View Poll Results: Do sources truly matter when forum debating?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    41 80.39%
  • No

    10 19.61%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 130

Thread: Does posting sources while debating matter?

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    As a social conservative, you will be best off just mindlessly repeating talking points or posting junk science from discredited sources and claiming they are just as viable as any other source.
    Moderator's Warning:
    Does posting sources while debating matter?Stop. No reason for this.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #12
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Last I checked, the national system for highschool debate competitions had Lincoln-Douglas and Team-Debate. Lincoln-Douglas is a discussion of ethics, morals and philosophy; things like 'right to privacy', 'free speech' and other topics not likely to be as strongly supported by citations as by reasoning; a Lincoln-Douglas debater (solo) would bring perhaps a couple magazines (US News, Newsweek, etc). Team-Debate (remember, this was before computers) was two people who argued as a team about hard issues with stats and legal reference; they carried 2-5 suitcases of reference material to the debate competition.
    I find that citations are only necessary when the other person claims that I have no idea what I'm talking about, or if my 'opponent' has no idea what they are talking about.
    I agree...

    Perhaps your extreme stance, TheDemSocialist, is such that you are constantly in the position of being accused of having no idea or believing that your 'opponent' has no idea.
    Like when?
    When talking about what socialism is?
    When people ask me to cite a source i do.
    When i cite sources i do..
    Can you provide a more specific example with this?


  3. #13
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Sources are very important. If you cannot source your claims, then they are absolutely unaccepted. If you source your claims, then others have to counter your sources or accept them. While countering sources is the most common thing to happen(usually poorly done), it does happen surprisingly often that when providing sources, the other person is forced to concede the point.

    A person unwilling to provide sources, they are doing a poor job of debating.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #14
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,373

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    I agree...


    Like when?
    When talking about what socialism is?
    When people ask me to cite a source i do.
    When i cite sources i do..
    Can you provide a more specific example with this?
    My statement is not so personal. I meant that people in extreme positions might often be accused of not knowing what they are talking about, and people in extreme positions might also commonly presume that others have no clue (regarding there own position or where you are coming from). Thus, citations become of paramount importance. When two people can see each other's position, citations become less important. It's like, if two people are out of 'punting range', then citations may become important so that there is at least some communication - but it's not the best form of communication, as an opponent so far away is likely to take it as a shallow attempt to discredit instead of a desperate attempt to reach.


    ps. Feel free to use PM, it seems stuff in visitors messeges does not delete completely and I'd rather that not get cluttered.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 07-16-11 at 04:06 AM.

  5. #15
    Advisor BamaBrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    510
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    I think it depends. I dont really "debate" to change anyones mind about anything, people are going to think what they think. I mostly post here to learn. To find out what others think, give my opinion and talk about stuff. For me, I dont really feel the need to post sources for these reasons:

    1. if you do post a source, someone who disagrees is always going to say... oh thats not a credible source.
    2. no matter what you post, there is always something else out there that someone else posts that says the opposite of what you are trying to say. In other words you can find a source for pretty much anything and everything you want to post that will support your point of view. (how many charts and graphs have we seen reguarding how much of our govt money actually goes to ssi and medicare and what cuts would do for us....)
    3. I dont really want to know all of the time what..this source or that source thinks... I want to know what my fellow DPers think and feel.

  6. #16
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,891

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I think it's a fair question. Based on my years debating, whenever a user posts sources, the other users are usually never persuaded. It may persuade a few viewers, but typically, if you watch closely, you'll discern a general pattern when a source is posted. It's either ignored entirely, questioned, or countered with another source until both users get frustrated.

    I'm currently amassing a written notebook of multiple credible sources, organized by issues(general arguments and counters are listed as well).

    Basically, is it worth it if it virtually never persuades the opponent?
    IMO if you make a factual claim and are asked to cite your source it certainly strengthens your argument to do so, so long as your source is credible. To some though, no source is credible; Not even the New England Journal of Medicine. Do not waste your time on these people.

    However, the failure to properly present an arguments reasoning then stating "Read this and you'll understand I am right" is NOT the same thing. This is a debate forum and I don't have to do my opponents work for them. Also it is presumptuous to assume that 1. Your source is correct and 2. I would agree with whatever I read. Cite a source when ASKED where you got your claim/fact/statistic from, not so that you don't have to actually engage in a debate over the nuances of the issue.
    Last edited by Spartacus FPV; 07-16-11 at 01:24 PM.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-16 @ 07:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,441

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I think it's a fair question. Based on my years debating, whenever a user posts sources, the other users are usually never persuaded. It may persuade a few viewers, but typically, if you watch closely, you'll discern a general pattern when a source is posted. It's either ignored entirely, questioned, or countered with another source until both users get frustrated.

    I'm currently amassing a written notebook of multiple credible sources, organized by issues(general arguments and counters are listed as well).

    Basically, is it worth it if it virtually never persuades the opponent?
    It depends. Most political argument is just advocacy nonsense, anybody can play, and real facts are obscure or entirely non-existent, since it's ideologically driven. Now, anybody can be a Two Minute Google Scholar on any topic whatsoever, which also renders actual discussion impossible in most threads; most are here to push agendas, not engage in real debate or discussion.

    Demanding 'links' is just another bogus delaying tactic; if you think somebody is a liar, and there are lots of them these days, why are you attempting to have a rational debate with them in the first place? It's more than pointless.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Not every thread is a debate as such. If it is, in which two or more members are sure that they're right and the other guy is wrong, then no number of links, no overwhelming fact, will convince either that they are wrong. Of course, there will be others reading for whom the link will add valuable information.

    If it is a discussion, give and take, then a credible source can add a lot to the thread.

    There is a lot of information on the web. Some of it is even true.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #19
    Professor
    sookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In my own world.
    Last Seen
    06-27-17 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,838

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    People are too stupid to filter through all the information that our age brings. For example, I participated on a thread about Fox News claiming that scientists have to alter their data in order to serve their agenda. They cited that scientists were adding .3 mm of water to their results, not really caring about the responses the scientists had in explaining their actions. And so the ignorant people that they were, started spewing out that scientists have to fake data in order to get the results that they want.

    But if people could actually do sixth grade math, they would come to the conclusion that they were adding less than a trillionth of a percent of volume.

    This is evidence of what I said earlier. Our system creates people that are uneducated but they think they are educated. It strengthens the position of power that our government has, because the people are too dumb to discover their true actions. The whole time, the dumb ass populace think they know what they are talking about.

    So no, it doesn't matter. People are too dumb.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by sookster View Post
    People are too stupid to filter through all the information that our age brings. For example, I participated on a thread about Fox News claiming that scientists have to alter their data in order to serve their agenda. They cited that scientists were adding .3 mm of water to their results, not really caring about the responses the scientists had in explaining their actions. And so the ignorant people that they were, started spewing out that scientists have to fake data in order to get the results that they want.

    But if people could actually do sixth grade math, they would come to the conclusion that they were adding less than a trillionth of a percent of volume.

    This is evidence of what I said earlier. Our system creates people that are uneducated but they think they are educated. It strengthens the position of power that our government has, because the people are too dumb to discover their true actions. The whole time, the dumb ass populace think they know what they are talking about.

    So no, it doesn't matter. People are too dumb.
    He who knows not, and knows that he knows not, is a child. Teach him.

    He who knows, and knows not that he knows , is asleep. Wake him.

    He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool. Shun him.

    He who knows, and knows that he knows, is wise. Follow him.

    I think you're describing people in that third category.

    You can usually tell who they are, as they are the most sure that everyone else is wrong, and the loudest about their opinion.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •