View Poll Results: Is the world becoming overpopulated? Should we do something about it?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • The world is becoming overpopulated; we should take action, by imposing birth limits

    13 35.14%
  • The world is becoming overpopulated; we should impose birth limits and not allow immigrants

    2 5.41%
  • The world is becoming overpopulated, but we should not take action; let things work themselves out

    9 24.32%
  • I do not think the world is becoming overpopulated; this is just a myth

    13 35.14%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 64

Thread: Overpopulation and Economy

  1. #1
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Overpopulation and Economy

    Is the world becoming overpopulated? Should we do something about it? Is overpopulation affecting the economy? Please choose the option that is most similar to your opinion.

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,156

    Re: Overpopulation and Economy

    Most of Europe has negative population growth, aside from some Eastern nations; those that don't have a negative PG, its only because of immigration. The USA isn't far from having a birthrate that falls below replacement value; we would if it were not for immigrants having more children.

    The trend seems pretty well established; more developed nations experience lower birthrates, often falling below ZPG levels into the negative.

    The only places really in danger of serious overpopulation are the ones that are already poor and underdeveloped, pretty much.

    I can remember when the world's population was much lower than it is now; at that time, some people were saying that when it hit seven billion, we were screwed. We're there... and we're still here.

    Overhyped.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #3
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Overpopulation and Economy

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Is the world becoming overpopulated? Should we do something about it? Is overpopulation affecting the economy? Please choose the option that is most similar to your opinion.
    This is a very touchy subject, but one that I believe needs to be addressed at some point, preferably before it is too late. I realize many are preoccupied with other political debates, but I thought this might offer a nice diversion. I do believe that the world is overpopulated and that something needs to be done. I also believe that because there are limited resources on this earth, overpopulation is and will continue to cause lots of suffering around the world. While we cannot control other countries, we can certainly try to affect change here in the U.S. The U.S. is the third most populated country and is currently fighting against a recession. For industrialized countries, it also has the highest population growth at around 1% (which is a lot considering we have around 311,779,000 residents; Demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I have thought this problem repeatedly and I am think we are forced to choose between imposing a birth limit or limiting the amount of immigrants we allow in. However, I am open to other opinions as often times in these situations we are choosing between the greater of many evils.

  4. #4
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,035

    Re: Overpopulation and Economy

    we have the opposite of an overpopulation problem - as Goshin notes.


    Everyone who thinks the world has a problem with overpopulation needs to purchase and read PJ O'Rourkes' "All the Trouble in the World". He will tell you to your face how wrong you are, but at least he will make you laugh while doing it.

  5. #5
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,877

    Re: Overpopulation and Economy

    I think we do have an population problem.... id go for a world birth-limit instead of just our country.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Overpopulation and Economy

    These threads always depress me.

  7. #7
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Overpopulation and Economy

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    I think we do have an population problem.... id go for a world birth-limit instead of just our country.
    I don't see the U.S. being able to force that issue (would definitely be harder than trying to push it here). Why the whole world, but not just our back yard?

  8. #8
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Overpopulation and Economy

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    we have the opposite of an overpopulation problem - as Goshin notes.


    Everyone who thinks the world has a problem with overpopulation needs to purchase and read PJ O'Rourkes' "All the Trouble in the World". He will tell you to your face how wrong you are, but at least he will make you laugh while doing it.
    what is that quote I am thinking of .... I think it goes "what begins in laughter, ends in tears". You should look at the link I posted above

  9. #9
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Overpopulation and Economy

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Most of Europe has negative population growth, aside from some Eastern nations; those that don't have a negative PG, its only because of immigration. The USA isn't far from having a birthrate that falls below replacement value; we would if it were not for immigrants having more children.

    The trend seems pretty well established; more developed nations experience lower birthrates, often falling below ZPG levels into the negative.

    The only places really in danger of serious overpopulation are the ones that are already poor and underdeveloped, pretty much.

    I can remember when the world's population was much lower than it is now; at that time, some people were saying that when it hit seven billion, we were screwed. We're there... and we're still here.

    Overhyped.
    Not according to what I read, can you post your source please?

  10. #10
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Overpopulation and Economy

    Depends on how you look at it. In terms of supporting our current speed, we have an underpopulation problem. In terms of exhausting the world's resources, we're already overpopulated.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •