
    I am still waiting for you to an attempt an objective and rational argument for your specious and unsupportable claim that the rich don't pay their fair share



  6. #146
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I am still waiting for you to an attempt an objective and rational argument for your specious and unsupportable claim that the rich don't pay their fair share
    Ah, you don't have an ethical argument, I see ..

  7. #147
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,730

    Re: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Ah, you don't have an ethical argument, I see ..
    Its not ethical to claim that the one group who pays more of the income tax burden than their share of the income is not paying their fair share

    still waiting



  8. #148
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Nobody benefits from big government. As long as there's a government that is hell bent on making more poor people, then poor people will never be able to improve their lives.
    That is a load of crap! And I can flip this on you to say as long as the rich (read government )are hell bent on keeping the rich rich while not giving a care about the poor? The rich will keep getting rich while the poor will keep hoping that these same people toss them a damn chicken leg every now and again.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  9. #149
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are ranting at your own post dude.

    your working class hero act is falling apart

    Wont work...heres what you said quote

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    never said that. I just tire of trade school enlistees acting like everyone else ought to pay more taxes.

    you have never provided any evidence that you are on a military disability or a 30 year careerist

    I noted in other threads that such people deserve the benefit of whatever contract they entered


    YOUR tired of trade school enlistees? you and most of the other rich slouchs couldnt live with out tradesmen...collectively the rich couldnt build themselves a doll house out of popsycle sticks...lol...you throw out so much of your seething hateful trash about the working class you forget what you say...

    BTW youve never showed any evidence your a lawyer...even though you create fairy tales like one

  10. #150
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Who benefits the most from the government? Rich or poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Its not ethical to claim that the one group who pays more of the income tax burden than their share of the income is not paying their fair share

    still waiting
    You would have a point if they REALLY did. They do not and we have talked about this before.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •