Page 26 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 1085

Thread: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

  1. #251
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,675

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    if you are middle class and make under $250,000 per year, than you likely do pay too much taxes ... however, if you make more than that .. how can you complain?
    Uh because those in the top bracket pay more for the same government services. Indeed they pay many times more than most taxpayers and of course half the public do not pay any income taxes essentially



  2. #252
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Uh because those in the top bracket pay more for the same government services. Indeed they pay many times more than most taxpayers and of course half the public do not pay any income taxes essentially
    Actually we've established that the top brackets pay for more services ... also it has been established that via tax loopholes the top brackets often pay a less percentage of their income than others .. again ... if you make above $250,000 what do you have to complain about again?

  3. #253
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,675

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Actually we've established that the top brackets pay for more services ... also it has been established that via tax loopholes the top brackets often pay a less percentage of their income than others .. again ... if you make above $250,000 what do you have to complain about again?
    actually you are wrong again

    the rich pay the highest rates of taxes on the various types of income. They pay more actual dollars too. You whine that the uber rich pay less of a total federal tax rate because most of their income comes from capital gains. Yet that is the uber rich-maybe the top 400 to a couple thousand. the majority of "the rich" those making between 350K to 5 million pay the highest effective rate of income tax

    And anyone paying top rates has a right to complain--indeed if you pay a higher rate than another group you have a right to complain because you are paying more for citizenship benefits than many others and you GET ABSOLUTELY NO ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR PAYING MORE



  4. #254
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,175

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    One would think, that like a clock, you would at least be right twice a day. You continually prove that axiom wrong:

    Tax Cuts Offer Most for Very Rich, Study Says

    "Families earning more than $1 million a year saw their federal tax rates drop more sharply than any group in the country as a result of President Bush’s tax cuts, according to a new Congressional study.

    The study, by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, also shows that tax rates for middle-income earners edged up in 2004, the most recent year for which data was available, while rates for people at the very top continued to decline."
    In your haste to be cute, you failed to read my posting or you just did not understand it. First, let's look at a definition:

    Aggregate: taking all units as a whole.

    In other words, when I said, "...we know that the tax cut for the rich, when considered in aggregate, went heavily to the non-wealthy," I was talking about the total of all the dollars allocated from the Bush tax cuts for those under $250,000 and those above $250,000. I originally learned this fact from CNN, but cannot locate the link tonight. Here is just one source from which I got my information:

    "An August report by the Congressional Budget Office actually shows a higher figure of $3.9 trillion as the 10-year cost of extending the cuts and patching the AMT. The U.S. Department of Treasury in February estimated the cost a little higher than $3.7 trillion.

    In case you’re curious, extending tax cuts for those earning more than $250,000 a year accounts for about $679 billion for the 10 years while patching the AMT accounts for about $672 billion, according to the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center."


    PolitiFact Virginia | Bobby Scott said the budget will be "close to" balanced in four years if the Bush tax cuts expire on schedule

    By the way, CNN had reported that the figures were total of $3.7 trillion divided thusly: Under $250,000 income - $3 trillion; over $250,000 income - $700 billion.

  5. #255
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,175

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Socialist. View Post
    He spent more than every president before him combined and he tripled the deficit.
    So when the Dems agreed to cut expenses in exchange for tax increases, but failed to live up to their end of the bargain, Reagan gets blamed for that too. Wow! How generous can one be?

  6. #256
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post
    So when the Dems agreed to cut expenses in exchange for tax increases, but failed to live up to their end of the bargain, Reagan gets blamed for that too. Wow! How generous can one be?
    No one is blaming Reagan for anything we are just pointing out a logical fact...


  7. #257
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,175

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    No one is blaming Reagan for anything we are just pointing out a logical fact...
    And, with regard to the debt, you just happened to leave out an important part of the story. Cute.

  8. #258
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post
    And, with regard to the debt, you just happened to leave out an important part of the story. Cute.
    Which is???? What Obama added to it to? Sure yea... Every president has after Reagan....


  9. #259
    Educator U.S. Socialist.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    04-18-12 @ 04:55 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    913

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Which is???? What Obama added to it to? Sure yea... Every president has after Reagan....
    You're wasting your time. The belief that Saint Ronnie decreased the size of the government is an article of faith for them. You'll no more convince them that they are wrong than you'll convince a fanatical Christian to deny that Jesus died for the sins of the world. Both are fanatics and I'm not sure which religion, Christianity or Libertarianism, is more dangerous.

  10. #260
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What purpose did the tax cut for the wealthiest serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Socialist. View Post
    You're wasting your time. The belief that Saint Ronnie decreased the size of the government is an article of faith for them. You'll no more convince them that they are wrong than you'll convince a fanatical Christian to deny that Jesus died for the sins of the world. Both are fanatics and I'm not sure which religion, Christianity or Libertarianism, is more dangerous.
    All three of our great presidents FDR, RR and BHO INCREASED goverment spending to get the economy going again- the stand out difference is that FDR and RR had the support of the people at least in the beginning BHO has had to fight almost every step of the way with the republicans

Page 26 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •