View Poll Results: What about menís versus womanís rights to their babies? Select all that apply

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Regardless of the womanís choice, men should choose whether their baby will be born or not

    0 0%
  • A woman should be able to choose whether to give birth or not, regardless of the manís choice

    20 50.00%
  • If the man doesnít want a baby, he should be able to choose whether to give financial support or not

    20 50.00%
  • I am ďpro-choiceĒ (I think women should be able to choose to abort their babies if they want to)

    24 60.00%
  • I am "pro-life" (against abortion)

    8 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 142

Thread: How do you feel about menís versus womanís rights to their babies?

  1. #1
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 09:11 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    34

    How do you feel about menís versus womanís rights to their babies?

    I have seen a good thread with some good arguments surrounding the issue of men’s rights versus women’s rights to their babies. Should a man have rights to their baby? If so, to what degree should the rights come into play? Should a man be able to force a woman to have his baby? Should a man be forced to pay child support for a baby he stated that he did not want? If you are against abortion, this may not be the best argument to partake in; perhaps a separate poll and or thread can be created to debate “pro-choice” versus “pro-life”. However, if you are able to work within the framework of abortion being legal, feel free to join in.
    Last edited by naturalrights; 08-04-11 at 12:33 AM.
    ~ "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself" ~

  2. #2
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: How do you feel about menís versus womanís rights to their babies?

    Quote Originally Posted by naturalrights View Post
    I have seen a good thread with some good arguments surround the issue of men’s rights versus women’s rights to their babies. Should a man have rights to their baby? If so, to what degree should the rights come into play? Should a man be able to force a woman to have his baby? Should a man be forced to pay child support for a baby he stated that he did not want? If you are against abortion, this may not be the best argument to partake in; perhaps a separate poll and or thread can be created to debate “pro-choice” versus “pro-life”. However, if you are able to work within the framework of abortion being legal, feel free to join in.
    If you're talking only about the decision to abort or not, why start a whole new thread when one already exists? And if you're talking about more than abortion, then can you say what you are talking about? I have no idea what you mean by "rights to their baby". Custody rights? Visitation?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #3
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 09:11 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    34

    Re: How do you feel about menís versus womanís rights to their babies?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    If you're talking only about the decision to abort or not, why start a whole new thread when one already exists? And if you're talking about more than abortion, then can you say what you are talking about? I have no idea what you mean by "rights to their baby". Custody rights? Visitation?
    Sorry, sangha, I hope the poll clears your questions up for you. Mainly I wanted to see what people would vote for; of course a little discussion in another venue never hurts either.

    By rights I am referring to the following considerations: (if anyone else knows of any other related rights, feel free to bring them up)

    Quote Originally Posted by naturalrights View Post
    Should a man be forced to pay child support for a baby he stated that he did not want?
    and ...

    Quote Originally Posted by naturalrights View Post
    Should a man be able to force a woman to have his baby?
    Last edited by naturalrights; 08-04-11 at 12:36 AM.
    ~ "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself" ~

  4. #4
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: How do you feel about menís versus womanís rights to their babies?

    You've left out what I believe is an important option. If a lady and I had consensual sex and it resulted in her getting pregnant, we should have equal rights to the child. The best case scenario is us both wanting the child. However, if only one party wants the child then the other should not be allowed to deny the child's birth. In particular, I'm speaking out for the case in which the father wants the child. While many argue that the female should have the right to choose because she has to deal with the pregnancy, I argue that both parties made the decision to take the risk in having sex.

  5. #5
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 09:11 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    34

    Re: How do you feel about menís versus womanís rights to their babies?

    Quote Originally Posted by extrastrictman View Post
    You've left out what I believe is an important option. If a lady and I had consensual sex and it resulted in her getting pregnant, we should have equal rights to the child. The best case scenario is us both wanting the child. However, if only one party wants the child then the other should not be allowed to deny the child's birth. In particular, I'm speaking out for the case in which the father wants the child. While many argue that the female should have the right to choose because she has to deal with the pregnancy, I argue that both parties made the decision to take the risk in having sex.
    So essentially, you agree with option number 1? i.e. :"Regardless of the woman’s choice, men should choose whether their baby will be born or not"

    This is essentially what you are saying since, if the mother does not want to give birth to the child and the father does want the child, the person who does want the child wins the battle .. is that correct? And your argument as to why this should be is because the two have already chosen to play by these rules since they had sex?

    Are you for or against abortion? For example, lets say both decide they do not want the child .. should they be able to abort the child?

    Finally .. if only one party wants the child and thus the child is born, does the financial obligation to the child fall to that person alone? Or to both parents?

    Just trying to understand where you are coming from ..
    Last edited by naturalrights; 08-04-11 at 01:04 AM.
    ~ "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself" ~

  6. #6
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: How do you feel about menís versus womanís rights to their babies?

    Quote Originally Posted by naturalrights View Post
    Sorry, sangha, I hope the poll clears your questions up for you. Mainly I wanted to see what people would vote for; of course a little discussion in another venue never hurts either.

    By rights I am referring to the following considerations: (if anyone else knows of any other related rights, feel free to bring them up)



    and ...
    Ahhh, I didnt see the poll before. I'll go and answer it now. Thanks

    on edit: Choice 2 & 4 seem to me to be the same. I went with 4
    Last edited by sangha; 08-04-11 at 12:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #7
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: How do you feel about menís versus womanís rights to their babies?

    I voted for the middle three...

  8. #8
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 09:11 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    34

    Re: How do you feel about menís versus womanís rights to their babies?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I voted for the middle three...
    Yeah that's what I am thinking too .. it seems to be the most fair ruling. This way the mother can have control of her body without affecting the father's rights.
    ~ "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself" ~

  9. #9
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,248

    Re: How do you feel about menís versus womanís rights to their babies?

    If the father wants to avoid the risk of paying for his child then he shouldn't have sex.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  10. #10
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: How do you feel about menís versus womanís rights to their babies?

    Quote Originally Posted by naturalrights View Post
    So essentially, you agree with option number 1? i.e. :"Regardless of the woman’s choice, men should choose whether their baby will be born or not"

    This is essentially what you are saying since, if the mother does not want to give birth to the child and the father does want the child, the person who does want the child wins the battle .. is that correct? And your argument as to why this should be is because the two have already chosen to play by these rules since they had sex?

    Are you for or against abortion? For example, lets say both decide they do not want the child .. should they be able to abort the child?

    Finally .. if one of the party's wants the child and thus the child is born, does the financial obligation to the child fall to that person alone? Or to both parents?

    Just trying to understand where you are coming from ..
    Read #1 again, because what I said clearly does not match that answer. I said that if EITHER parent wants the child then the baby should be born. So, if only the mother wants the child then this case is not the man making the decision.

    My argument behind this approach is simple. If reproduction was not the intended purpose of the intercourse, then BOTH are taking the risk of pregnancy. Unless we're talking about rape, then this was a mutual decision. Similarly, the child bears the DNA of BOTH parents. So I argue that neither parent has the right to deny the other parent THEIR child.

    I am neither for nor against abortion. I'm also open to different solutions in handling the financial details. However, I am about taking responsibility for your own actions.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •