View Poll Results: Do The Rich Need Saving?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 10.00%
  • No

    59 84.29%
  • Not Sure

    0 0%
  • Other/explain

    4 5.71%
Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 443

Thread: Do The Rich Need Saving?

  1. #131
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Do The Rich Need Saving?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Not everyone can become rich though. I forget the stat, but there was a study done some time ago in which a survey showed that something like 8 or so % of the population thought they were in the top 1% of the income bracket and another 15 or so % thought they'd be in the top 1% within their life time. But only 1% of those earning income can be in the top 1% of the income bracket. Furthermore, with the withering of the middle class thanks to the mixing of State and Corporation, fewer and fewer people can get rich. A large, healthy middle class is necessary for economic mobility. It's not closed off yet, some people can and perhaps will become rich. But it's becoming less and less common. With the closure of economic mobility and the appearance of the new aristocracy, we're going to see less (not more) economic mobility. It's not a zero sum game, but not everyone can win either.
    The middle class can be rich - don't confuse rich with wealthy.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #132
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,733

    Re: Do The Rich Need Saving?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    You get the luxury of being allowed to be wealthy, to be allowed to hoard and spend more money (much more) than you need to in order to live. Whether or not you take advantage of this allowance from the government is your choice. Think of it this way ... the government could be (in all fairness) demanding much more from the wealthy, but they do not. Therefore, the wealthy get to keep the majority of the beyond needed income they accumulate (hoard). Therefore the government allows you much more benefits than those who pay no taxes receive.
    that is patently ridiculous. that is like saying the honors student has the luxury of making A grades or the track champion who runs 130 miles a week has the luxury of beating the guys who only train 30 miles a week

    if the government got too parasitic politicians would be in deep crap

    your nonsense is like saying crooks allow me to keep more money when they don't steal from me

    jealousy and envy is the basis for this sort of thinking



  3. #133
    Advisor Binky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In the land that is now.
    Last Seen
    07-19-14 @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    595
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do The Rich Need Saving?

    Quote Originally Posted by mach View Post
    that's propoganda, most people pay their taxes, and there are not that many loopholes that are that large, to make your post realistic. Companies who pay little nealry always either posted a loss to offset it (they lost money!! Something workers aren't normally familiar with because they have salaries that are always 0 or higher!), or they paid it in another country where the work was done.

    For individuals, they don't get out of it with loopholes either. Those with retirement incomes or who have large (enough) amounts of wealth, might invest it in the economy and get a return on that investment if it's left for over a year, and that's taxed at a lower rate. But that doesn't take rich tax attorneys, everyone with a 401k or ira, etc., does this, nearly alandl americans participate in this themselves at retirement either way!




    lolololol! If you say so. Man, what a dream world you live in....

  4. #134
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,733

    Re: Do The Rich Need Saving?

    Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    [/b]



    lolololol! If you say so. Man, what a dream world you live in....
    he's correct if he talks about people who actually have had a life of fairly regular employment



  5. #135
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,047

    Re: Do The Rich Need Saving?

    Originally Posted by Oberon
    Yes. I agree. They just stole a lot of stuff from AT&T's government funded research contract for computing, and went on from there. They're just pirates who mostly buy or steal developments from other people. Gates didn't even have an OS when he sold one to IBM.

    So, how does Gates being worth $40 billion from a monopoly help the economy, exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    His company, which is why he is rich, benefits the economy. I'm pretty sure that's obvious (and was also mentioned in my post).
    That wasn't much of a response...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Do The Rich Need Saving?

    The rich are saved! Everybody, write and thank Boner.

  7. #137
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Do The Rich Need Saving?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that is like saying the honors student has the luxury of making A grades or the track champion who runs 130 miles a week has the luxury of beating the guys who only train 30 miles a week
    Your analogy would be true if the person that trained harder also got a head-start on all of his races.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    if the government got too parasitic politicians would be in deep crap
    if so, that would be evidence of corruption

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    is like saying crooks allow me to keep more money when they don't steal from me
    Except that that would be a completely inaccurate analogy

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    jealousy and envy is the basis for this sort of thinking
    For some perhaps, but for me, keep dreaming

  8. #138
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,733

    Re: Do The Rich Need Saving?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Your analogy would be true if the person that trained harder also got a head-start on all of his races.



    if so, that would be evidence of corruption



    Except that that would be a completely inaccurate analogy



    For some perhaps, but for me, keep dreaming
    Nah I am completely right



  9. #139
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Do The Rich Need Saving?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Since in many poor school districts, there is a better than 50% drop out rate in high school, we certainly can't blame inability to afford college as a factor. They had the opportunity, they squandered it. Now I will say that college can be expensive. I paid my own way 100%. I worked 2 jobs and took a full-time course load. I didn't sleep much, I had very little social life, but I did it and so can anyone else who puts their mind to it. So... equal opportunity.
    So do you stick to this erroneous assumption because you want to see all the other poor folk work 2 jobs with a full-time course load and loose sleep like you had too? This seems like the only rational cause for your stubborn adherence to an erroneous myth. You see, the simple fact that you had to work 2 jobs while going to school full-time and your wealthy peers had the option to only focus on their curriculum (and avoid working 2 jobs), is the definition of unequal opportunity. Additionally, unless you received a scholarship, you likely did not attend an ivy league school, yet another example of unequal opportunity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    No, I'm not among the few who can do it, anyone who wants to do it can do it.
    And you are basing this opinion on the fact that you were skilled enough to do it, therefore everyone else should be able to as well? This is the worst basis for a hypothesis that I have ever heard. You have no supporting data other than you and very very small group of other lucky and skilled individuals. You have not tested factors such as I.Q., psychological traits, physical stamina level and ability to appeal to professors. You have also not compared these factors to those that end up making more money than those few who can make it through college, to see if they had comparable factors. Your argument has no basis in reality as you have not provided any of these relative data sets. I am wondering what you went to college for, as if you did, most curriculum require some sort of statistical course ... if you did take such a class, then you obviously did not retain that information - evidence of the inability of people to work 2 jobs get little sleep and take a full course load while still actually learning (instead of just passing) in their classes.

  10. #140
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Do The Rich Need Saving?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Nah I am completely right
    LOL! Mmm Hmmm .... right ....

Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •