View Poll Results: Should Obese Children Be Placed In Foster Homes?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 25.81%
  • No

    30 48.39%
  • It Depend (explain)

    16 25.81%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 71

Thread: Should obese children be taken away from their parents and put in foster care?

  1. #41
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,684
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Should obese children be taken away from their parents and put in foster care?

    Do you see why I advocate going back to a Constitutional form of government.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  2. #42
    User JTyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-01-11 @ 01:40 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34

    Re: Should obese children be taken away from their parents and put in foster care?

    I said that it depends. I don't think anything as rash as taking them away would be warranted, but indeed something should be done. Interesting poll by the way.

  3. #43
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Should obese children be taken away from their parents and put in foster care?

    There is a precedent for it, sort of. Rather than foster care, I've heard of children being taken by CPS to an obesity clinic for immediate treatment and the parents put through parenting classes and monitored when the children return. Again, I have only heard of this in extreme cases - i.e. toddlers and early elementary kids who are over 100lbs, usually with obesity-related health problems like diabetes, severe sleep apnea, etc. Things that can kill you.

  4. #44
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should obese children be taken away from their parents and put in foster care?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    There is a precedent for it, sort of. Rather than foster care, I've heard of children being taken by CPS to an obesity clinic for immediate treatment and the parents put through parenting classes and monitored when the children return. Again, I have only heard of this in extreme cases - i.e. toddlers and early elementary kids who are over 100lbs, usually with obesity-related health problems like diabetes, severe sleep apnea, etc. Things that can kill you.
    That seems reasonable.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Should obese children be taken away from their parents and put in foster care?

    Though I am typically social conservative, I actually agree with this movement. Don't get me wrong; I can see both the pros and cons of this issue.

    Our country, thanks to the food industry and aggressive marketing, has doped up our society. Ever since we were young the got to us... through commercials. I'd rather see those two entities dealt a serious blow, but in addition I fully support this move. Why? People need to break their habits and take responsibility for their actions. From a traditionally Christian perspective, the body is a temple for God's Spirit, and must be kept healthy in practical terms. Habits such as overeating, especially when developed at a young age, are a real *bleep* to break.

    I'm an example. Though I exercise vigorously, I eat a lot of unhealthy food. Yes, it's an overwhelming feeling that turns me into a munching zombie. Though, this zombies wants nachos, lasagna, and onion rings. ...and Chinese buffet... I love my mother and bless her masterful cooking... but she's like a huge spider. You think you're pulling yourself out of the web of temptation and then WHAM, homemade coffee crumble cheesecake.

    Nip it in the bud. I support.

  6. #46
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should obese children be taken away from their parents and put in foster care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Though I am typically social conservative, I actually agree with this movement. Don't get me wrong; I can see both the pros and cons of this issue.

    Our country, thanks to the food industry and aggressive marketing, has doped up our society. Ever since we were young the got to us... through commercials. I'd rather see those two entities dealt a serious blow, but in addition I fully support this move. Why? People need to break their habits and take responsibility for their actions. From a traditionally Christian perspective, the body is a temple for God's Spirit, and must be kept healthy in practical terms. Habits such as overeating, especially when developed at a young age, are a real *bleep* to break.

    I'm an example. Though I exercise vigorously, I eat a lot of unhealthy food. Yes, it's an overwhelming feeling that turns me into a munching zombie. Though, this zombies wants nachos, lasagna, and onion rings. ...and Chinese buffet... I love my mother and bless her masterful cooking... but she's like a huge spider. You think you're pulling yourself out of the web of temptation and then WHAM, homemade coffee crumble cheesecake.

    Nip it in the bud. I support.
    How about let's punish the food corporations rather than the parents and children. . .
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Should obese children be taken away from their parents and put in foster care?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    How about let's punish the food corporations rather than the parents and children. . .
    Imo, I would see it all dealt with.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Should obese children be taken away from their parents and put in foster care?

    fat people tend to have fat kids, due to genetics and eating habits.

    the ONLY time a fat kid should be taken from is parents, is when their is evidence that a child is obese not simply due to the eating habits of his family.....but when there is evidence of malice.

    though..at the same time.....if a child was indeed in a harmful & dangerous situation due to his weight and his eating habits, and the family refused to change, that might be a cause for concern.

    hmmm..

  9. #49
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Should obese children be taken away from their parents and put in foster care?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    fat people tend to have fat kids, due to genetics and eating habits.

    the ONLY time a fat kid should be taken from is parents, is when their is evidence that a child is obese not simply due to the eating habits of his family.....but when there is evidence of malice.

    though..at the same time.....if a child was indeed in a harmful & dangerous situation due to his weight and his eating habits, and the family refused to change, that might be a cause for concern.

    hmmm..
    There are all kinds of reasons parents may engage in more widely recognized forms of abuse where there is no malice. A mentally ill parent may believe they are doing their child a favor by starving or beating or isolating them. There is no malice. Does that mean they aren't being abused?

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Should obese children be taken away from their parents and put in foster care?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    There are all kinds of reasons parents may engage in more widely recognized forms of abuse where there is no malice. A mentally ill parent may believe they are doing their child a favor by starving or beating or isolating them. There is no malice. Does that mean they aren't being abused?
    making food avaliable, is not child abuse. demanding the child over-eat, under penalty of no tv, no video games, being grounded, or even violence, would certainly be abuse.

    but simply having a full fridge, is not abuse.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •