View Poll Results: Do we get out of debt by raising taxes, cutting tax breaks, AND cutting some spending

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. We must seriously tighten our belts.

    17 62.96%
  • No. (Alternate theory)

    10 37.04%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 109

Thread: The best way to fix our Economy?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-16 @ 07:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,441

    Re: The best way to fix our Economy?

    I continue to be amazed at how the giant pink elephant in the room, 'Defense' spending, is almost entirely invisible, not just on this board but every other board as well, to both parties' spin machines.

    The brie and chardonay Democrats and their fellow neo-liberal Republicans have done a very good job of steering the focus entirely onto programs that already had massive cuts imposed on them over the last 30 years, via bogus CPI index calculations, while the 'Defense' oligarchy keeps rolling right along, increasing every year.

    And, how is taxing the working poor more supposed to do any good??? Ridiculous 'fixes' appear to have mass appeal to the growing body of sociopaths the U.S. is producing, obviously. But, if that's your plan, simply quit indexing the personal deduction to inflation, even the hilariously low 'inflation' rates the government keeps lying about, to the benefit of both 'parties', and you can grind a lot more people into poverty. This would suit both parties' utterly clueless policy makers and certainly their loyal puppets.
    Last edited by Oberon; 07-17-11 at 09:24 AM.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The best way to fix our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    raising taxes is actually more likely to dig us deeper by lowering revenue via the mechanism of slowing growth. we would be better off through tax code simplification as per the Bowles-Simpson plan, or the House 2012 budget.

    and "some spending" doesn't need to be cut. lots of spending needs to be cut, and entitlements need to be restructured.
    That, I forgot to mention. I would cut that as well. Methinks we can't use just one or the other, but that we must tax and cut. Earmarks and pork spending needs to be cut. If the Republicans mean to cut, then they had better not spend foolishly; if they embody fiscal conservatism then they must embody fiscal conservatism.

    The unions need their backs "broken". Far too much money is being spent. On a John Stossel episode I saw that certain bus drivers make $100,000. Seriously.

  3. #23
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: The best way to fix our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I continue to be amazed at how the giant pink elephant in the room, 'Defense' spending, is almost entirely invisible, not just on this board but every other board as well, to both parties' spin machines.

    The brie and chardonay Democrats and their fellow neo-liberal Republicans have done a very good job of steering the focus entirely onto programs that already had massive cuts imposed on them over the last 30 years, via bogus CPI index calculations, while the 'Defense' oligarchy keeps rolling right along, increasing every year.

    And, how is taxing the working poor more supposed to do any good??? Ridiculous 'fixes' appear to have mass appeal to the growing body of sociopaths the U.S. is producing, obviously. But, if that's your plan, simply quit indexing the personal deduction to inflation, even the hilariously low 'inflation' rates the government keeps lying about, to the benefit of both 'parties', and you can grind a lot more people into poverty. This would suit both parties' utterly clueless policy makers and certainly their loyal puppets.
    I couldn't agree more! Our military is the most wasteful sink of taxpayers money of any US program. We spend almost as much on our military as the rest of the world combined and neither party is talking about the massive military spending cuts that are needed.

    IMO, it is going to take the people forcing the issue.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #24
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: The best way to fix our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by SlackMaster View Post
    I do agree that all three measures are needed.

    I think the Republicans know this, but they can't raise taxes because they've all signed Norquist's pledge. By doing so they've painted themselves into a corner. They can't do what's right for the country because they'll receive too much political heat from it.
    I agree ... Something's not right when the decision makers of our country can't take necessary actions to help our country.

  5. #25
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: The best way to fix our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    Yes we need to give a bloated ever growing ever reaching Massive Liberal Nanny State Government...........More of our Money........that should work.......
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Lol ... what's with this "Nanny" stuff? What's it supposed to mean? Did you have a nanny that you really didn't like as a child or something? Lol!

  6. #26
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The best way to fix our Economy?

    We don't have a tax problem, we have a spending problem. Given our lack luster and extended lag in growth, low consumer confidence added to a housing market still in a coma and unemployment at 9.2% and closer to around 15-16% in actuality, as well as a 62 Trillion dollar obligated debt - we don't have a tax problem we have a spending problem, we have a debt problem stemmed from the spending problem.

    Keep taxes low, close the loop holes and cut the spending across the board. Cut the corporate tax and give the private sector a reason to start hiring and revenue will increase.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #27
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,073

    Re: The best way to fix our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    I agree ... Something's not right when the decision makers of our country can't take necessary actions to help our country.
    supposedly we live in a free society. supposedly in this free, representative society, the people are sovereign. supposedly, when the people are sovereign, the government is their servant.

    except our "servant" seems to think that we have given him the right to tell us to purchase only curly lightbulbs; our "servant" appears to assume we have delegated to him the right to negate what contracts we wish to make, our "servant" claims that he has the right to punish us if our healthcare plans do not meet with his approval. Our Servant tells us what kinds of showerheads we may or may not use, and often whether or not our dinner meets with his approval.

    Servant My A--; these people think they are Masters.

  8. #28
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: The best way to fix our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    We don't have a tax problem, we have a spending problem. Given our lack luster and extended lag in growth, low consumer confidence added to a housing market still in a coma and unemployment at 9.2% and closer to around 15-16% in actuality, as well as a 62 Trillion dollar obligated debt - we don't have a tax problem we have a spending problem, we have a debt problem stemmed from the spending problem.

    Keep taxes low, close the loop holes and cut the spending across the board. Cut the corporate tax and give the private sector a reason to start hiring and revenue will increase.
    As one of the last few true believers dude, you need the tee shirt to go with it! (see it at the link below)

    STILL WAITING TO GET TRICKLED DOWN ON T-SHIRT from Zazzle.com
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #29
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The best way to fix our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    As one of the last few true believers dude, you need the tee shirt to go with it! (see it at the link below)

    STILL WAITING TO GET TRICKLED DOWN ON T-SHIRT from Zazzle.com
    Hardly ... I know you'd wish that to be true, but you're not.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rassmussen Polls
    July 15, 2011

    The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that just 10% of Likely Voters claim to be both fiscal and social liberals. A majority (61%), however, are some other combination. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

    These findings show virtually no change from early May.

    Forty-four percent (44%) of voters classify themselves as conservative on fiscal issues such as taxes, government spending and business regulation. Nearly as many (40%) view themselves as moderate on these issues, while 12% feel they are fiscal liberals.
    29% Are Conservative on Fiscal and Social Issues, 10% Liberal on Both - Rasmussen Reports™


    Keep wishing.... maybe one day it'll be true.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #30
    Professor
    ElCid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-11 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,784
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: The best way to fix our Economy?

    Seriously.................let's crash the Government. Let's see what happens. It can't get any worse than it is, and even IF it does, who cares? Everything is a horrible mess, anyway. Crash the Government, and 'roll with the flow', so to speak.
    NOTICE: I am not a troll, because what I write I believe, and I have no intention of derailing threads or manipulating human nature. I am not a terrorist, because I do not endorse the killing of innocent people, and I am not here to promote violence. I AM HERE ONLY TO EXPRESS MY PERSONAL OPINION AND ENJOY LIVELY DISCUSSION.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •