View Poll Results: Read article in first post and vote...

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • I strongly support this project

    3 9.68%
  • I support this project

    11 35.48%
  • I am somewhere in the middle

    6 19.35%
  • I am against this project

    5 16.13%
  • I am strongly against this project

    4 12.90%
  • Other

    2 6.45%
  • No opinion

    0 0%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 120

Thread: Do you support this military project?

  1. #71
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Do you support this military project?

    My reputation is on the line!

  2. #72
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Do you support this military project?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    That's absurd. The advent of nuclear missiles ensures that technology, not people, is the primary determinate of global or national destruction from military activities. Back when it was conventional weapons, to a degree that was true. Today, everything is to a degree, moot. Strategy, almost irrelveant. People, almost irrelevant.

    In fact, I think we understand that even if we were hit with a first strike and everyone in the U.S. was dead, our own missile silos would launch automatically. Talking about damning evidence against your assertion right?

    The world is different now. Political power, and economic power, once a nation has a nuclear aresenal, is where the game is played. The biggest danger to citizens is consolidation of government authority, or private authority. Government historically has been the worst, the most common, and nearly always linked to any bad actor private authorities anyway. That's why government growth is the primary way U.S. citizens can "fight the good fight".
    I disagree somewhat. It really depends on which arena you're talking about.

    If we're talking about nation-states and conventional and nuclear military power, then technology is a hell of an advantage. However, in terms of asymmetrical wars, which seem to be becoming more and more common, the technological advantage is diminished significantly, while personnel and strategy are paramount.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 08-12-11 at 12:53 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  3. #73
    Professor
    sookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In my own world.
    Last Seen
    06-27-17 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,838

    Re: Do you support this military project?

    My reputation is on the line!
    Which wouldn't of been on the line in the first place if you did not call me out. If you did call me out, why don't you actually put some logical defense to the statements that you make?

    I will state this again. Please elaborate on how I lost all perspective with regards to this 320 million dollar project. Please cite where I said 320 million dollars is a lot of money.
    Last edited by sookster; 08-12-11 at 12:55 PM.

  4. #74
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Do you support this military project?

    I concede defeat.

  5. #75
    Professor
    sookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In my own world.
    Last Seen
    06-27-17 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,838

    Re: Do you support this military project?

    Thank you. I have more respect for you now. That takes some balls, so it seems, you are starting to grow a pair.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Do you support this military project?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jucon View Post
    Read article, vote and comment...

    DARPA Loses Hypersonic Vehicle, Goes From $320M to Zero in*2,700 Seconds - FoxNews.com

    I'm split on this one... I'm bothered that this much has been spent on a currently failing project, yet if they eventually succeed I can only imagine we'd be saving billions more per year if politicians view this vehicle as a reason to close many of the military bases we have all over the world. What would be the point of having bases all around the world when we can attack anywhere on Earth within an hour anyways?

    However, I am skeptical that some military advocates would go along with this hypothetical plan...
    DARPA funds low probability research. Meaning that it's research not likely not net anything. But it's funded because you never quite know with science. If it were all known before the experiments were done, there'd be no need for experiments.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #77
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Do you support this military project?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    DARPA funds low probability research. Meaning that it's research not likely not net anything. But it's funded because you never quite know with science. If it were all known before the experiments were done, there'd be no need for experiments.
    nevertheless, I think hypersonic travel is definitely a probability somewhere down the line, and that this project, regardless of the price tag, is likely a necessary first step towards that understanding.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #78
    Professor
    sookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In my own world.
    Last Seen
    06-27-17 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,838

    Re: Do you support this military project?

    DARPA funds low probability research. Meaning that it's research not likely not net anything. But it's funded because you never quite know with science. If it were all known before the experiments were done, there'd be no need for experiments.

    Which basically solidifies what I am saying. For now, this investment is essentially high risk. Why are we spending 320 million dollars on a high risk military investment, when we owe over 14 trillion dollars and have the mightiest military in the world?

  9. #79
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Do you support this military project?

    Quote Originally Posted by sookster View Post
    Thank you. I have more respect for you now. That takes some balls, so it seems, you are starting to grow a pair.
    It was a pleasure besting you.

  10. #80
    Professor
    sookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In my own world.
    Last Seen
    06-27-17 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,838

    Re: Do you support this military project?

    Once again, elaborate on your logic. It is funny how you never do that!

    How is conceding defeat besting me?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •