View Poll Results: What did you think of the question?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • It was unfair

    10 19.61%
  • It was inapropriate

    13 25.49%
  • It was sexist

    14 27.45%
  • none of those

    30 58.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 148

Thread: What Did You Think Of This Question?

  1. #21
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    Why weren't any of the other candidates asked "do you believe your spouse is submissive enough to you?" . . . and so on - she's not the only one with a faith that suggests this is how thins 'should be'

    She handled it well but her answer was bull**** - "we respect eachother" - haha. . . look. I would have respected her answer MORE if it were the truth that most religious women apparently struggle with: "my religion tells me one thing - and I chose that one part just doesn't apply these days but try to adhere to the more important things."
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #22
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Why weren't any of the other candidates asked "do you believe your spouse is submissive enough to you?" . . . and so on - she's not the only one with a faith that suggests this is how thins 'should be'

    She handled it well but her answer was bull**** - "we respect eachother" - haha. . . look. I would have respected her answer MORE if it were the truth that most religious women apparently struggle with: "my religion tells me one thing - and I chose that one part just doesn't apply these days but try to adhere to the more important things."
    Again, the reason it was only her was because she had publicly commented how she did not want to go into tax law, but her husband to her to and she said she was supposed to sub,it to her husband, so she did. The question was not random but based on her comments. This does not make it a good question or a fair question or appropriate, but it does mean that she was not singled out, but that the question followed from her own words.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #23
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Why weren't any of the other candidates asked "do you believe your spouse is submissive enough to you?" . . . and so on - she's not the only one with a faith that suggests this is how thins 'should be'

    "
    Because the other candidates didn't suggest that they were submissive to their spouse. She brought it up.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  4. #24
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Again, the reason it was only her was because she had publicly commented how she did not want to go into tax law, but her husband to her to and she said she was supposed to sub,it to her husband, so she did. The question was not random but based on her comments. This does not make it a good question or a fair question or appropriate, but it does mean that she was not singled out, but that the question followed from her own words.
    They could have worded the question differently, then, and subverted this whole fallback.

    Simply for the fact that she's a successful political figure - and she's female - obviously she's not cleaving to any 'traditional/old fashioned submission' - nor is Palin.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #25
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    This whole thread is a bit awkward for me, because my wife feels she should be submissive to me, which admittedly confuses the hell out of me.

  6. #26
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,652
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    Ordinarily I would call such a question posed to a female candidate as inappropriate and sexist. However, when a female candidate for president is on record stating that women should be submissive to their husbands, the question is not only appropriate, it is positively required.

    And she dodged the answer.

  7. #27
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Ordinarily I would call such a question posed to a female candidate as inappropriate and sexist. However, when a female candidate for president is on record stating that women should be submissive to their husbands, the question is not only appropriate, it is positively required.

    And she dodged the answer.
    Of course she did. Her religious base would be furious if she refuted and the rest of the country would think she was crazy if she didn't.

    It doesn't say much for her honesty though.

  8. #28
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,652
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    If some male candidate came from a belief system that was matriarchal, and he was asked, would it be sexist?
    No, it wouldn't. If a male candidate for president was on record as stating that he believed males should be submissive to their wives, then it's fair to say that the American voters would want to know exactly who would be making the decisions in the whitehouse... the candidate or the candidate's wife.

  9. #29
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    They could have worded the question differently, then, and subverted this whole fallback.

    Simply for the fact that she's a successful political figure - and she's female - obviously she's not cleaving to any 'traditional/old fashioned submission' - nor is Palin.
    That is I think where I am falling on this. It's not that there is anything inherently wrong with the question, but lord it could have been done better, and probably should have been saved for a different setting. Asking her about her original comment and how being submissive would effect her as president would have been a lot more palatable.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #30
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,153

    Re: What Did You Think Of This Question?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That is I think where I am falling on this. It's not that there is anything inherently wrong with the question, but lord it could have been done better, and probably should have been saved for a different setting. Asking her about her original comment and how being submissive would effect her as president would have been a lot more palatable.
    so, you think the question should have been made into a softball
    i disagree

    this question was as legitimate - and appropriate - as asking JFK, if he were to be elected president, and as a faithful catholic, would he subordinate his decisions to those of the pope

    that is information an informed voter would want to know

    just as we should want to know whether bachmann as president (perish the thought) would subordinate her decisions once again to those of her gay converting spouse

    by her previous public statements, bachmann brought the need for such a question upon herself
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •