View Poll Results: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed? Please select all that apply

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marijuana (Cannabis indica) should not be farmed for any use

    33 40.24%
  • Marijuana (Cannabis indica) should be farmed for medicinal purposes

    25 30.49%
  • Marijuana (Cannabis indica) should be farmed for purposes similar to those of alcohol and tobacco

    31 37.80%
  • Farming Marijuana and or Hemp would boost our economy

    34 41.46%
  • Hemp (Cannabis indica) should never be farmed

    34 41.46%
  • Hemp (Cannabis indica) should be farmed

    28 34.15%
  • Hemp should not be farmed, as law enforcement cannot tell it apart from Marijuana

    1 1.22%
  • Hemp should be farmed, as it is looks noticeably different from Marijuana

    9 10.98%
  • Marijuana and Hemp are both principally the same as they both can be used recreationally

    2 2.44%
  • Marijuana and Hemp are different plants; Hemp does not contain enough THC to be used recreationally

    16 19.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 113

Thread: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

  1. #1
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    Should the farming of hemp-producing Cannabis (Cannabis sativa) and or marijuana-producing Cannabis (Cannabis indica) be allowed in the U.S.?

  2. #2
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    Does it harm anyone? No. Then yes it should be allowed.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    Both cannabis indica and cannabis sativa produce smokeable flowers.

    Hemp should be farmed in mass quantities because we can make everything we need out of it. It is a miracle plant. The fact that it is either outright banned or so highly taxed that it's not profitable to grow just shows the insanity and meddling of our country's business sector.

    We wouldn't have to import lumber from Canada, fiber from China, or fish the oceans to produce omega oils. It's all in one plant. And if done correctly, it would be the most efficient way to make bio fuel.

  4. #4
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    Industrial Hemp has trace THC and is primarily crossed with varieties that produce fibers and little else. Hemp harms no one, is a reusable and renewable resource and could take the place of other raw materials such as wood pulp (for paper and other paper products) clothing, and thousands of other things. As far as I know hemp was thrown in with marijuana because of it's flexibility and renewability. The cotton and wool industry as well as the logging industry certainly didn't want hemp to be widely used and grown and benefited from it's restrictions of use in the U.S.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #5
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Industrial Hemp has trace THC and is primarily crossed with varieties that produce fibers and little else. Hemp harms no one, is a reusable and renewable resource and could take the place of other raw materials such as wood pulp (for paper and other paper products) clothing, and thousands of other things. As far as I know hemp was thrown in with marijuana because of it's flexibility and renewability. The cotton and wool industry as well as the logging industry certainly didn't want hemp to be widely used and grown and benefited from it's restrictions of use in the U.S.
    It seems like the different political ideologies are coming together on this one so far!

  6. #6
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    It seems like the different political ideologies are coming together on this one so far!
    Taking hemp off of the "dangerous" list is just the right thing to do. The history of the plant goes back thousands of years as does it's usefulness ... I would suspect smoking hemp leaves would leave one retching with a very sore throat.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #7
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,752

    Re: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    I think you may have your terms mixed up slightly in the poll choices, as you're calling both versions of Cannabis the same scientific name.

    However, I would say that hemp should be 100% legal for growth and processing.

    Marijuana should perhaps be similar to tobacco and alcohol.

    Since the plants are identical in appearance, it wouldn’t make sense to allow hemp growth while still having marijuana illegal.

    Unless some way of ensuring only the hemp version of cannabis is grown is out there…
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #8
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Taking hemp off of the "dangerous" list is just the right thing to do. The history of the plant goes back thousands of years as does it's usefulness ... I would suspect smoking hemp leaves would leave one retching with a very sore throat.
    So if everyone is in agreement in this .. why aren't things changing .. perhaps not everyone is in agreement on this and those that are not agreement, are ashamed and have no viable argument against allowing the crop(s).

  9. #9
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I think you may have your terms mixed up slightly in the poll choices, as you're calling both versions of Cannabis the same scientific name.
    Oops! I meant to put cannabis sativa for hemp (messed that up when I put up the post .. oops).

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    However, I would say that hemp should be 100% legal for growth and processing.

    Marijuana should perhaps be similar to tobacco and alcohol.
    I could not agree with you more

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Since the plants are identical in appearance, it wouldn’t make sense to allow hemp growth while still having marijuana illegal.

    Unless some way of ensuring only the hemp version of cannabis is grown is out there…
    As far as I know, they actually can be distinguished by physical appearance. see: Hemp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  10. #10
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,133

    Re: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    farming of marijuana for hemp or recreational use should be fully legal.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •