View Poll Results: Which of the following is most accurate of the lower class citizens not paying taxes?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0% are taking unfair advantage of the system

    6 14.63%
  • 25% are taking unfair advantage of the system

    6 14.63%
  • 50% are taking unfair advantage of the system

    11 26.83%
  • 75% are taking unfair advantage of the system

    10 24.39%
  • 100% are taking unfair advantage of the system

    8 19.51%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: What percentage of the lower classes is taking advantage of the system?

  1. #1
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    What percentage of the lower classes is taking advantage of the system?

    I think there may be many people who think that those people who do not pay taxes are taking advantage of the system. Some think this because they think everyone should have to pay taxes. Some think this because they think certain individuals are purposefully using the system to their advantage, rather than bettering themselves etc. On the other hand, many people believe that a large portion of those not paying taxes are hard workers and have nothing against paying taxes if they could afford to. So lets see how people view this population; shall we?

  2. #2
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What percentage of the lower classes is taking advantage of the system?

    It would depend on your view of "take advantage of the system". If that means persons that receive some sort of benefit from the federal system and pay no or little federal taxes that would be much higher then say someone that abuses the system outright.

    I chose 75% because I believe the number rests somewhere between 75-100. Every American benefits from tax funded federal services in one form or another yet a small percentage are truly disabled and I would not consider them to be taking advantage of the system.

    If you are talking outright abuse and receiving added assistance from the government or using government services as a lifestyle subsidy when one could do without it, I would place that at nearly 50%.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: What percentage of the lower classes is taking advantage of the system?

    I would say between 50-75%. I'm entirely fine with people who are absolutely physically and/or mentally unable to do any sort of meaningful work getting assistance, but that's a relatively small number of people. Lots of people are on the public dole, not because they cannot work, but because they refuse to work. I view that as abuse of the system.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #4
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: What percentage of the lower classes is taking advantage of the system?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    I think there may be many people who think that those people who do not pay taxes are taking advantage of the system. Some think this because they think everyone should have to pay taxes. Some think this because they think certain individuals are purposefully using the system to their advantage, rather than bettering themselves etc. On the other hand, many people believe that a large portion of those not paying taxes are hard workers and have nothing against paying taxes if they could afford to. So lets see how people view this population; shall we?
    So...we get to decide what the "rich" can afford to pay, but those who are not rich get to decide what they can afford to pay?
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  5. #5
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: What percentage of the lower classes is taking advantage of the system?

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    So...we get to decide what the "rich" can afford to pay, but those who are not rich get to decide what they can afford to pay?
    It's the liberal way.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #6
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: What percentage of the lower classes is taking advantage of the system?

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    So...we get to decide what the "rich" can afford to pay, but those who are not rich get to decide what they can afford to pay?
    Simply expressing the opinions I have seen in order to spur debate

  7. #7
    User Bigkat80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    12-11-11 @ 06:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60

    Re: What percentage of the lower classes is taking advantage of the system?

    Lets be real, Although its purely ancedotal. Every single worker that works for me gets back way more than they paid in due to EIC loopholes etc. That is a huge portion of our tqax dollars being handed out. Most go to these shady Tax folks that specialize in gettting the max return. It is or should be impossible to get back more than what was deducted from your check, yet it happens every year.
    The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them. Patrick Henry

  8. #8
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: What percentage of the lower classes is taking advantage of the system?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigkat80 View Post
    Lets be real, Although its purely ancedotal. Every single worker that works for me gets back way more than they paid in due to EIC loopholes etc. That is a huge portion of our tqax dollars being handed out. Most go to these shady Tax folks that specialize in gettting the max return. It is or should be impossible to get back more than what was deducted from your check, yet it happens every year.
    I believe this is done for two reasons. 1.) to make up for unequal opportunity and 2.) I believe the more money you make, the higher your EIC is until you are out of the "poverty level" or something like that (correct me if I am wrong), this is done to encourage citizens to make more money.

  9. #9
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: What percentage of the lower classes is taking advantage of the system?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I would say between 50-75%. I'm entirely fine with people who are absolutely physically and/or mentally unable to do any sort of meaningful work getting assistance, but that's a relatively small number of people. Lots of people are on the public dole, not because they cannot work, but because they refuse to work. I view that as abuse of the system.
    With unemployment at 9.2%, I have difficulty believing that's a serious problem at this point in time. There are far more people who want to work than there are jobs available. As for the handful who ARE lazy...well, as long as there are others who are legitimately looking for jobs, it's probably better that they not compete for the available positions anyway.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 07-23-11 at 07:16 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #10
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    07-24-11 @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6
    I believe it is more desirable to earn a meager wage, pay taxes, and not qualify for benefits, than it is to not earn a wage, not pay taxes, and qualify for benefits. My reasoning is that the person who earns enough but does not qualify STILL has more cash than the welfare recipient. This leads me to believe that most don't desire an income of welfare alone, and if given an oppurtunity to earn more through work and lose the benefits would go the working route. However there is the 10-15% of the population that would prefer to be lazy and receive less monies in exchange for getting to relax, because the little they do have is "enough" in their eyes so why work? So my response would be: 10-15% of all people on welfare are taking advantage and abusing the system.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •