View Poll Results: Are seniors that use SS one of these...

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Terrorists

    12 26.67%
  • Leftists

    5 11.11%
  • Lazy

    1 2.22%
  • Parasites

    27 60.00%
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 300

Thread: Are Seniors Lazy Parasites

  1. #271
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 09:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Are Seniors Lazy Parasites

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I dont think we have to worry about any of it. No one is coming after social security. No one is assaulting it. Even when social security is 'on the table' it will be to review potential for abuse and inefficiencies. Every election cycle the scare out the vote effort fires up again. Frankly...its tiresome...not a little bit embarrassing...and seniors should be tired of it.

    Again...the OP had nothing to do with senior citizens.
    Well, there are indeed those who would go after it.

  2. #272
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverOprah
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    79,257

    Re: Are Seniors Lazy Parasites

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    "Big government " - a very relative term; we are a nation with nearly 1/3 of a billion people and land mass greater than Europe......is our government really big ?....And if some tea bagging conservative from the 16th century says our government is too big, I tend NOT to believe him...
    It is too big and the laws are too far reaching. Why do you think people moved west, to achieve prosperity without a lot of bull**** from Washington. BTW, if it weren't for tea party conservatives there would have been no debt reduction. Think about that next time, before you say something stupid about those people.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS. #MAGA

  3. #273
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverOprah
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    79,257

    Re: Are Seniors Lazy Parasites

    Quote Originally Posted by Polotick View Post
    What gets me is those in favor of privatization of Social Security say the reason for doing so is that the current system is "too" safe and much more money can be made by turning it over to Wall Street. If this is the case, why do they always, usually in the same breath, say that benefits must be cut? According to them turning it over to Wall Street will make money fall out of the sky. And it probably would, for their buddies on the Street, that's why benefits would need to be cut, those guys sure don't work cheap.
    No, the reason for privatizing SS is to allow more choice and to take the money out of the hands of Congress.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS. #MAGA

  4. #274
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 09:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Are Seniors Lazy Parasites

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    No, the reason for privatizing SS is to allow more choice and to take the money out of the hands of Congress.
    But take a long hard look at who you would be handing those trillions of dollars to. A long hard look.

    So now let's look at one other thing. SS buys T-Bills. This is what puts money in the general fund. If you turn it over to Wall Street then you are also removing trillions from the US operating budget. I couldn't imagine any other single move causing more damage to a weakened and unstable economy.

    Many times to find subtle facts you have to peel an onion.

  5. #275
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Seniors Lazy Parasites

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I dont think we have to worry about any of it. No one is coming after social security. No one is assaulting it. Even when social security is 'on the table' it will be to review potential for abuse and inefficiencies. Every election cycle the scare out the vote effort fires up again. Frankly...its tiresome...not a little bit embarrassing...and seniors should be tired of it.

    Again...the OP had nothing to do with senior citizens.
    Lets say your right, you are not but just for arguments sake we will. When they cut medicare and medicaid who does it effect? What is the difference of what senior citizens pocket they steal from? Show me any thing they the tea party pit bulls and their republican cohorts have offered to help with the deficit other then cut programs that seniors and the poor depend on. This so called deficit reduction deal will cause more unemployment reducing revenues even further and the pit bulls will try to balance the budget by making more cuts to programs that help the poor and elderly

  6. #276
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    04-14-18 @ 10:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Are Seniors Lazy Parasites

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Sure you can, if you are a pot smoking drinker that never had to work and consequently never figured out how to, or the need for, planning. If you live for today, tomorrow is not a concern. Intelligence is irrelevant.
    Sorry bod then hes a bum and didnt deserve it

  7. #277
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    04-14-18 @ 10:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Are Seniors Lazy Parasites

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I personally dont think they should eliminate SS. I do think it should be radically modified. I understand there are people that CANT prepare for a retirement. I also get there are people that WONT. More than anything else i believe people have simply come to accept...they dont HAVE to...why bother...thats what SS is for. Bad message...but since that message is there...then they ought to use it as a strength. Offer people that have been more fiscally successful the opportunity to invest all some or none of their contributions. Offer individuals the opportunity to donate more to their own social security. Offer one time buyouts of direct investment for those that wont need SS. Adjust retirement age up slightly (over time). There are LOTS of things that can be done to make SS more effective, more secure, more efficient.
    I agree with most of this post....the problem is corporate interests and the rich want everyone in 401ks so they can use and manipulate those hundreds of billions of dollars....in the last 9 days working class peoples 401ks have lost 17% of their value...how would you like to be 65 and wanting to retire right now today....401ks are a HUGE RISK and many people have lost everything with 401ks....and the rich wallstreeters love it, they are obsessed with getting their hands on all the money in social security....screw them

  8. #278
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oaxaca, Mexico
    Last Seen
    01-08-18 @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,579

    Re: Are Seniors Lazy Parasites

    Quote Originally Posted by Polotick View Post
    But take a long hard look at who you would be handing those trillions of dollars to. A long hard look.

    So now let's look at one other thing. SS buys T-Bills. This is what puts money in the general fund. If you turn it over to Wall Street then you are also removing trillions from the US operating budget. I couldn't imagine any other single move causing more damage to a weakened and unstable economy.

    Many times to find subtle facts you have to peel an onion.
    There is no one I would be less likely to trust with my "trillions" than politicians. When I worked we cancelled our pension because the politicians were criminally mismanaging the money. We went with a 401k instead. It was a much better deal. Why are so many pension plans underfunded uncluding SS? Corrupt politicians. You have more confidence in politicians than you do in yourself.

    Wow! The purpose of SS is not to put more money in the general fund, is it? SS buys T-Bills. Well, isn't that sweet. Low return T-Bills are a good reason not to have SS. My money bought stocks and bonds in private business and grew the economy, made real jobs for people.

    I've never once found a fact in an onion. Nonsense is still nonsense even if you try to hide it in an onion.

  9. #279
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 09:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Are Seniors Lazy Parasites

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickt View Post
    There is no one I would be less likely to trust with my "trillions" than politicians. When I worked we cancelled our pension because the politicians were criminally mismanaging the money. We went with a 401k instead. It was a much better deal. Why are so many pension plans underfunded uncluding SS? Corrupt politicians. You have more confidence in politicians than you do in yourself.

    Wow! The purpose of SS is not to put more money in the general fund, is it? SS buys T-Bills. Well, isn't that sweet. Low return T-Bills are a good reason not to have SS. My money bought stocks and bonds in private business and grew the economy, made real jobs for people.

    I've never once found a fact in an onion. Nonsense is still nonsense even if you try to hide it in an onion.
    Historically the safer investments are always lower yield. It comes with the territory. Putting your money in the hands of those who brought us a global financial crisis is high risk. Have you stopped to think that when Wall Street mismanages those funds then it will still be the government that has to pay for the disabled and the seniors?

    How would you feel if your monthly benefit dropped 20% because the market had a bad month, but your broker still got a six figure bonus?

    Nonsense is still nonsense and it's almost always hidden in an onion.

  10. #280
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,936

    Re: Are Seniors Lazy Parasites

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Thanks for providing yet more unsubstantiated opinion there Mr. internet guy!

    The Ryan plan provides an opt out which reduces the fund that has made SS one our most successful programs, and "The plan, by Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), would reduce benefits by gradually raising the retirement age and gradually trimming benefits for the top 70 percent of earners."

    "Together, the two provisions would slice initial benefits by about a quarter for middle-income Americans who turn 65 in 2050, according to the analysis."
    Republican Rep. Ryan's Social Security plan would cut benefits for high earners


    "Republicans’ Spending Cap Proposal Means Cuts to Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid"
    Republicans' Spending Cap Proposal Means Cuts to Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid | West Orlando News Online 2011 Central Florida News, Info, Sports


    "Republicans are now going where voters warned them not to go: A “voluntary” privatized version of the 2005 program called the Savings Account For Every American Act. (Where do they get these names?)"

    "The legislation, introduced last Friday by Representative Pete Sessions of Texas, the chief Social Security Chicken Little, would allow wage earners to immediately opt out of Social Security in favor of a private “S.A.F.E.” account."
    The New GOP Plan To Destroy Social Security | The Moderate Voice


    "As part of the debt ceiling battle, Speaker Boehner introduced a plan that would cut $1.5 trillion from Social Security and Medicare."
    Republican budget plan slashes Medicare, Social Security, creates poverty

    "Republican Leader Eric Cantor (VA-07) said that “we have to come to grips” with the fact that Social Security “cannot exist” any longer. House Republicans have begun pushing forward on budget proposals that include privatization of Social Security on Wall Street and cuts to benefits for senior citizens. Recently, House Speaker John Boehner called for cuts to benefits."
    Republican Leader Eric Cantor Says He Opposes Keeping Social Security Around | American Patriot Today
    So by your links, there is concern over a privatized social security (do you even have a clue what percentage Bush proposed people that CHOOSe to invest entailed? or that it was strictly volutnary), that some politicians have proposed cuts for the highest wage earners (sounds like what we have heard many people HERE say about the rich and social security), and that people see privatization (not elimination) as a solution for the social security program. What exactly is Ryan or Cantors plan? I mean...beyond the scare tactics and sound bites that you throw out there that make people like Earl wet himself. More. In a system where we now have +20% unemployment and rising...who exactly is paying into that system? How does it remain solvent without some form of change?

    You have said absolutely NOTHING that i havent already said. SOME people believe the system needs reviewing. SOME believe that it needs revamping. SOME believe privatization is a more efficient means of not only securing but growing the program. You just keep using the same lame tired ass scare tactics.

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •