Page 93 of 109 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast
Results 921 to 930 of 1085

Thread: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

  1. #921
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    188,289

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    That doesnt make it progressive...
    But if i would have to gander i would say in 1944 when the income tax was at 94% or 1946-1950 where they paid 91% or i would have to say 1952 when they paid 92% or i would have to say from 1956-1962 when they paid 89% or 1964 when it was 76% but you get my point...
    Your argument is pathetic. do you have any clue what you are talking about? a progressive system means that the top pays a higher share of the tax burden. You are still wallowing in massive fail because you are confusing marginal tax rates with the relative federal income tax burden.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah; a shotgun IS a rifle; it uses a different load.

  2. #922
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    188,289

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Gee Turtle - if I were you I would scream LIAR LIAR LIAR at the top of my voice. Not that I expect you to remember, but I have stated before that I have run two businesses of my own and did well with them -enough so that I am the only teacher in my neighborhood.

    Oh - and that was in the private sector. btw - just signed the contracts three weeks ago for another deal coming up around Christmas..... thats in the private sector too and has NOTHING at all to do with politics or government or teaching.
    why don't you be a bit more honest and admit that the current federal income tax structure is more progressive now and that marginal tax rates are not the issue and just because they have dropped for all tax payers it does not mean the structure is less progressive

    and yes those who claim that because the top rates have dropped, the system is LESS progressive are LYING
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah; a shotgun IS a rifle; it uses a different load.

  3. #923
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    97,157

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why don't you be a bit more honest and admit that the current federal income tax structure is more progressive now and that marginal tax rates are not the issue and just because they have dropped for all tax payers it does not mean the structure is less progressive

    and yes those who claim that because the top rates have dropped, the system is LESS progressive are LYING
    Cannot admit what is not true. I have too much respect for facts.

    I would be happy to return to pre Reagan levels however. Now there were some progressive rates.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #924
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    188,289

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Cannot admit what is not true. I have too much respect for facts.

    I would be happy to return to pre Reagan levels however. Now there were some progressive rates.
    so you claim that when, for the first time in over 60 years, the top 5% pay more of the income tax burden than the bottom 95%, this is not evidence that the current FIT system is more progressive

    Okie dokie
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah; a shotgun IS a rifle; it uses a different load.

  5. #925
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 11:48 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Your argument is pathetic. do you have any clue what you are talking about? a progressive system means that the top pays a higher share of the tax burden. You are still wallowing in massive fail because you are confusing marginal tax rates with the relative federal income tax burden.
    You said that we are at a high progressive taxation system with the rich paying the most they have in a while...


  6. #926
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    188,289

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    some more facts to add to the mix

    The Tax Foundation - New IRS Data: Tax Code More Progressive in 2004 than in 2000


    .

    For each income group of U.S. taxpayers, we compare the shares of tax paid to the shares of income earned (see Table1 ). A ratio of tax share to income share for each group in 2000 and 2004 shows how progressivity has increased.


    Tax Code Became More Progressive after the Bush Tax Cuts | Publications | National Center for Policy Analysis | NCPA


    Do the Rich Pay a Greater Share of the Total Tax Burden? The top 1 percent of earners pays more than one in every three dollars the IRS collects in taxes. Furthermore, data from the Tax Foundation shows that the share of federal income taxes paid by wealthier income groups has increased over time:

    From 1986 to 2004, the total share of the income tax burden paid by the top 1 percent of income earners grew from 25.8 percent to 36.9 percent.
    During the same period, the total share of the tax burden paid by the bottom 50 percent fell from 6.5 percent to 3.3 percent.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah; a shotgun IS a rifle; it uses a different load.

  7. #927
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    188,289

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    You said that we are at a high progressive taxation system with the rich paying the most they have in a while...
    You don't read what I stated very well---I said the rich pay a higher share of the total federal income tax burden
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah; a shotgun IS a rifle; it uses a different load.

  8. #928
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    You still wallow in error you are clueless about the issue, You have claimed that the federal income tax structure is less progressive today than it was in the recent past. That is a lie and yet you squirm and wriggle and divert that is the only issue I am dealing with right now because it is an issue you have lied about. stop trying to talk about payroll taxes and social security they are not relevant to the issue you have demonstrated massive mendacity on.
    I see you have posted noting whatsoever to refute the facts that the marginal tax rate is much lower than it was, or that corporate tax as a fraction of GDP is half what it used to be, or that the middle class have pay a greater percentage of their income for SS and Medicare.

    When you have something to refute those facts, do let us know.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #929
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    188,289

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I see you have posted noting whatsoever to refute the facts that the marginal tax rate is much lower than it was, or that corporate tax as a fraction of GDP is half what it used to be, or that the middle class have pay a greater percentage of their income for SS and Medicare.

    When you have something to refute those facts, do let us know.
    LOL what a pathetic response. You still are changing the parameters because you lost big time on the actual issue. the marginal rate is much lower on the middle class and the poor as well, that is why 47% pay no income taxes now and the top 5% pay more of the tax burden than at any time in the last 70 years of the FED INC Tax.

    you are just unable to concede that you were wrong. You are, end of story. that is why you start blathering about social security and other things not at issue here
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah; a shotgun IS a rifle; it uses a different load.

  10. #930
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    so you claim that when, for the first time in over 60 years, the top 5% pay more of the income tax burden than the bottom 95%, this is not evidence that the current FIT system is more progressive

    Okie dokie
    Why would you consider this strange when the top 20% control 93% of the countries wealth?

Page 93 of 109 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •