View Poll Results: Does the average citizen harbor envy/jealousy, hatred for the extremely wealthy?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    52 67.53%
  • No

    25 32.47%
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 284

Thread: Does the average citizen harbor envy/jealousy, hatred for the extremely wealthy?

  1. #201
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Does the average citizen harbor envy/jealousy, hatred for the extremely wealthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    No, it simply means that the pact of a good wage for hard work has been broken as working and middle class incomes have stagnated for about 30 years while incomes in the top bracket have risen significantly.

    None of this would be happening if people were getting paid fairly - as they were for most of our post-World War II history.

    Government wouldn't be needed if the top classes were still offering decent jobs and wages. Instead, they've moved jobs overseas and left Americans with the jobs that pay $7.50 to $10.00 an hour. And our government has given them tax breaks, corporate welfare, and other incentives to do this.

    Government should be setting policies that do the most good for the most people. It should not be setting policies that celebrate and encourage the wealthiest few sending jobs overseas and stifling wage growth.

    For instance: The Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee CEO recently got a raise from $1.7 million to $6.2 million. Her employees all got a 2% raise and my partner's division shed 26 jobs. Premiums paid by BCBST insured went up approximately 8%. Additionally, the Board of Directors of BCBST, which is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit according to its tax filings, make between $75,000 and $100,000 a year. This is a NOT-FOR-PROFIT not paying government taxes on their "profits" of over $59 million and their reserve (which an insurance company does have to have, I know) of $1.4 billion.

    People pay more for their insurance, people lose jobs, others get insignificant increases in pay all so she can see her salary triple - when she works for a so-called not-for-profit.

    We incentivise this type of behavior and reward it with our lack of regulation and tax policy. We've been doing so to a degree that it's shrinking our middle class, and that's incredibly dangerous with a consumer-driven economy. No matter how hard they try, the top 1% of earners will never be able to spend as much as the remaining 99%. Without that spending, we have no economy. If the other 99% don't have money to spend, our economy is dead.

    I've said from the get go, I don't care if you let corporate tax rates drop to ZERO - as long as the breaks are given for hiring Americans - not for giving their board and executives million-dollar pats on the back for sending jobs overseas.

    John Boehner calls them "job creators". Create some ****ing jobs then.
    you are confused. if you are willing to work for 7 dollars an hour that is a fair valuation of your labor.



  2. #202
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Does the average citizen harbor envy/jealousy, hatred for the extremely wealthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    most of your erroneous conclusions are based on the foundational error that the government is giving the rich money. Only can someone who believes all money and wealth initially belongs to the government could make such a fundamentally wrong statement
    The "temporary" tax cuts temporarily allowed the rich to pay much less in taxes than their fair share. This helped create our debt. If we decide to get serious about reducing debt, we will have to let these temporary tax cuts expire.

    Until then, we are just pissing in the wind, and we call that Trickle Down Economics!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #203
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Does the average citizen harbor envy/jealousy, hatred for the extremely wealthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    No, it simply means that the pact of a good wage for hard work has been broken as working and middle class incomes have stagnated for about 30 years while incomes in the top bracket have risen significantly.

    None of this would be happening if people were getting paid fairly - as they were for most of our post-World War II history.

    Government wouldn't be needed if the top classes were still offering decent jobs and wages. Instead, they've moved jobs overseas and left Americans with the jobs that pay $7.50 to $10.00 an hour. And our government has given them tax breaks, corporate welfare, and other incentives to do this.

    Government should be setting policies that do the most good for the most people. It should not be setting policies that celebrate and encourage the wealthiest few sending jobs overseas and stifling wage growth.

    For instance: The Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee CEO recently got a raise from $1.7 million to $6.2 million. Her employees all got a 2% raise and my partner's division shed 26 jobs. Premiums paid by BCBST insured went up approximately 8%. Additionally, the Board of Directors of BCBST, which is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit according to its tax filings, make between $75,000 and $100,000 a year. This is a NOT-FOR-PROFIT not paying government taxes on their "profits" of over $59 million and their reserve (which an insurance company does have to have, I know) of $1.4 billion.

    People pay more for their insurance, people lose jobs, others get insignificant increases in pay all so she can see her salary triple - when she works for a so-called not-for-profit.

    We incentivise this type of behavior and reward it with our lack of regulation and tax policy. We've been doing so to a degree that it's shrinking our middle class, and that's incredibly dangerous with a consumer-driven economy. No matter how hard they try, the top 1% of earners will never be able to spend as much as the remaining 99%. Without that spending, we have no economy. If the other 99% don't have money to spend, our economy is dead.

    I've said from the get go, I don't care if you let corporate tax rates drop to ZERO - as long as the breaks are given for hiring Americans - not for giving their board and executives million-dollar pats on the back for sending jobs overseas.

    John Boehner calls them "job creators". Create some ****ing jobs then.
    I could not agree with you more. This has got to be one of the most well put arguments for saving our economy, re-establishing a middle class and reducing overall suffering. 5/5 Stars

  4. #204
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Does the average citizen harbor envy/jealousy, hatred for the extremely wealthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The "temporary" tax cuts temporarily allowed the rich to pay much less in taxes than their fair share. This helped create our debt. If we decide to get serious about reducing debt, we will have to let these temporary tax cuts expire.

    Until then, we are just pissing in the wind, and we call that Trickle Down Economics!
    you can call anything you want fair share but your claim that the rich don't pay their fair share is a sickening combination of dishonesty and marxist nonsense

    the top 1 percent make 22% of the income and pay almost 40% of the income tax.

    a fair baseline is 22% of the income tax burden. they also pay that massive surcharge called the death tax which almost no other group pays (though many in the next 2% spend a lot of money avoiding death taxes through insurance, trusts, etc)

    what helped create our debt is massive spending demanded by the lower classes who feel they have no duty to pay for it

    I have a rational and objective definition of fairness-if you make X amount of the income you pay X amount of the income tax. that is still progressive and the rich still pay far more than they use

    you cannot even come up with a rational formula



  5. #205
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Does the average citizen harbor envy/jealousy, hatred for the extremely wealthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    I could not agree with you more. This has got to be one of the most well put arguments for saving our economy, re-establishing a middle class and reducing overall suffering. 5/5 Stars

    its silly, the rich once had to offer artificially high salaries because we did not have a global economy



  6. #206
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Does the average citizen harbor envy/jealousy, hatred for the extremely wealthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    its silly, the rich once had to offer artificially high salaries because we did not have a global economy
    And what was wrong with that?

  7. #207
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Does the average citizen harbor envy/jealousy, hatred for the extremely wealthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    And what was wrong with that?
    any company who has to pay a higher price for the same quality commodity than its competition is going out of business.



  8. #208
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Does the average citizen harbor envy/jealousy, hatred for the extremely wealthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    any company who has to pay a higher price for the same quality commodity than its competition is going out of business.
    Why would that be?

  9. #209
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Does the average citizen harbor envy/jealousy, hatred for the extremely wealthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Why would that be?
    seriously? you don't understand that concept?



  10. #210
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Does the average citizen harbor envy/jealousy, hatred for the extremely wealthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    seriously? you don't understand that concept?
    Please, do explain why you think that would be the case ... do you deflect the question for lack of an answer?

Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •