View Poll Results: How should American solve its debt-deficit crisis?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tax increases on the wealthy

    1 11.11%
  • Spending cuts

    0 0%
  • Spending cuts AND tax increases on the wealthy

    1 11.11%
  • Spending cuts AND closing tax-loopholes

    2 22.22%
  • ALL three.

    5 55.56%
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How should America solve the debt-deficit crisis?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    How should America solve the debt-deficit crisis?

    should we do it with JUST spending cuts, JUST tax-increases, JUST closing tax-loopholes, or a combo or all three, or two..or something else?

  2. #2
    Student Krasche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Great Lakes, IL
    Last Seen
    07-08-15 @ 05:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    153

    Re: How should America solve the debt-deficit crisis?

    Spending cuts and closing loopholes. And when I say spending cuts, I don't mean the defense budget or welfare budget. I mean the rediculous salaries our "paid politicians" give themselves.

  3. #3
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,904

    Re: How should America solve the debt-deficit crisis?

    I d say Spending cuts, close tax loop holes, AND reduce taxes.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: How should America solve the debt-deficit crisis?

    spending cuts on ALL programs, defense, foreign aid, everything. raise the SS age for folks born after 1973, find more ways to save money with Medicaid & Medicare, reduce farm-aid.

    NO sacred cows.

    plus, close tax-loopholes and return the wealthy to their pre-Bish tax rates, which means raising their taxes by 3%.

    do all of this, and we can reduce the debt by $5 trillion in 10 years.

  5. #5
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: How should America solve the debt-deficit crisis?

    Reading over the Gang of Six proposal that came out today, it looks like it will have Two of the Three - spending cuts of about $4 Trillion and $1 Trillion in revenue increases - BUT it comes with lowered tax rates. Revenues will be increased by closing loopholes and deductions. If they can make this work, I would support it.

    Personally, to save Medicare I would means test it. I would also eliminate the cap on Social Security taxes so that all income (instead of just the first $130,000 or so) is taxed.

  6. #6
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,683

    Re: How should America solve the debt-deficit crisis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    spending cuts on ALL programs, defense, foreign aid, everything. raise the SS age for folks born after 1973, find more ways to save money with Medicaid & Medicare, reduce farm-aid.

    NO sacred cows.

    plus, close tax-loopholes and return the wealthy to their pre-Bish tax rates, which means raising their taxes by 3%.

    do all of this, and we can reduce the debt by $5 trillion in 10 years.
    Until the government proves it can and will make massive cuts no ones taxes should be increased and teh rich especially should not have their taxes increased while everyone else keeps their current rates



  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: How should America solve the debt-deficit crisis?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Reading over the Gang of Six proposal that came out today, it looks like it will have Two of the Three - spending cuts of about $4 Trillion and $1 Trillion in revenue increases - BUT it comes with lowered tax rates. Revenues will be increased by closing loopholes and deductions. If they can make this work, I would support it.

    Personally, to save Medicare I would means test it. I would also eliminate the cap on Social Security taxes so that all income (instead of just the first $130,000 or so) is taxed.
    oh yes, totally remove the cap on SS taxes. this cap idea is absolutely ridiculous.

    sounds good. get er' done cap'n Obama!!!


  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: How should America solve the debt-deficit crisis?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Until the government proves it can and will make massive cuts no ones taxes should be increased and teh rich especially should not have their taxes increased while everyone else keeps their current rates
    closing tax-loopholes does not increase anyone's tax rate.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •