View Poll Results: Do sources truly matter when forum debating?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    41 80.39%
  • No

    10 19.61%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 130

Thread: Does posting sources while debating matter?

  1. #31
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I think it's a fair question. Based on my years debating, whenever a user posts sources, the other users are usually never persuaded. It may persuade a few viewers, but typically, if you watch closely, you'll discern a general pattern when a source is posted. It's either ignored entirely, questioned, or countered with another source until both users get frustrated.

    I'm currently amassing a written notebook of multiple credible sources, organized by issues(general arguments and counters are listed as well).

    Basically, is it worth it if it virtually never persuades the opponent?
    As others have said, yes and no. It is good to know what you're talking about, but only things that are a question of fact can be settled completely by a source. If all one had to do was look up a source, and the debate would be ended, there would be no reason for debate. In todays world, we can find a source that says anything, and we see that here. But sources mean far less in the debate, nearly any debate, than logic. They are good to have, to back up your point, showing that someone in the know agrees, but that is largely all it is. Nearly anyone can find a decent source to say exactly the opposite on many topics.
    Last edited by Boo Radley; 07-16-11 at 10:32 PM.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Unfortunately, some members here feel that they are soooo smart, sooo important, and sooo beyond fault, that they don't need to post evidence for their claims.

    Ever.

    And someone who doubts their claims, especially cause they refuse to post evidence? Well, those folks are just jealous & ignorant.


  3. #33
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    You see, the problem is that humans evolved to believe what we were told to believe. It is a survival mechanism. At one time, people were burned at the stake for heresy, after all. Before that, it was dangerous to say that Leader Og did not actually speak for the Sun God. The less gullible have been weeded out of the gene pool.

    So, we are programmed to believe what we want to believe regardless of facts and logic.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #34
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    I take my wife with me. She is getting better. She has cought a big walleye in our river.
    Note in China and here the fish may not last a life time if people don't change their behavior.
    aren't our rivers getting cleaner? I remember what the situation was in Cleveland when I was a HS kid-the river would catch on fire. The ohio river is far better now. Drunks who fall into that river die of drowning. 30 years ago it was poisoning that killed them!



  5. #35
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Unfortunately, some members here feel that they are soooo smart, sooo important, and sooo beyond fault, that they don't need to post evidence for their claims.

    Ever.

    And someone who doubts their claims, especially cause they refuse to post evidence? Well, those folks are just jealous & ignorant.

    There are also those who post links with no idea what they actually say.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    aren't our rivers getting cleaner? I remember what the situation was in Cleveland when I was a HS kid-the river would catch on fire. The ohio river is far better now. Drunks who fall into that river die of drowning. 30 years ago it was poisoning that killed them!
    really, what's this got to do with the OP?

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    There are also those who post links with no idea what they actually say.
    can't stand those people.

    one should have the integrity to read the links they post, before posting them.

  8. #38
    Educator DemonMyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Seattle WA.
    Last Seen
    02-11-13 @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    727

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    If you want people to take you seriously then you better post sources.. Otherwise you will seem be seen as being full of it..

  9. #39
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    You see, the problem is that humans evolved to believe what we were told to believe. It is a survival mechanism. At one time, people were burned at the stake for heresy, after all. Before that, it was dangerous to say that Leader Og did not actually speak for the Sun God. The less gullible have been weeded out of the gene pool.

    So, we are programmed to believe what we want to believe regardless of facts and logic.
    It might be a distinct survival mechanism or part of a larger one. But, is being taught to not be a believer employing the same survival mechanism. I don’t know if my lack of beliefs were taught or genetic. For a normal intellect do beliefs take less work? I think so. The fewer beliefs you have the more often you’re required to figure something out.

    This is a bit off topic, sorrry. Maybe it needs a new thread.
    Last edited by OhIsee.Then; 07-16-11 at 11:48 PM. Reason: adddition

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonMyst View Post
    If you want people to take you seriously then you better post sources.. Otherwise you will seem be seen as being full of it..
    hear hear!!!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •