Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 618

Thread: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

  1. #471
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Wrong again. They do not pay taxes in proportion to their income
    You switched arguements. Which are you going to argue? That they don't pay the majority of taxes or that they don't pay the highest percentage of their income?

  2. #472
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    You switched arguements. Which are you going to argue? That they don't pay the majority of taxes or that they don't pay the highest percentage of their income?
    I didn't switch anything. Which is why you won't quote me to show that I've switched.

    Which are you going to argue? That they pay the majority of taxes or that they pay the highest percentage of their income?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #473
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180
    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Your subjective opinion. Sake of argument, I say no they do not

    More like another example of how the wealthy steal from the working class.

    your sweeping generalization reveals your flagrant class-based bias.
    My niece likes to engage in this type of behavior, repeating everything I say.

  4. #474
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    My niece likes to engage in this type of behavior, repeating everything I say.
    Except I didn't repeat what you said
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #475
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The burden is on the people, who are soveriegn. They decide how our tax moneys are to be spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    reality seems to be absent from that point
    People telling the government what to do? I can see how that wouldn't compute for you.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #476
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I didn't switch anything. Which is why you won't quote me to show that I've switched.

    Which are you going to argue? That they pay the majority of taxes or that they pay the highest percentage of their income?
    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    They have most of the wealth, and they want it all.

    And they don't pay a majority of taxes
    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Wrong again. They do not pay taxes in proportion to their income
    They do pay a majority of the taxes. As a proportion? Maybe if you are including all taxes.

  7. #477
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    another one of the 100 or so lies you have posted

    the top 2 percent are paying more income tax than any other group of the similar number of people so you are completely totally and thoroughly dishonest

    and your juvenile attempts to copy my posts and respam them is childish
    TurtleDude, I am not sure you are understanding the concept. Let me give you an example ...

    lets say person A made $100 per week and person B made $10,000 per week.

    Now lets suppose that a real flat tax existed and it was 25% of total income.

    That would mean person A would pay $25 and person B would pay $2,500

    While person B is paying a much greater amount than person A ($2,475 more), they are still paying the same percent of their money

    Additionally, person A is actually hurting more than person B as he/she is only left with $75 and person A is left with $7,500. Because expenses don't magically take into account your income level, person A is loosing much more by giving 25% (i.e. $25) and person B hardly notices the 25% that they pay out.

    Do you understand what I am saying? What this means is that your argument that the top 2% is paying way more than any other similar numbered group of people somehow is not "fair" ... is preposterous, as I just outlined above ... those 2% barely feel the taxes they have to pay, its like the taxes do not exist relatively speaking. Hope this helps.

  8. #478
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,507

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Are you seriously arguing that China has a free market economy??
    You're dodging. Stop. This directly addresses your post
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1059662383
    Quote Originally Posted by sangha
    Yes, I would like a specific example of when a free market economy has lifted people out of poverty.
    Answered:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy...ublic_of_China
    In the modern era, China's influence in the world economy was minimal until the late 1980s. At that time, economic reforms initiated after 1978 began to generate significant and steady growth in investment, consumption and standards of living. China now participates extensively in the world market and private sector companies play a major role in the economy. Since 1978 hundreds of millions have been lifted out of poverty: According to China's official statistics, the poverty rate fell from 53% in 1981[10] to 2.5% in 2005. However, in 2006, 10.8% of people still lived on less than $1 a day (purchasing power parity-adjusted).[11] The infant mortality rate fell by 39.5% between 1990 and 2005,[12] and maternal mortality by 41.1%.[13] Access to telephones during the period rose more than 94-fold, to 57.1%.[14]

    In the 1949 revolution, China's economic system was officially made into a communist system. Since the wide-ranging reforms of the 1980s and afterwards, many scholars assert that China can be defined as one of the leading examples of state capitalism today.[15][16]
    China was centrally planned (under communism of course) and was stagnant for decades.
    They added capitalism to their markets and it EXPLODED, taking their poverty rate from 53% to 2.5%. Freedom good eh?

    Of course that's just one example. Freedoms in the marketplace are prone to lifting entire populations out of poverty, improving quality of life, giving more people political and social power, etc.

  9. #479
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    TurtleDude, I am not sure you are understanding the concept. Let me give you an example ...

    lets say person A made $100 per week and person B made $10,000 per week.

    Now lets suppose that a real flat tax existed and it was 25% of total income.

    That would mean person A would pay $25 and person B would pay $2,500

    While person B is paying a much greater amount than person A ($2,475 more), they are still paying the same percent of their money

    Additionally, person A is actually hurting more than person B as he/she is only left with $75 and person A is left with $7,500. Because expenses don't magically take into account your income level, person A is loosing much more by giving 25% (i.e. $25) and person B hardly notices the 25% that they pay out.

    Do you understand what I am saying?
    What you're saying is well understood on both sides, but it doesn't prove anything other than things always seem unfair to the poor.

    The unfairness in your example is simply that some people make very little money and some people make a lot. The $100 a week guy is hurting to a similar degree even if tax rates are zero. Suffering and fairness is subjective and it's not going to go away (at all) by tweaking tax rates.

  10. #480
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Do You Want Higher Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    What you're saying is well understood on both sides, but it doesn't prove anything other than things always seem unfair to the poor.

    The unfairness in your example is simply that some people make very little money and some people make a lot. The $100 a week guy is hurting to a similar degree even if tax rates are zero. Suffering and fairness is subjective and it's not going to go away (at all) by tweaking tax rates.

    A part of what the other poster is describing is the marginal value of income.

Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •