View Poll Results: See OP

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 20.00%
  • No

    23 65.71%
  • Other

    1 2.86%
  • Rootabega

    4 11.43%
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 162

Thread: Multiculturalism

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-11 @ 06:08 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133

    Re: Multiculturalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Juiposa View Post
    I was using us as a single example. There are other multicultural nations, France being one of the most.

    My point is that while some of you worry about having your identity protected, and want a clear concise culture, we up here, and in France, Germany, Norway have multicultural societies but our cultures can still be identified as Canadian, French, German and Norwegian. The Multiculturalism is what forms our countries' cultures.
    But for how long will those countries retain even a remnant of their original cultures after the aliens have become the majority? Think further ahead than tomorrow.
    Last edited by Basher; 07-27-11 at 11:03 AM.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-11 @ 06:08 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133

    Re: Multiculturalism

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    To the OP question (I voted "other"):

    Multiculturalism: Yes, of course.

    *BUT* within a frame of a society that respects minority rights, religious freedom and a free, open political system. Each of the different subcultures within society must embrace this frame, else it cannot work but will fall apart.

    But as long as this frame is respected, multiculturalism should be encouraged: As long as you live and let live, it really doesn't matter how you dress, what you eat, what you believe, how you worship -- and of course it does even matter less which skin color you have, which language is your first language, or which country you or your parents are originally from.

    For technical reasons, I'd include language skills of the respective native language: It's necessary for a society to function that all subcultures can at least communicate without greater difficulties.

    Some Muslim immigrants still seem to have problems with this concept. But even moreso, there are much more, by far much more natives who have a problem with that. Xenophobes who want a homogenous society, that is ethnically, culturally or racially "pure". Those people are the enemies of freedom and the enemies of an open society. I'd give random Muslim extremists as example, or right-wingers la Wilders, or Breivik.
    If you were in charge of a zoo, would you have all the beasts mix with one another? Please don't remark that humans are not beasts, which would be a cop-out. The principle is the same.
    Last edited by Basher; 07-27-11 at 11:07 AM.

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Multiculturalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Juiposa View Post
    Multiculturalism as a state policy, yes or no?

    I bring this up as the man behind the Norway attacks did it on motivation from Norway's open doors policy on immigration.
    Yeah, I think it's a fine policy. It's the kind of policy, I think, that only has a chance in secular/liberal democracies like the United States.

    There's this notion that multiculturalism prevents a nation from becoming united, but that idea rests on the false premise that multiple cultures cannot share a political culture. In other words, the idea that Mexican, South African, German, Native American, etc. cultures cannot coexist while their members are united under the American ideals embodied in the Constitution is not only a direct contradiction to the current United States, but also completely illogical.

    I like living in a place where I can expose myself to many cultures. And to be honest, I think many immigrants appreciate American ideals more than many non-immigrants since the former tend to purposely come here to experience them whereas many in the latter group either take them for granted or try to turn this country something it isn't. Consequently, the idea that multiculturalism hurts a country doesn't really line up with my experiences so I support it.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-11 @ 06:08 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133

    Re: Multiculturalism

    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Socialist. View Post
    I'm all for muti-culturalism. I don't what someone's race, religion, or (insert other cultural differences here), is. The more diverse a culture is a better. There is only one race and that is the human race.
    Are you saying that negroid, Caucasoid, Oriental, etc. are not races? If not, what are they?

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Multiculturalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Basher View Post
    Are you saying that negroid, Caucasoid, Oriental, etc. are not races? If not, what are they?
    Race is a social construct that doesn't have a scientific basis.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-11 @ 06:08 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133

    Re: Multiculturalism

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Yeah, I think it's a fine policy. It's the kind of policy, I think, that only has a chance in secular/liberal democracies like the United States.

    There's this notion that multiculturalism prevents a nation from becoming united, but that idea rests on the false premise that multiple cultures cannot share a political culture. In other words, the idea that Mexican, South African, German, Native American, etc. cultures cannot coexist while their members are united under the American ideals embodied in the Constitution is not only a direct contradiction to the current United States, but also completely illogical.

    I like living in a place where I can expose myself to many cultures. And to be honest, I think many immigrants appreciate American ideals more than many non-immigrants since the former tend to purposely come here to experience them whereas many in the latter group either take them for granted or try to turn this country something it isn't. Consequently, the idea that multiculturalism hurts a country doesn't really line up with my experiences so I support it.
    Can you name a stable nation where there is wide-spread diversity of racial segments of population? Israel?

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-11 @ 06:08 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133

    Re: Multiculturalism

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Race is a social construct that doesn't have a scientific basis.
    That isn't responsive to the question. If that is so, then humanity must be a construct; n'est-ce pas?

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Multiculturalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Basher View Post
    Can you name a stable nation where there is wide-spread diversity of racial segments of population? Israel?
    The United States - unless there's a civil war I'm not aware of.

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Multiculturalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Basher View Post
    That isn't responsive to the question. If that is so, then humanity must be a construct; n'est-ce pas?
    That is the only response to your question. Race is a social construct - it doesn't have a scientific basis. Humanity has a scientific basis - it isn't a construct.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-11 @ 06:08 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133

    Re: Multiculturalism

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    The United States - unless there's a civil war I'm not aware of.
    Stability isn't the absence of civil war, and if you consider America to be a stable country, you haven't been keeping up with the news. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •