View Poll Results: Dems: Do you want a primary in 2012?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • No need. I want Obama again

    10 43.48%
  • Yes. I want an alternative Democrat candidate

    13 56.52%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51

Thread: Dems: Would you like a primary in 2012?

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Last Seen
    09-21-11 @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    266

    Re: Dems: Would you like a primary in 2012?

    I want Obama, because the only other declared- Randall Terry- disagrees with me on too many issues. Strictly speaking, I want a Ron Paul vs Obama election where Obama wins without too much stress, but puts Ron Paul as a Cabinet member or something. Since that's never going to happen, I'll just vote for Obama and see what ends up happening.

  2. #12
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Dems: Would you like a primary in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    What makes you think Hillary couldn't win?
    Nobody wins a divisive primary...least of all a divisive primary with plenty of soundbites of the Secretary of State and POTUS attacking each other. The 2008 Democratic primary was a different story because there wasn't an incumbent. There were just two candidates arguing to the American people that they were the best choice. That wouldn't be the case this time around; to challenge the sitting president in a primary practically necessitates a negative campaign, requiring the challenger to show that the president has failed and doesn't deserve to be re-nominated.

    Hillary wouldn't win the nomination (since most Democrats like Obama), but the primary would give the Republican candidate plenty of fodder for campaign ads. And even if somehow she did win the primary, she would (fairly or not) be seen as taking the nomination away from its rightful owner, the first black president. The Democratic base wouldn't turn out in the fall.

    And in any case, it's not like Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton have starkly different views on any important issue. What would be the point of a primary challenge? Who benefits, aside from the Republican Party?
    Last edited by Kandahar; 08-02-11 at 05:02 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #13
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dems: Would you like a primary in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Nobody wins a divisive primary...least of all a divisive primary with plenty of soundbites of the Secretary of State and POTUS attacking each other. The 2008 Democratic primary was a different story because there wasn't an incumbent. There were just two candidates arguing to the American people that they were the best choice. That wouldn't be the case this time around; to challenge the sitting president in a primary practically necessitates a negative campaign, requiring the challenger to show that the president has failed and doesn't deserve to be re-nominated.

    Hillary wouldn't win the nomination (since most Democrats like Obama), but the primary would give the Republican candidate plenty of fodder for campaign ads. And even if somehow she did win the primary, she would (fairly or not) be seen as taking the nomination away from its rightful owner, the first black president. The Democratic base wouldn't turn out in the fall.

    And in any case, it's not like Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton have starkly different views on any important issue. What would be the point of a primary challenge? Who benefits, aside from the Republican Party?
    2008 was also not that divisive. It got referred to it frequently by media types who wanted a bloodsport for ratings, and by conservatives doing wishful thinking, but compared to most primaries, it was not particularly bad.

    While I am not a fan of Obama, he is still far better than any of the republican candidates and I think gives us the best chance for a democratic president.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Dems: Would you like a primary in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Are you happy to go with Obama, or would you like a choice?
    For better or worse, he will be the standard bearer. If republicans field a valid challenger, he'll likely fall. If they don't, he likely won't.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dems: Would you like a primary in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
    I want Obama, because the only other declared- Randall Terry- disagrees with me on too many issues. Strictly speaking, I want a Ron Paul vs Obama election where Obama wins without too much stress, but puts Ron Paul as a Cabinet member or something. Since that's never going to happen, I'll just vote for Obama and see what ends up happening.
    But there is no "dog-catcher" cabinet position..And a court jester position is obsolete.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Last Seen
    09-21-11 @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    266

    Re: Dems: Would you like a primary in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    But there is no "dog-catcher" cabinet position..And a court jester position is obsolete.
    True that. He would be Secretary of Ignore...his only purpose to watch miserably as Obama continues with moderate Keynesian economics.

    Edit: He would be kind of like the Doctor watching the Master in the finale of the new Season 3. He's even old like the Doctor was then

  7. #17
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Dems: Would you like a primary in 2012?

    I want an actual progressive candidate if that is possible like Kucinich.
    But i want a 3rd party like Bernie Sanders or Ralph Nader.


  8. #18
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Dems: Would you like a primary in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    Has a president of the same party ever beaten the previous president?
    No.

    But regarding primary challenges, Franklin Pierce was defeated in the nomination process by John Fremont. He is the only president (who had been elected as POTUS, as opposed to having inherited the office) who failed to be renominated.
    Last edited by LuckyDan; 08-02-11 at 06:29 PM.

  9. #19
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Dems: Would you like a primary in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Are you happy to go with Obama, or would you like a choice?
    Well, to be clear, the Democrats are going to have a primary. It's just that, right now, he's the presumptive Democratic candidate, and with good reason.

    I expect that we will still see some Democratic presidential nominees who will run only to get their name out by the media for when they run in 2016.

    I'm actually very interested to see which other Democrats will throw their hat in the ring.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  10. #20
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Dems: Would you like a primary in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    I want an actual progressive candidate if that is possible like Kucinich.
    But i want a 3rd party like Bernie Sanders or Ralph Nader.
    I adore Bernie Sanders. I think he is much better where he is in the Senate than he would be as a President though.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •