View Poll Results: What did you think of the question?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • It was unfair

    10 19.61%
  • It was inapropriate

    13 25.49%
  • It was sexist

    14 27.45%
  • none of those

    30 58.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 148

Thread: What Did You Think Of This Question?

  1. #31
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:41 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    so, you think the question should have been made into a softball
    i disagree

    this question was as legitimate - and appropriate - as asking JFK, if he were to be elected president, and as a faithful catholic, would he subordinate his decisions to those of the pope

    that is information an informed voter would want to know

    just as we should want to know whether bachmann as president (perish the thought) would subordinate her decisions once again to those of her gay converting spouse

    by her previous public statements, bachmann brought the need for such a question upon herself
    No, I think the question should have been given in context and with a touch of respect.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    so, you think the question should have been made into a softball
    i disagree

    this question was as legitimate - and appropriate - as asking JFK, if he were to be elected president, and as a faithful catholic, would he subordinate his decisions to those of the pope

    that is information an informed voter would want to know

    just as we should want to know whether bachmann as president (perish the thought) would subordinate her decisions once again to those of her gay converting spouse

    by her previous public statements, bachmann brought the need for such a question upon herself
    Public debates aren't about providing information, nor do they even try. They're about attacking your opponent, because attacking gives results....and of course station ratings.

    All things being equal, if you can make your opponent look angrier and more partisan then yourself, you win, regardless of your party or your positions on various policy.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, I think the question should have been given in context and with a touch of respect.
    I don't believe that would have created the emotional charge required to keep viewers tuned in.

    IMO the question, as delivered, did a good job of calling back to Leftist fears of religion being inserted into law, and of Feminists seeing this candidate as a threat to ending women's suffrage.

    It would seem the result, if not the original purpose of this debate was to paint all candidates in a negative light and give political ammunition to President Obama (should he choose to run) in future debates and adds.
    Last edited by Jerry; 08-13-11 at 06:20 PM.

  4. #34
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,136

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Public debates aren't about providing information, nor do they even try. They're about attacking your opponent, because attacking gives results....and of course station ratings.

    All things being equal, if you can make your opponent look angrier and more partisan then yourself, you win, regardless of your party or your positions on various policy.
    you have mistaken the strategy of those asking the debate questions with that of the debate participants
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  5. #35
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    During the republican debate this week, Michelle Bachmann was asked the following:



    Her answer, in part:



    This question has raised a firestorm over whether it was fair or appropriate. It came about from this comment she made where she said that she finished her degree because her husband told her so and women are supposed to be submissive to their husbands(can't find quote at the moment, if any one else can, will edit it in and give credit).

    So, we the question fair? Was it appropriate? Was it sexist? You can choose more than one.
    Personally, I don't care.
    That's mostly because Bachmann should never be seriously considered as a real contender for president.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #36
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Personally, I don't care.
    That's mostly because Bachmann should never be seriously considered as a real contender for president.
    She could stare down other nations with her crazy eyes. The diplomatic results would be amazing.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    She could stare down other nations with her crazy eyes. The diplomatic results would be amazing.


    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    She will never be seriously be considered for President, and not based on this incident. There are plenty of others that disqualify her.

    In any case... the question was ultimately relevant. I'd like to know if a Presidential candidate bows to male authority or not. As the top authority in the country, would she delegate her decision making to men around her by virtue of them being men, or because she is intelligently weighing critical factors in her decision making?

  9. #39
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,173

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    It is not a question that I would have asked, but I don't have a problem with the question. She answered it. Much ado about nothing.

  10. #40
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post


    A real picture is just as bad


Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •