Page 58 of 62 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 618

Thread: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

  1. #571
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    While I agree that bailouts for the rich are traps, if you follow my link, you will see that there are some traps for welfare on the poor as well. As far as I know the only welfare that is limited to five years is cash payouts (Welfare clock running out / As 5-year limit on benefits approaches, poor parents need financial help despite finding new jobs - SFGate), and not food stamps, healthcare and subsidized housing. I could be wrong though, send me a link if I am.
    Your link contradicts what you just said.

    It says that these recipients are now working and soon, will no longer be on welfare. wrt

    health care - even the middle class is going broke over medical bills. 60% of all bankruptcies were due to medical bills and the majority were people who had insurance and a middle class income

    food stamps - a giveaway to Factory Farming

    housing - the subsidies have decreased, not increased, a sign that the dreaded "dependency" is just another rightwing myth

    Your argument is flimsy. All the evidence points to the opposite of what you're saying
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #572
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    I totally agree that kicking people off welfare does not encourage them to stay on welfare, lol! Do you think I was suggesting otherwise? I am saying that putting rewards into place for the poor (instead of punishments) for earning more money would encourage them to move up the ladder.
    That has already been done and it is working, as demonstrated by the article that you posted. I have no idea where you're getting this idea that the social safety net is increasing dependency in the poor. If you have any facts that support your claim, I'd like to see them.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #573
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,539

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Umm .. have you ever heard of shift work?
    LOL, I think its more likely hs kid on summer break



  4. #574
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Your link contradicts what you just said.

    It says that these recipients are now working and soon, will no longer be on welfare. wrt

    health care - even the middle class is going broke over medical bills. 60% of all bankruptcies were due to medical bills and the majority were people who had insurance and a middle class income

    food stamps - a giveaway to Factory Farming

    housing - the subsidies have decreased, not increased, a sign that the dreaded "dependency" is just another rightwing myth

    Your argument is flimsy. All the evidence points to the opposite of what you're saying
    Why are you turning on me sangha. The scenario I gave was an example of what I think is wrong with the system, not what I think is right. I don't like this disconnect we're having right now. perhaps I am not explaining myself clearly?

  5. #575
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    That has already been done and it is working, as demonstrated by the article that you posted. I have no idea where you're getting this idea that the social safety net is increasing dependency in the poor. If you have any facts that support your claim, I'd like to see them.
    I am all for social safety nets .. however I think our current safety nets could be better, I am arguing for the same thing you are. What do I need to do to convince of it? What did I say wrong, jeez!!!!!

  6. #576
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    So your ideal situation would be to have our poorest citizens poorer ... like those of your beloved "south america, east asia or sub saharan africa" ... ? I am trying to understand what moral code would support poverty, no matter how severe, while only a handful of people own the world's wealth. Please give me a moral argument that would support that ... I've been waiting to hear one from you for a while now.
    A moral code from the Turtledude? LOL!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #577
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    A quick technical note ... why do your (and some other people's) posts take up so much writing space on the forum, such as this one above which contains one 2 small quotes one line of content and around 9 or 10 blank lines? I am new to the forum so this may sound like a silly question, but my posts do not take up that much space. Am I missing something?
    Some here seem to feel that having bigger spaces and numbering their personal opinions lends credibility to their posts in lieu of actual documentation to back them up.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #578
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Some here seem to feel that having bigger spaces and numbering their personal opinions lends credibility to their posts in lieu of actual documentation to back them up.
    Like your personal opinions on the wealthy, rich and spreading the wealth around? Good point.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #579
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    That has already been done and it is working, as demonstrated by the article that you posted. I have no idea where you're getting this idea that the social safety net is increasing dependency in the poor. If you have any facts that support your claim, I'd like to see them.
    My OP (the link) describes how (to the best of my knowledge) the system encourages the poor to stay on certain government safety nets (not necessarily cash payouts) due to poorly chosen cut-offs (meaning at a specific point, welfare is cut-off, which is not O.K. since they are then not making enough to pay for all of their healthcare bills etc., it leaves them hanging thus discouraging them from making more money). This is my understanding of how it currently works, I outlined a scenario in my original post. If you have different information I would be grateful if you shared it with me.

  10. #580
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Why are you turning on me sangha. The scenario I gave was an example of what I think is wrong with the system, not what I think is right. I don't like this disconnect we're having right now. perhaps I am not explaining myself clearly?
    Turning? I've been 100% civil to you.

    I'm just letting you know the facts. I agree that there is a disconnect, but that's because I just don't see how the facts you have posted support the conclusion you have drawn, and so I have asked you for more info. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be done?

    So i'll repeat my point, if these people are working after having received welfare, as the article you linked to says, how is that a sign of increasing dependency when these people no longer depend on cash payments from the govt?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 58 of 62 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •