View Poll Results: Do you support the People's Budget?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    11 47.83%
  • No.

    11 47.83%
  • Unsure.

    1 4.35%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 60 of 60

Thread: People's Budget.

  1. #51
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: People's Budget.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    income taxes is not the only way people pay taxes
    they isn't?

    LOL!

  2. #52
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: People's Budget.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Right and itemized deductions = expenses.








    You know how many middle income people you would hurt without itemized deductions?





    Is that why the self employed have to pay the self employment tax and don't qualify for tax credits like people, working elsewhere?

    almost everyone making under 125k a year which is the lionshare of the american people dont take itemized deductions they do short form

  3. #53
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: People's Budget.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    No, I am referring to the deductions that cover specific KINDS of expenses. For example, if the government decided (for who-knows-what reason) that it was in society's best interests for you to buy your employees donuts every Friday, so they made a special provision in the tax code that allowed you to deduct the cost of donuts for your employees (beyond treating it as a normal cost of doing business)...THAT is the type of deduction that I'm referring to. If we're just talking about taking your revenues and subtracting your expenses, that's perfectly fine with me.

    Granted, it's a little bit messier for businesses than for employees, because there is always a gray area between what is a legitimate cost of business, and what is a personal expense (i.e. attending a conference that happened to be located in a Caribbean resort). So the IRS has to have *some* guidelines for those types of issues. But generally they should treat sole proprietors no differently than they treat employees, when it comes to personal deductions.



    You just said you wanted to tax everyone X% on their net income, period. Make up your mind.
    To answer your question: not many. Overall, the deductions in our tax code are regressive. There are some SPECIFIC deductions that are progressive, but drastically simplifying the tax code would be a net positive for the middle-class...many of whom just take the standard deduction anyway.



    The self-employment tax compensates for the fact that they don't pay payroll taxes on their own income. It is exactly the same percentage as the payroll taxes would be. As for employee tax credits, I'm not sure which ones you're specifically referring to...but generally speaking, they are part of the problem and should be eliminated too. Except for the EITC, which is one of the best anti-poverty programs we have IMO.
    You know if the tax code wasn't so ****ed up, we wouldn't need gazillions of loopholes and deductions. You'd be able to buy a house without the interest deduction, which is really corporate welfare for the housing industry. That's the problem, you guys are like fleas on a dog arguing over the color of the fur, when what we really need is a new dog.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #54
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: People's Budget.

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You know if the tax code wasn't so ****ed up, we wouldn't need gazillions of loopholes and deductions. You'd be able to buy a house without the interest deduction, which is really corporate welfare for the housing industry.
    I agree.

    That's the problem, you guys are like fleas on a dog arguing over the color of the fur, when what we really need is a new dog.
    what
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #55
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,218

    Re: People's Budget.

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    almost everyone making under 125k a year which is the lionshare of the american people dont take itemized deductions they do short form
    Well, this is not a surprise when 47% of the people pay no income tax.

  6. #56
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,597

    Re: People's Budget.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Your quote was about taxes, and as has been pointed out to you a few times, income taxes is not the only way people pay taxes. So, not paying one tax doesn't mean all that much.
    Income taxes are the only way that pay taxes to the Federal government.

  7. #57
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,597

    Re: People's Budget.

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    almost everyone making under 125k a year which is the lionshare of the american people dont take itemized deductions they do short form
    I doubt very seriosuly that you are correct on that one. Anyone making 50 g's+, that does the the short form is a ****ing idiot and since ****ing idiots don't make that kind of money, or more, I doubt that they do the short form.

  8. #58
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,597

    Re: People's Budget.

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You know if the tax code wasn't so ****ed up, we wouldn't need gazillions of loopholes and deductions. You'd be able to buy a house without the interest deduction, which is really corporate welfare for the housing industry. That's the problem, you guys are like fleas on a dog arguing over the color of the fur, when what we really need is a new dog.
    There's no way around deductions. That's just a fact of life.

  9. #59
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: People's Budget.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I doubt very seriosuly that you are correct on that one. Anyone making 50 g's+, that does the the short form is a ****ing idiot and since ****ing idiots don't make that kind of money, or more, I doubt that they do the short form.
    That's not true. Many middle-class people are better off taking the standard deduction than itemizing...and even among the ones who aren't, it's often very close. This is especially true for those who don't have a mortgage, those who receive their compensation in the form of higher wages instead of health benefits, and/or those who live in low-tax states/locales. In other words, people who don't do what the federal government wants them to do.

    There's no way around deductions. That's just a fact of life.
    Deductions are only a fact of life because the government has MADE them a fact of life.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 08-04-11 at 11:19 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #60
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,787

    Re: People's Budget.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Hell, read it and you can see.
    I did. At least, the executive summary of it.

    I mean, obviously, we're going to disagree about the implications of it and whether said implications are good. But I am willing to listen to a solid, reasoned argument that clearly explains why The People's Budget is such a bad thing.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •