View Poll Results: Is the world becoming overpopulated? Should we do something about it?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • The world is becoming overpopulated; we should take action, by imposing birth limits

    13 35.14%
  • The world is becoming overpopulated; we should impose birth limits and not allow immigrants

    2 5.41%
  • The world is becoming overpopulated, but we should not take action; let things work themselves out

    9 24.32%
  • I do not think the world is becoming overpopulated; this is just a myth

    13 35.14%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 64

Thread: Overpopulation and Economy

  1. #21
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Overpopulation and Economy

    The world is not overpopulated; the average human lives a far better lifestyle today than at any time in the past, despite the fact that there are 7 billion of us now. This is because technology has improved much, much faster than population has increased...and there is good reason to believe that this trend will continue into the foreseeable future.

    With that said, there are certain PARTS of the world that are overpopulated...Sub-Saharan Africa and (especially) South Asia. Draconian approaches like setting birth limits will not work, as China has demonstrated. Birth limits will lead to grotesque gender imbalances, human trafficking, and social instability. A better approach would be to help poorer countries improve their standard of living. Birth rates tend to decline as people become richer, because children become a financial liability rather than a financial asset.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #22
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,178

    Re: Overpopulation and Economy

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Not according to what I read, can you post your source please?


    Negative Population Growth

    Population decline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    According to 2002 reports by the United Nations Population Division[5] and the US Census Bureau,[6] population decline is occurring today in some regions. According to the UN, below-replacement fertility is expected in 75% of the developed world by the year 2050. The US Census Bureau notes that the 74 million people added to the world's population in 2002 were fewer than the high of 87 million people added in 1989–1990. The annual growth rate was 1.2 percent, down from the high of 2.2 percent in 1963-64.

    "Census Bureau projections show this slowdown in population growth continuing into the foreseeable future," stated the Bureau's brief on the findings. "Census Bureau projections suggest that the level of fertility in many countries will drop below replacement level before 2050... In 1990 the world's women, on average, were giving birth to 3.3 children over their lifetimes. By 2002 the average was 2.6, and by 2009, 2.5. This is marginally above the global replacement fertility of 2.33. This fall has been accompanied by a decline in the world's population growth rate and in the actual annual population increase.
    No Babies? - Declining Population in Europe - NYTimes.com

    Population decline - The Boston Globe

    With all the attention given to continuing strong growth in the world population, one thing might come as a surprise: Forty-three of the 193 nations around the world will register a decline in population by 2050.
    Howcome 1st world countries are having problems w/ underpopulation and 3rd world countries w/ overpopulation? « Bangladesh Problems « Digital bangladesh



    It would appear that technological advances and increasing general prosperity result in fewer babies being born. The problem should self-correct.... drastic measures are not needed.
    Last edited by Goshin; 07-18-11 at 10:05 PM.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #23
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Overpopulation and Economy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    The world is not overpopulated; the average human lives a far better lifestyle today than at any time in the past, despite the fact that there are 7 billion of us now. This is because technology has improved much, much faster than population has increased...and there is good reason to believe that this trend will continue into the foreseeable future.

    With that said, there are certain PARTS of the world that are overpopulated...Sub-Saharan Africa and (especially) South Asia. Draconian approaches like setting birth limits will not work, as China has demonstrated. Birth limits will lead to grotesque gender imbalances, human trafficking, and social instability. A better approach would be to help poorer countries improve their standard of living. Birth rates tend to decline as people become richer, because children become a financial liability rather than a financial asset.
    I disagree. The average human lives in poverty that those of us in first world nations can scarcely even imagine.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  4. #24
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Overpopulation and Economy

    The world is becoming overpopulated; we should impose birth limits and not allow immigrants
    How does banning immigration solve the alleged problem of global overpopulation, anyway? Are the immigrants coming from Mars?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #25
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Overpopulation and Economy

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    I disagree. The average human lives in poverty that those of us in first world nations can scarcely even imagine.
    The median global household income is about $7,000 (adjusted for purchasing power parity). That's poor by American standards, but it's hardly destitute. Besides, this line of thinking overlooks the fact that there has ALWAYS been poverty...but until recently, it was virtually universal. The average African lives better today than the average American/Briton did 200 years ago.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #26
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Overpopulation and Economy

    Quote Originally Posted by makkam View Post
    What is a negative population growth; more people die than are born on average? Have we really ever been at that stage?
    If it weren't for immigrants, yes our population would be falling.

    A number of European countries are already experiencing this, to their chagrin.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 07-18-11 at 10:20 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  7. #27
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Overpopulation and Economy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    How does banning immigration solve the alleged problem of global overpopulation, anyway? Are the immigrants coming from Mars?
    I laughed at this lmfao.

    I guess the implication was that the world is being overpopulated, therefore we should impose limits on immigration to keep overpopulation away from America?
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 07-18-11 at 10:21 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #28
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,804

    Re: Overpopulation and Economy

    Overpopulation is a relative concept. For the resources we are taking out of the planet, for the destruction we are doing to the planet, availability of clean, fresh water and food, no the planet will not be able to sustain population growth. It is a natural process and in the natural order of things it will right itself. Unfortunately the process has begun and there isn't a hell of a lot we are going to do about it. As the largest consumer nation on earth I don't know that we will feel the changes too terribly much for a while, but already droughts and floods are making food less available. Not to Americans, not yet. What we will see is large prices increases as a result of a plague of market speculation. Pollution and starvation, the poor man feels it first. History repeats itself. Or as a history professor of a class I was taking once said at the beginning of the semester, "History repeats itself, especially if you fail it."










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  9. #29
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Overpopulation and Economy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    The median global household income is about $7,000 (adjusted for purchasing power parity). That's poor by American standards, but it's hardly destitute. Besides, this line of thinking overlooks the fact that there has ALWAYS been poverty...but until recently, it was virtually universal. The average African lives better today than the average American/Briton did 200 years ago.
    Causes of Poverty

    Almost half the world — over 3 billion people — live on less than $2.50 a day.
    The GDP (Gross Domestic Product) of the 41 Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (567 million people) is less than the wealth of the world’s 7 richest people combined.
    Nearly a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names.
    Less than one per cent of what the world spent every year on weapons was needed to put every child into school by the year 2000 and yet it didn’t happen.
    1 billion children live in poverty (1 in 2 children in the world). 640 million live without adequate shelter, 400 million have no access to safe water, 270 million have no access to health services. 10.6 million died in 2003 before they reached the age of 5 (or roughly 29,000 children per day).
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  10. #30
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Overpopulation and Economy

    The world is, actually, becoming overpopulated. The overpopulation, however, is mostly limited to the truly poor countries. The more prosperous ones have better education and standard of living, and that tends to lead to smaller families. What will really bring down the birth rate is wealth and medicine. When families can expect all of their children to live to adulthood, realize how expensive it can be to raise children, and have access to birth control, birth rates will drop.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •