View Poll Results: How old are you and how much do you have saved for retirement?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Over 20 0-20k

    23 37.70%
  • Over 20 20-50k

    5 8.20%
  • Over 20 50k+

    5 8.20%
  • Over 40 0-20k

    1 1.64%
  • Over 40 20-50k

    2 3.28%
  • Over 40 50k+

    22 36.07%
  • Over 60 0-20k

    0 0%
  • Over 60 20-50k

    1 1.64%
  • Over 60 50k+

    2 3.28%
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 155

Thread: how old are you, and how much do you have saved toward retirement?

  1. #131
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: how old are you, and how much do you have saved toward retirement?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    You say “Education is expensive, ignorance is costly.” My position is that one doesn’t need a costly education, just some training to think rationally and critically. And you say “If you are not saving for retirement, you have no brains.” Yes, one needs some wealth from some source for comfortable and enjoyable retirement.
    I think we need a bare bones retirement and medical care for the stupid. Unless we’re willing to let stupid starve to death or die from a simple infection that an antibiotic would cure. Private charities don’t have the money and often have other agenda or priorities. Sometimes we forget the following: If we allow the stupid to die we’ll have a culture change that most of smart people will not like. Therefore, I support SS. We need to keep its account separate from other government functions and need to keep it a minimal safety net.
    I think we are almost agreeing but coming from somewhat different positions. Amazing.
    Medical care is a seperate issue....I am for "Obamacare", within reason. There needs to be some serious copays to keep the hypochondriacs at home, and other than mandating insurance from private sources, the govt should stay out of it. I know too many people who say they cannot afford health care insurance, and they are mostly liars. They have cable TV, cell phones, more cars than jobs in the family, go out to eat too often, etc. They are not poor, just selfish.
    People can be stupid, and they should pay a price for that. Stupid, my definition, is refusing to learn. If they stubbornly cling to ignorance, refuse education, they get what they deserve. It might take a few generations, but people will learn.
    You misunderstand my sig...education is expensive. but worth the price usually. Ignorance is past expensive, it can be very costly....slightly different terminology for a reason. People who choose to stay ignorant are bound to be victims of the educated who have no ethics.
    I wouldn't want the ordinary stupid to die, but willful stupidity is different. They need to suffer the most basic subsistence as an example to others who might want to follow in their footsteps. Of my parents' 5 children, 2 of us rejected our parents lax attitude toward education and preparing for retirement and are living well. Another has enough retirement if he would lay off the beer, smokes, and casinos. The other 2 are financial drains on society. One sister had 8 children, most following her in poverty....the brother at least never married or reproduced, that we know of.
    We can't continue to let government employees determine the future of the nation by making it too easy to do too little for ourselves. Had a co-worker, single mom, her husband bailed on the family. The state trained her for a good job, and she was grateful. Then the state told her she was eligible for child care at the expense of the state. She said, NO THANKS, that she appreciates the training and the job, but her widowed mom was going to come live with her and the kids and provide the child care. State says, you can still get the child care money, again she said NO.....damn govt employees were doing their best waste funds that could better be used elsewhere.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #132
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: how old are you, and how much do you have saved toward retirement?

    I am not concerned one way or the other about social security. I paid into it so I will collect it, if it is not around oh well.

    We make our own financial future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #133
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,112

    Re: how old are you, and how much do you have saved toward retirement?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    All opinion, based on conservative radio, probably....
    I live in Japan. The talk radio station in english that I can get here is NPR.

    No trust in government = no trust in our people....not good, IMO.
    this isn't a lack of trust in the government - that was a Supreme Court Decision (Flemming v Nestor). You don't have any right to social security benefits, irregardless of whether you "paid in".

    If you are under 40 and planning on "Social Security Being There For Me" in retirement.... you need to ramp up savings. Because by the time we get there, Social Security is not going to look like it does today. Ditto for Medicare.

  4. #134
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,112

    Re: how old are you, and how much do you have saved toward retirement?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Hey, lay off the millionaires.....some of us are them....
    Anyone with a brain, useful education, and a good job can accumulate a million....
    wrong. you only got it because you were lucky. Brains and hard work will not get you rich because the rich are constantly stealing from everyone else. Hence, you can claim no credit for having done "the right thing" - you're just the more fortunate among us. that is why you must be punished, as a matter of fairness.



    SS needs to be slowly reduced til it provides only a bare bones existence. That should be incentive enough for the able bodied and average intellect to save for the future.
    Of course, the rich have to provide jobs here in the USA.....
    then we need to start incentivizing job creation here in the US. why would someone hire an American right now, with no idea how much their employment costs are going to shoot up once Obamacare kicks in? Why would someone really start up a business, knowing that their largest expense (personnel) is utterly unpredictable, the regulatory burden is rapidly increasing, and even if they succeed, if they don't have access to special tax loopholes they will be hit with the highest corporate tax rate (outside of Japan) in the industrialized world? people aren't holding on to their money because they like swimming in it like scrooge mcduck; they want to use that money to make more money. Of those that were going to invest money anyway; huge amounts of their cash went into funding the governments' latest binge borrowing. This administration's attempts to "fundamentally change America" have proven a great wet blanket to job creation, and nobody is hiring because nobody dares.

    oh. except McDonalds. you may have heard about them hiring alot of folks recently. total coincidence, I'm sure, that they didn't go on into expansion / hiring mode until after they had gotten their Obamacare waiver.
    Last edited by cpwill; 07-28-11 at 06:39 PM.

  5. #135
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,112

    Re: how old are you, and how much do you have saved toward retirement?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Medical care is a seperate issue....I am for "Obamacare", within reason. There needs to be some serious copays to keep the hypochondriacs at home, and other than mandating insurance from private sources, the govt should stay out of it. I know too many people who say they cannot afford health care insurance, and they are mostly liars. They have cable TV, cell phones, more cars than jobs in the family, go out to eat too often, etc. They are not poor, just selfish.
    People can be stupid, and they should pay a price for that. Stupid, my definition, is refusing to learn. If they stubbornly cling to ignorance, refuse education, they get what they deserve. It might take a few generations, but people will learn.
    why would they when we continue to subsidize and incentivize their failure?

    We can't continue to let government employees determine the future of the nation by making it too easy to do too little for ourselves.
    Amen. Welfare and the like ought to come with required hours of labor.

  6. #136
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: how old are you, and how much do you have saved toward retirement?

    Half the year I live in a place where questioning authority is generally not done. When you go to a doctor don’t ask about treatment options, the one he has chosen for you is correct no matter what your special circumstances might be. When you buy tires for your car they will put the ones on that you should have, they will not hear a repeated request to up section height from 50 to 55. I can go on and on. Most people here have their retirement strategy determined by some authority. An authority because he has a job as a financial advisor, not because he knows what he is doing or because he understands his clients desires. I think it is an education that starts very early that sets this culture up to be like I’m describing. The effect is the same as being stupid, but the source is education.

  7. #137
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,918

    Re: how old are you, and how much do you have saved toward retirement?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    Sorry to read about your problems. You wrote I know a lot of people that were just so smug with themselves and their jobs and then KaBoom! Do you think having a safety net like Social Security is a good thing for them and you?
    No problems... just life. Thanks though.

    I meant that I know, as many of us probably do, people that thought, "I have a great job and the house and car and blah blah blah" and now they are having to walk away from the house, trade in the car and have no retirement for various reasons.

    My point is that being secure in your planning is an illusion.

    SS? Isn't it failing? I doubt that I will see much, if any, of my SS and I don't plan on having any, so I plan to take care of myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #138
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,112

    Re: how old are you, and how much do you have saved toward retirement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post

    And yes, I consider SS part of my retirement. I paid into it. It's my money.
    not according to the Supreme Court it isn't.

  9. #139
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: how old are you, and how much do you have saved toward retirement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    No problems... just life. Thanks though.

    I meant that I know, as many of us probably do, people that thought, "I have a great job and the house and car and blah blah blah" and now they are having to walk away from the house, trade in the car and have no retirement for various reasons.

    My point is that being secure in your planning is an illusion.

    SS? Isn't it failing? I doubt that I will see much, if any, of my SS and I don't plan on having any, so I plan to take care of myself.
    SS is not failing, it still has a surplus of money that is counted as special intragovernment bonds that earn a low rate of return. It will be under pressure in the future without some changes to it. The federal government will also have to transfer some funds from general revenues to SS to pay for the borrowing from it. But with changes to retirement dates, lowering benifits, and potentionally increasing contribution rates and it will be fine. Not to mention if it was able to actually invest in things other then the Federal government bonds
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  10. #140
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: how old are you, and how much do you have saved toward retirement?

    nearly 50 and I haven't saved a dime....I plan on living off social security
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •