Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 618

Thread: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

  1. #541
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    really? yet some of your confederates claim those who pay no income taxes (47% of the USA) are poor
    who here said that ALL 47% of Americans who don't pay income taxes, are poor?

    just another Con strawman.

  2. #542
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    really? yet some of your confederates claim those who pay no income taxes (47% of the USA) are poor
    A quick technical note ... why do your (and some other people's) posts take up so much writing space on the forum, such as this one above which contains one 2 small quotes one line of content and around 9 or 10 blank lines? I am new to the forum so this may sound like a silly question, but my posts do not take up that much space. Am I missing something?

  3. #543
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    So your ideal situation would be to have our poorest citizens poorer ... like those of your beloved "south america, east asia or sub saharan africa" ... ? I am trying to understand what moral code would support poverty, no matter how severe, while only a handful of people own the world's wealth. Please give me a moral argument that would support that ... I've been waiting to hear one from you for a while now.

    I will try to explain this to you once more since you are a newbie and apparently have missed my most recent 10=15 posts on this issue where I explain my point-a point no one has ever even tried to rebut

    right now we have a problem. Most of America is not charged with paying federal income taxes in a significant amount. the top 5% pay more than the rest of the country combined. 47% pay no income tax and about 60% get more directly from the government than they actually pay.

    Right now politicians win elections by

    a) promising the many more and more spending, benefits, government services

    b) telling the many that they won't have to pay higher federal income taxes (GOP) or only that the rich will (Dems)

    This ploy works because most of the voters don't see a connection between more spending and having to pay for it. Its like giving a bunch of teenage mall rates a credit card in return for their love and then telling some other guy he has to pay the bills. There is nothing to restrain the kids from running up the debt. right now there is no real reason for the majority of voters to NOT vote for the big spending politicians--the voters get more stuff and they aren't tasked with paying for it

    that is a main reason why we have runaway debt and a massively expanding federal government

    the only way to stop this is to either have the courts actually roll back the new deal precedents or to have a tax system that reminds all the voters that if they want more spending THEY (and not the top 2 percent) will have to pay for it



  4. #544
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    who here said that ALL 47% of Americans who don't pay income taxes, are poor?

    just another Con strawman.

    spend some of the time you spend machine gunning posts and look around plenty have said that those 47% can afford no more taxes and have no disposable income



  5. #545
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    So your ideal situation would be to have our poorest citizens poorer ... like those of your beloved "south america, east asia or sub saharan africa" ... ? I am trying to understand what moral code would support poverty, no matter how severe, while only a handful of people own the world's wealth. Please give me a moral argument that would support that ... I've been waiting to hear one from you for a while now.
    NOpe, if the middle class and lower were not seduced by the government tit, I suspect far less would wallow in squalor and a lack of ambition. If you subsidize something you increase it and we subsidize dependence



  6. #546
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:39 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,026

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Musicadventurer .. Turtle posted this to you

    I will try to explain this to you once more since you are a newbie and apparently have missed my most recent 10=15 posts on this issue where I explain my point-a point no one has ever even tried to rebut
    All of Turtle's points have been rebutted to death over and over and over again in thread after thread after thread no matter what the actual subject of that thread is.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #547
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    spend some of the time you spend machine gunning posts and look around plenty have said that those 47% can afford no more taxes and have no disposable income
    just because you can't afford to pay more in taxes, does not make you poor.

    this is just your silly Con strawman.

  8. #548
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    NOpe, if the middle class and lower were not seduced by the government tit, I suspect far less would wallow in squalor and a lack of ambition. If you subsidize something you increase it and we subsidize dependence
    yes, with corporate welfare, tax-loopholes, and useless subsidies.

  9. #549
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the only way to stop this is to either have the courts actually roll back the new deal precedents or to have a tax system that reminds all the voters that if they want more spending THEY (and not the top 2 percent) will have to pay for it
    Somehow, I sense that this is not the only way to cut out useless spending. 1st off, we need to identify what we consider useless spending (and I think this is the crux of the issue). So, according to you, what areas need less funding? Do any areas need more?

  10. #550
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    NOpe, if the middle class and lower were not seduced by the government tit, I suspect far less would wallow in squalor and a lack of ambition. If you subsidize something you increase it and we subsidize dependence
    Thanks TD, what ever you did to diminish that technical issue with taking up too much space on posts worked. Ooops, spoke too soon (this is an edit to my OP), its back again .. what up with that?
    Last edited by MusicAdventurer; 07-19-11 at 09:42 PM.

Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •