Yes, most, or many, rich worked hard to achieve, create opportunities and jobs, but we must understand that just as many squander and live large, and never worked a day in their lives.
Too broad a brush leads to confusion. Make distinctions.
Just as not all rich are the same, many of the needy do need help, while others just feel entitled.
1) even if someone is rich only (and those are few) because their parents were rich at some point someone earned that money and that is how they wanted it to be used. Those heirs don't cost me or you money and they aren't responsible for causing government to grow and expand malignantly
2) what loopholes? the biggest loophole going is people who have all the rights to vote as taxpayers but are not
Of course the rich can spend their money as they see fit, and therefor create a trickle down effect, if you will.
But lets make a distinction between the rich.
Hollywood, pro sports, and yes, trust funders,
vs hard working business owners, can't hardly be compared.
But yes, its their money, they may do with it as they see fit, within the law.
If the law closes all loopholes.
But again, also make a distinction between career/generational needy, and those who are actually in need, can't fend for themselves, the sick, disabled, elderly, and even those who can't find jobs, no matter how hard they try...emphasis on trying, willingness to work.
Job creation, jobs for the willing, tax revenue, funds for the needy, it all starts and ends with JOBS.
But on topic, I do not think that there is an envy of the wealthy, its just that people are pissed that corporations and big wigs can go and hide their money on offshore tax havens, get multi-billion dollar bailouts, commit massive financial crimes and barely get a slap on the wrists, and can influence the government to the point where they destroy the general social safety net at the expense of the poor/middle class instead of going after those offshore tax havens.
"And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."
Economic Left/Right: -7.25, Authoritarian/Libertarian:-7.13
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. -Noam Chomsky
None of this would be happening if people were getting paid fairly - as they were for most of our post-World War II history.
Government wouldn't be needed if the top classes were still offering decent jobs and wages. Instead, they've moved jobs overseas and left Americans with the jobs that pay $7.50 to $10.00 an hour. And our government has given them tax breaks, corporate welfare, and other incentives to do this.
Government should be setting policies that do the most good for the most people. It should not be setting policies that celebrate and encourage the wealthiest few sending jobs overseas and stifling wage growth.
For instance: The Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee CEO recently got a raise from $1.7 million to $6.2 million. Her employees all got a 2% raise and my partner's division shed 26 jobs. Premiums paid by BCBST insured went up approximately 8%. Additionally, the Board of Directors of BCBST, which is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit according to its tax filings, make between $75,000 and $100,000 a year. This is a NOT-FOR-PROFIT not paying government taxes on their "profits" of over $59 million and their reserve (which an insurance company does have to have, I know) of $1.4 billion.
People pay more for their insurance, people lose jobs, others get insignificant increases in pay all so she can see her salary triple - when she works for a so-called not-for-profit.
We incentivise this type of behavior and reward it with our lack of regulation and tax policy. We've been doing so to a degree that it's shrinking our middle class, and that's incredibly dangerous with a consumer-driven economy. No matter how hard they try, the top 1% of earners will never be able to spend as much as the remaining 99%. Without that spending, we have no economy. If the other 99% don't have money to spend, our economy is dead.
I've said from the get go, I don't care if you let corporate tax rates drop to ZERO - as long as the breaks are given for hiring Americans - not for giving their board and executives million-dollar pats on the back for sending jobs overseas.
John Boehner calls them "job creators". Create some ****ing jobs then.
"He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)