View Poll Results: Do sources truly matter when forum debating?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    41 80.39%
  • No

    10 19.61%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 130

Thread: Does posting sources while debating matter?

  1. #111
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:10 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,840

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    what I hate is when you give an opinion and then some douchebag wets themself and squeals for you to prove it.
    Perhaps the fault lies in the douchebag offering the 'opinion' disguised in the Halloween costume as an allegation of fact?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #112
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    And was that a worthy bargain in your opinion? Was it an acceptable price to pay to cut taxes on the wealthy?

    hard to say. the rich were paying way too much of their income in taxes
    but those who don't pay taxes have no reason to keep government spending down

    Bush ran on-among other things-cutting taxes. His big mistake was increasing spending

    we have way too much government. And until government proves it can go on a diet no one should even think about raising taxes-especially on those who still pay too much

    using the tax system as a sword against all the perceived unfairness in society is a really bad idea



  3. #113
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:10 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,840

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Turtle - obviously you can form any opinion you want to and it certainly is not unusual for all of us to carefully pick and choose from the plate as to what we will eat and what we will reject. However, for two humble two cents, it is more than a bit hypocritical for anyone to accept the tax cuts for the rich and rail against the 47% at the same time when they are intelligent enough to know how the entire bargain was crafted in the first place.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #114
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    So the conclusion is to completely throw in the towel and just say this is all about what you believe because you want to believe it?

    No thanks. That is NOT debate.

    When somebody makes an allegation of a fact - and they fail to back it up - everyone would insist that the penalty be ridicule and shame. But that never happens because the fellow true believers look the other way and pretend it did not happen.

    Honestly people, there are some of the leading posters here who would not get pass day one in an actual college debate situation.
    What happens on these forums is not typically really "debate" anyway. It's more of a discussion, sometimes an argument, now and again a rant, sometimes a display of abject ignorance, but hardly ever is it really a debate in which there is a "winner" and a "loser."
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #115
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickt View Post
    I tend to agree. Whenever someone says, "It's common knowledge...," or "Everyone knows...." what follows is usually nonsense. If you are going to make an assertion such as "research shows" then I think a citation is incumbent.
    Called the assuming things not settled fallacy.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Interesting...

    I just finished my first Word Document argument today. The fun part is that now I can repost it or massive segments elsewhere to spread my highly credible and substantial argument across the subforums. Then, I can add to it and, with more research and comments from other members, make it bigger and better. Hopefully, I'll add in counter-arguments to bolster it also. It's almost becoming a hobby to me, this debating business.
    I admire you passion.

    I confess, when I started doing it, it was simply because I was tired of re-typing the same old well sourced arguments for new debaters who were just going to ignore everything you say anyway.

    I would post a pre-made post in good faith, and how they react to it tells me everything I need to know about what to expect from them in the future.

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    I'm pretty sure cites don't matter that much, as evidenced in that gun debate thread; it was an experiment directly related to this issue.

    From now on I'm not using cites, unless I have to prove an event did indeed happen. I'm returning to my general philosophical discussion.
    Last edited by Wake; 08-01-11 at 12:04 AM.

  8. #118
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I'm pretty sure cites don't matter that much, as evidenced in that gun debate thread; it was an experiment directly related to this issue.

    From now on I'm not using cites, unless I have to prove an event did indeed happen. From now on I'm returning to my general philosophical discussion.
    It wasn't that your sources didn't matter, it was how you used them and how you interpreted them. I try to explain this earlier.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I'm pretty sure cites don't matter that much, as evidenced in that gun debate thread; it was an experiment directly related to this issue.

    From now on I'm not using cites, unless I have to prove an event did indeed happen. I'm returning to my general philosophical discussion.
    Well, to offer friendly, well intended criticism: you didn't source a damn thing you said. I for one didn't read it simply for that reason. If you don't post sources, the generally whatever you say can be easily dismissed as it has no force of authority.

    I saw like 4 OPs and said '**** that', and left the thread. To many words and no source material. Even if I agree with your position, I can't take your side because your argument was to easily defeated.
    Last edited by Jerry; 08-01-11 at 12:34 AM.

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does posting sources while debating matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    what I hate is when you give an opinion and then some douchebag wets themself and squeals for you to prove it.
    And/or when they read into your post a whole mess of **** that never crossed your mind, let alone said, and then demand that you prove those claims which you ever made.

    It's all just trolling. This site is 99% trolling.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •