View Poll Results: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed? Please select all that apply

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marijuana (Cannabis indica) should not be farmed for any use

    33 40.24%
  • Marijuana (Cannabis indica) should be farmed for medicinal purposes

    25 30.49%
  • Marijuana (Cannabis indica) should be farmed for purposes similar to those of alcohol and tobacco

    31 37.80%
  • Farming Marijuana and or Hemp would boost our economy

    34 41.46%
  • Hemp (Cannabis indica) should never be farmed

    34 41.46%
  • Hemp (Cannabis indica) should be farmed

    28 34.15%
  • Hemp should not be farmed, as law enforcement cannot tell it apart from Marijuana

    1 1.22%
  • Hemp should be farmed, as it is looks noticeably different from Marijuana

    9 10.98%
  • Marijuana and Hemp are both principally the same as they both can be used recreationally

    2 2.44%
  • Marijuana and Hemp are different plants; Hemp does not contain enough THC to be used recreationally

    16 19.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 113

Thread: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

  1. #81
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    It'll demolish already established industries and quite possibly result in a loss of jobs.
    And those industries will be replaced by new ones, and that job loss will be replaced by the new jobs a legal marijuana trade would bring. Combine that with the crippling effect it will have on the cartels, and it's a win win.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  2. #82
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    And those industries will be replaced by new ones, and that job loss will be replaced by the new jobs a legal marijuana trade would bring. Combine that with the crippling effect it will have on the cartels, and it's a win win.
    I'm far more interested in other uses for cannabis plants, especially those that are commonly called “hemp”.

    From what I’ve heard and read, there are many industrial uses for them, including perhaps a better source of bio fuel than corn (and most definitely one that doesn’t eat into food production).
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #83
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I'm far more interested in other uses for cannabis plants, especially those that are commonly called “hemp”.

    From what I’ve heard and read, there are many industrial uses for them, including perhaps a better source of bio fuel than corn (and most definitely one that doesn’t eat into food production).
    There's something like 25,000 uses for hemp, it's an amazing thing. Damn shame it's outlawed. All the jobs that could be associated it would certainly help our economy.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  4. #84
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Can someone make one honest reason why this should not be legal with logical, true facts?
    I'll give it a try, I think one of the biggest reasons is because they haven't come up with a test yet to tell if you are legally under the influence (for driving and such) Then they will have to come up with standards of how much THC will be allowed in a joint. Who will be “sold” permits to grow they will have to qualify under government regulations. Those are just the more difficult things they haven't looked into …. there are going to be a multitude of other laws that will need to be passed, thing like criminal charges for unlicensed growers. (which will probably be even more severe then they are now) distribution areas need to be set up for growers, processing laws and standards. The list goes on and on ..

    Then you get to the political arena … there are still many that don't want it legalized, and politics being what they are, if you are from an area where 10 or 15 % of the voters don't want it legalized, and you are in a close race .. low and behold .. you are against it .. cause winning is everything is politics.

    Now for those that think legalizing will reduce crime, I really doubt that will be the case, at least not for a long while, remember when you legalize something, that means the government will have it's hand out at every turn, their will be fee's and taxes to the growers, fees and taxes on the processors, fees and taxes on the retailers. Then the states are going to get their hand in the tax profits. By the time you go in to legally purchase pot, it's going to be at a higher price then you are now paying. That merely means that dealers might have to lower their prices a bit, for the black market to be a viable option.... which means the cartels from mexico might see a few billion dollars less per year, but they will still be making a very tidy profit.

    Now onto the crime stuff, comparing alcohol as by far more dangerous than pot is absurd ….. one being legal the other not, one being able to be tested easily for being under the influence, the other with no available tests. Not sure where any of you are from, but not many if any of my friends readily admitted to a cop that they have had a couple of tokes when questioned. Where as many of them will admit to having a couple of beers.

    Now as to my feelings on legalizing it .. I don't have a problem one way or the other, my feelings are the same people that would abuse alcohol are the same that will abuse pot, I see no difference in my friends that get off work .. go home and have a couple of beers, and those that go home and smoke. Rational responsible people will not be a problem either drinking .. or smoking
    Last edited by The Barbarian; 07-27-11 at 08:56 PM.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    I'll give it a try, I think one of the biggest reasons is because they haven't come up with a test yet to tell if you are legally under the influence (for driving and such) Then they will have to come up with standards of how much THC will be allowed in a joint. Who will be “sold” permits to grow they will have to qualify under government regulations. Those are just the more difficult things they haven't looked into …. there are going to be a multitude of other laws that will need to be passed, thing like criminal charges for unlicensed growers. (which will probably be even more severe then they are now) distribution areas need to be set up for growers, processing laws and standards. The list goes on and on ..
    New Device Claims ROadside Testing for Marijuana

    There is new technology being developed to detect marijuana intoxication for police and state troopers.

    THC is already fairly easily measured in laboratories. There is no reason why THC percentage should not be clearly labeled on commercially sold marijuana, just like ABV is printed on all alcohol containers.

    Why do marijuana growers need to be licensed? I've always advocated that marijuana growing be treated the same as homebrewing or home wineries. There is a clear legal distinction between hombrewers and commercial brewers.

    I have no problem with federally mandated marijuana quality controls, the same laws that keep our precious, precious booze high quality, regulated by the FDA.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Then you get to the political arena … there are still many that don't want it legalized, and politics being what they are, if you are from an area where 10 or 15 % of the voters don't want it legalized, and you are in a close race .. low and behold .. you are against it .. cause winning is everything is politics.
    I think it's quite clear that attitudes towards marijuana have changed significantly over the past few decades. Those 10-15% you speak of are usually the old folks, clinging on to their outdated politics. Give it another 10 to 15 years, the vast majority will be crying loud and clear to legalize and tax ganja. Especially when the nation is in a government debt crisis; how do you rationalize millions and millions of dollars being spent fighting against a plant that most people find at worst a marginally preferable alternative to alcohol or at best a beneficial wonder plant?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Now for those that think legalizing will reduce crime, I really doubt that will be the case, at least not for a long while, remember when you legalize something, that means the government will have it's hand out at every turn, their will be fee's and taxes to the growers, fees and taxes on the processors, fees and taxes on the retailers. Then the states are going to get their hand in the tax profits. By the time you go in to legally purchase pot, it's going to be at a higher price then you are now paying. That merely means that dealers might have to lower their prices a bit, for the black market to be a viable option.... which means the cartels from mexico might see a few billion dollars less per year, but they will still be making a very tidy profit.
    That's assuming a very big part of your scenario, of course. But again, I come back to sweet, sweet booze; why isn't there a black market for alcohol? More people drink alcohol than do any other drug. It's legal and regulated pretty fairly; teenagers have money and want to buy it, so the demand is there. But yet, we don't see a thriving black market for moonshine and bathtub gin, being sold by booze-pushers on the corner to innocent children, unaware of the quality of strength of the alcohol. God knows you can go blind from ill-produced hooch! So why doesn't this scenario present itself in an already popular, well-known and easily accessible drug? Does the same really hold true to a legalized-chronic situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Now onto the crime stuff, comparing alcohol as by far more dangerous than pot is absurd ….. one being legal the other not, one being able to be tested easily for being under the influence, the other with no available tests. Not sure where any of you are from, but not many if any of my friends readily admitted to a cop that they have had a couple of tokes when questioned. Where as many of them will admit to having a couple of beers.
    Again, there are already tests available to test for THC intoxication.

    Effects of THC on driving performance, physiological state and subjective feelings relative to alcohol.
    Ronen A, Gershon P, Drobiner H, Rabinovich A, Bar-Hamburger R, Mechoulam R, Cassuto Y, Shinar D.
    Source

    Work Physiology, Human Factors and Traffic Safety, Department of Industrial Engineering and Management, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel. adiro@bgu.ac.il
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND:

    The effects of marijuana or THC on driving has been tested in several studies, but usually not in conjunction with physiological and subjective responses and not in comparison to alcohol effects on all three types of measures.
    OBJECTIVE:

    To assess the effects of two dosages of THC relative to alcohol on driving performance, physiological strain, and subjective feelings.
    METHOD:

    We tested the subjective feelings and driving abilities after placebo, smoking two dosages of THC (13 mg and 17 mg), drinking (0.05% BAC) and 24 h after smoking the high dose THC cigarette, while monitoring physiological activity of the drugs by heart rate. Fourteen healthy students, all recreational marijuana users, participated in the study.
    RESULTS:

    Both levels of THC cigarettes significantly affected the subjects in a dose-dependent manner. The moderate dose of alcohol and the low THC dose were equally detrimental to some of the driving abilities, with some differences between the two drugs. THC primarily caused elevation in physical effort and physical discomfort during the drive while alcohol tended to affect sleepiness level. After THC administration, subjects drove significantly slower than in the control condition, while after alcohol ingestion, subjects drove significantly faster than in the control condition. No THC effects were observed after 24 h on any of the measures.


    When someone cops to drinking even a small amount of alcohol, that is legitimate grounds (in most states) for a sobriety check. Why would this be any different from marijuana?
    Last edited by RadicalModerate; 07-28-11 at 04:23 AM.

  6. #86
    Educator DemonMyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Seattle WA.
    Last Seen
    02-11-13 @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    727

    Re: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    My only concern with the free use of Hemp is that I am not sure I want to share the freeway with someone who is stoned no more than I want to share the freeway with someone who is drunk..

    I am all for legalizing Hemp, but it should be restricted like a narcotic.. There should be no recreational use for it or personal farming.. Perscription only and manufactured and regulated like any other drug..

    Alcohol kills enough people every year.. We don't need to give people another chance to kill themselves.. I pray for the day when they actually invent synthohol, same taste but no mind altering effects..

    The main reason for my feelings is simply, sure.. There are some responsible people out there that would grow the stuff for their own medical uses.. It is the morons that will start smoking the stuff everywhere they go.. Invasion of the pot heads!! Some moron in the shopping mall because he thinks he is going to be eaten by the esculator.. Or the guy laughing at the counter watching hamburgers being cooked at Burger King..

    Then we are going to have tons of court cases trying to determine of smoking regulations applies to pot smokers.. What about those that have a perscription?? People are stupid.. That is a simple fact.. There is a reason every hair dryer has a tag that reminds you not to use it in the bath tub.. It isn't because people are smart.. Or McDonalds has a warning on their coffee cups that reads 'The beverage you are about to enjoy is hot.'.. Again people are stupid.. They are to stupid for alcohol and they are certianly to stupid for legalized hemp..

    Regulated and distributed like any other narcotic pain killers and I am fine with it.. If I can't freely have dilauded, then you can't grow pot in your basement..

    I didn't vote because the option that I would choose was not there.. Farmed and regulated for pharmacutical use only.. No private or commecial farming.. It is either made into a pill and marketed as a pain killer or any other medical use that it may have and distributed by perscription only..
    Last edited by DemonMyst; 07-28-11 at 04:47 AM.

  7. #87
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    And those industries will be replaced by new ones, and that job loss will be replaced by the new jobs a legal marijuana trade would bring. Combine that with the crippling effect it will have on the cartels, and it's a win win.
    No, the sheer amount of industries that could have their profits cut into by switching to hemp is enormous, and hemp is easy to grow and process, so it doesn't require as many people, as say, cotton. If you replace cotton with hemp, not only is it all the employees that grow cotton out of employ (who probably could find employment in the hemp industry), it is also 50% of the pesticide industry down the drain, as well as people who manufacture chemicals to process the cotton that are not needed with hemp fibres. As you say, there's 25,000 uses for hemp, and it's an extremely efficient crop to grow, needing less water, fertiliser and pesticides than any comparable crop, it will lead to a net loss in jobs, there's no way round that.

    (I'm actually for hemp production, TheDemSocialist just asked for a logical reason why it shouldn't be legal, so I gave one. )
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonMyst View Post
    My only concern with the free use of Hemp is that I am not sure I want to share the freeway with someone who is stoned no more than I want to share the freeway with someone who is drunk..

    I am all for legalizing Hemp, but it should be restricted like a narcotic.. There should be no recreational use for it or personal farming.. Perscription only and manufactured and regulated like any other drug..

    Alcohol kills enough people every year.. We don't need to give people another chance to kill themselves.. I pray for the day when they actually invent synthohol, same taste but no mind altering effects..

    The main reason for my feelings is simply, sure.. There are some responsible people out there that would grow the stuff for their own medical uses.. It is the morons that will start smoking the stuff everywhere they go.. Invasion of the pot heads!! Some moron in the shopping mall because he thinks he is going to be eaten by the esculator.. Or the guy laughing at the counter watching hamburgers being cooked at Burger King..

    Then we are going to have tons of court cases trying to determine of smoking regulations applies to pot smokers.. What about those that have a perscription?? People are stupid.. That is a simple fact.. There is a reason every hair dryer has a tag that reminds you not to use it in the bath tub.. It isn't because people are smart.. Or McDonalds has a warning on their coffee cups that reads 'The beverage you are about to enjoy is hot.'.. Again people are stupid.. They are to stupid for alcohol and they are certianly to stupid for legalized hemp..

    Regulated and distributed like any other narcotic pain killers and I am fine with it.. If I can't freely have dilauded, then you can't grow pot in your basement..

    I didn't vote because the option that I would choose was not there.. Farmed and regulated for pharmacutical use only.. No private or commecial farming.. It is either made into a pill and marketed as a pain killer or any other medical use that it may have and distributed by perscription only..
    You do realize cannabis sativa (hemp) is a different biological classification from cannabis indica (marijuana)?
    Last edited by RadicalModerate; 07-28-11 at 05:18 AM.

  9. #89
    User stelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    05-31-13 @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    129

    Re: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonMyst View Post
    Alcohol kills enough people every year.. We don't need to give people another chance to kill themselves.. I pray for the day when they actually invent synthohol, same taste but no mind altering effects.
    I don't think many people drink for the taste...they'd all be drinking chocolate milk if that was the case.

    The main reason for my feelings is simply, sure.. There are some responsible people out there that would grow the stuff for their own medical uses.. It is the morons that will start smoking the stuff everywhere they go.. Invasion of the pot heads!! Some moron in the shopping mall because he thinks he is going to be eaten by the esculator.. Or the guy laughing at the counter watching hamburgers being cooked at Burger King..
    Those people aren't potheads. It's called "psychosis". :P

    I didn't vote because the option that I would choose was not there.. Farmed and regulated for pharmacutical use only.. No private or commecial farming.. It is either made into a pill and marketed as a pain killer or any other medical use that it may have and distributed by perscription only..
    By the time you get it to pill form, you've lost a lot of the benefits. It becomes one more lousy pharmaceutical.

    In fact, my only concern with legalization is that we'd have crappy GMO pot with additives, similar what passes for "cigarettes", "food" and "water" in this country.

  10. #90
    User stelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    05-31-13 @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    129

    Re: Should the farming of hemp and or marijuana be allowed in the U.S.?

    Here's an interesting link, it says it kills antibiotic-resistant staph:
    Cannabis Kills All Known Germs..Dead..including MRSA superbug // Current

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •