View Poll Results: What should Obama do if debt ceiling is not raised?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pay interest on the bonds etc. cuts elsewhere; preserve US credit.

    8 29.63%
  • Pay things like SS, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.; preserve people.

    5 18.52%
  • Even % cuts across the board.

    4 14.81%
  • Pay everything he thinks needs to be paid regardless of the debt ceiling.

    6 22.22%
  • Ask all that voted against raising the debt ceiling to tell him what to not pay.

    0 0%
  • Ask congress to pass a law that directs him on what to pay.

    4 14.81%
  • Do nothing; wait for congress to do something when things are more obvious.

    0 0%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53

Thread: What should Obama do if debt ceiling is not raised?

  1. #21
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: What should Obama do if debt ceiling is not raised?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    no because he will be impeached.
    Impeachment would certainly be a good way to ensure his reelection. It's difficult for me to fathom anything that could help Obama more politically...he'd get to spend months telling the American people how he stood up to Congress to protect social security, Medicare, and soldiers' salaries, whereas the Republican leadership would inevitably be compared to Ken Starr and Newt Gingrich, having impeached (and ultimately acquitted) two Democratic presidents in a row.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 07-15-11 at 12:15 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #22
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: What should Obama do if debt ceiling is not raised?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The one I can see is somewhat accurate, though is of course slanted to what people want to show which is discretionary only rather than all spending which then shows that Medicare and Social Security 34.3% as opposed to 21.6% for the DOD and the War on Terror combined.

    Add in Welfare, Medicaid, Unemployment, and the other mandatory entitlement programs that we have on the books and that number shoots up to 52.7%.

    So its "accurate" but its also skewed to show the view point you want to show.
    Accurate but skewed? Hmmm... That appears to be an inane and illogical statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  3. #23
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: What should Obama do if debt ceiling is not raised?

    Not really.

    Lets take an analogy. I could say that Jason Kid is one of the top three greatest Three Point Shooter in NBA history based on the fact he's #3 all time in made three pointers. However, the fact I choose to use Three Pointers made instead of Three Pointers is because that information is skewed in such a way that it validates my argument. What makes Three Pointers made more important than Three Point Percentage? Nothing but opinion, and yet I focus only on the one that fits the argument I want to make because if I had brought up Three Pointer percentage I'd end up showing that Jason Kidd doesn't even fit in the top 30 let alone the top 3.

    Essentially, I am picking and choosing the criteria in which I'm going to judge the information to reach my conclussion based on what criteria is best likely to give me backing FOR my predeterimined conclussion.

    Your predispostion was on "CUT THE MILITARY". Entitlement programs by and large don't go into descritenary funding but the military does. As such, you choose a data criteria that is skewed in favor of the conclussion you want by choosing to go with that rather than total funding. This isn't unusual but is rather normal and both sides do it, just like when Republicans point to total spending. Its what people do, they look for stats and criteria and ways in which they can back up the conclussion they want. The wonderful thing about statistics is that generally there's always a way to look at the numbers to find a way for it to come out in that direction.

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,982

    Re: What should Obama do if debt ceiling is not raised?

    What should President Obama do? Nail the GOP to the cross - with very very dull nails and a very very hard cross unfinished and filled with splinters. And don't forget that crown of thorns either.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #25
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: What should Obama do if debt ceiling is not raised?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    Some of these options might end up being contested if he does it, if so assume that happens. He lets the various interpretations of various portions of the constitution be settled in the Supreme Court if necessary.
    (I need to decide if Iím going to take our money out of the market and put it in gold.)
    We should pay off the debt,make every cut we can, enact a cap on taxes so that the government doesn't go oh hey look more money lets spend it on something, enact restrictions on what the federal can and can not fund so that tax payers are not funding useless programs and enact a paygo(with the exception to a national emergency like a major disease outbreak, weather related disaster and etc or if war has been declared on us either by declaration or attack) with a rainy day fund set up for major disasters and wars.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #26
    Holy Crap!
    Red Crow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hawaii, USA
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 11:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,429

    Re: What should Obama do if debt ceiling is not raised?

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    You mean Joe Biden? "

    Stand up for Joe! He's a real stand up kinda guy!

    Hey... I know how stupid he is but...... it's impossible that he can be more stupid than Obama, nobody can be more stupid than him. Look what he has done to this country.

    He is forgetting that he is not the president of Kenya.
    Catch me if you can.

  7. #27
    User Bigkat80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    12-11-11 @ 06:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60

    Re: What should Obama do if debt ceiling is not raised?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    No...this time it really is just the Republicans' fault.
    You Say that as if you had any knowledge. It is Obama's Fault he has tripled spending since he has taken office. he has increased the deficit more than previous presidents combined so tell me again how its not his fault.

    http://home.adelphi.edu/sbloch/deficits.html

    • 2008-2009, at $879 billion (transition from G. W. Bush to B. H. Obama)
    • 2009-2010, at $758 billion (B. H. Obama)
    • 2007-2008, at $472 billion (G. W. Bush)
    • 1942-1943, at $372 billion (F. D. Roosevelt)
    • 1943-1944, at $365 billion (F. D. Roosevelt)
    • 1944-1945, at $320 billion (transition from F. D. Roosevelt to H. S. Truman)
    • 1990-1991, at $317 billion (G. H. W. Bush)
    • 2003-2004, at $315 billion (G. W. Bush)
    • 2002-2003, at $302 billion (G. W. Bush)
    • 1989-1990, at $287 billion (G. H. W. Bush)
    These are the true deficits: Bush $800B, Obama $1.4T
    Last edited by Bigkat80; 07-15-11 at 06:54 PM.
    The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them. Patrick Henry

  8. #28
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: What should Obama do if debt ceiling is not raised?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigkat80 View Post
    You Say that as if you had any knowledge. It is Obama's Fault he has tripled spending since he has taken office. he has increased the deficit more than his previous 4 presidents combined so tell me again how its not his fault.
    This looks like a new thread. Do it. Support it with some verifiable facts. It's amazing that in 2 1/2 years he has in net tripled spending over just the previous 8. I’m looking forward to it.

  9. #29
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: What should Obama do if debt ceiling is not raised?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigkat80 View Post
    The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them. Patrick Henry.
    Yes! First you have to identify who the rulers are, e.g. the Koch Brothers. Then what motivates them, e.g. saving our Christian nation for some leaders. Then what is next? Keep us warned.

  10. #30
    User Bigkat80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    12-11-11 @ 06:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60

    Re: What should Obama do if debt ceiling is not raised?

    I posted the Charts
    Beleive or dont thats your perogative.
    The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them. Patrick Henry

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •