View Poll Results: Parents: If you had their ID’s and passwords, would you/do you logon to your kids’ FB

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Parents: Yes, while they are minors.

    22 70.97%
  • Parents: No, while they are minors.

    2 6.45%
  • Parents: Yes, when they are adults.

    5 16.13%
  • Parents: No, when they are adults.

    10 32.26%
  • Parents: Yes, I creep their FB pages.

    3 9.68%
  • Parents: No, I don’t creep their FB pages.

    9 29.03%
  • FaceBook? What's that?

    4 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 111

Thread: Family, FaceBook and spying.

  1. #11
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,626

    Re: Family, FaceBook and spying.

    Quote Originally Posted by SlackMaster View Post
    On a side note... I just joined Google+ I like it much better.

    I have invites if anyone wants one.
    Hmmm....Curious. I thought they got rid of them.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #12
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Family, FaceBook and spying.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    I don't have Facebook, but even if I did, I would never log onto my daughter's page. The thought never even crossed my mind and she's been on it since she was 12 or so. We're very close and if there's something she wants to tell me, she will eventually. There's no need for me to go "creeping". I would need a major, major reason, like life and death type of stuff to do something like that. And I can't even imagine what kind of weirdo does this to their adult children. No offense, but I think your friend has some serious issues.
    i've had some issues with Facebook, namely my soon to be daughter-in-law feeling the need to bitch and moan and play the drama queen about her relationship with my son. i defriended her, and explained to her that fb was not an appropriate stage for marriage counseling. she's growing up. also, a family member has a site for keeping up with the annual family camping trip, (not so ironcially called (Camp Freedom) but now feels it's entirely appropriate to post right wing whackjob bull****. also defriended.

    i would never presume to use someone else's password. i did notice that my 13 yr old niece had in her profile that she was "looking for men"......and promptly warned her about that. her parents, of course, never noticed.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  3. #13
    Advisor BamaBrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    510
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Family, FaceBook and spying.

    I would have absolutely no problem snooping in my kids facebooks if there was a need to, just like I have no problem going through their rooms. Having said that... Theyve never given me a reason to warrant it, facebook that is. My daughter did give me cause to do room searches for a short period of time. For the most part my children dont give me cause to do those things, so I have no need. But I wouldnt have a problem doing it if there were a need. And no... Im not talking about normal childhood stuff. I would have to have a really good reason... If I were worried seriously about their health or safety. My kids know that we will be more than happy to give them their "space" and only intervene when absolutely necessary. Theres a big difference between being nosy and being a parent.

    Adult children are different in my opinion.. theyre grown, no need to spy.

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,850

    Re: Family, FaceBook and spying.

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I don't blame the mom for doing such a thing. If I were in her position, I'd also have a "I gotta do whatever I can" attitude.

    But I think that the fact that she is so suspicious of them probably means there are trust issues and a trouble relationship between mother and daughter.
    Even with adult children???

    Well, that's the thing. I've known this family forever. Her girls are wonderful, good students, good girls. They've never been in trouble of any kind. So it flummoxes me. I can't see how trust is a problem when they, as far as I can see, have never given her trouble.

    Quote Originally Posted by SlackMaster View Post
    I don't have kids, but I would suspect that I would operate under the understanding that privacy is a privilege. That privilege would become available at a certain time (when their mother and I decide). The privilege is maintained so long as s/he doesn't give me a reason to suspect that there are things going on in their life that might result in things I'll be responsible for (assuming they're under 18). The same policy would apply to searching their room.

    Once they leave home and they're on their own dime... I shouldn't have to access.
    No, these are adult girls, away at college. Everything you said, I agree with, while they are minors and that's what I have done with mine. Privacy is respected, until there is a reason to not respect it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    That can happen a lot. Then again, I think we try to use good humor and genuine desire to catch up with people, instead of creating drama. My posts that might be TMI are perhaps like, "took a nap, and now I feel like eating a cow the size of texas." followed by a random video of goofiness.
    LOL!!

    That's great that your family have a good hold on how to use FB. It encourages me, because up to now, all I hear is FB drama from my kids about their friends and family. Well, and even some of my own family as I posted in another thread.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Family, FaceBook and spying.

    Facebook is one of the most annoying "things" on the planet.
    Nuke it from space is my stance.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #16
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Family, FaceBook and spying.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Well, that's the thing. I've known this family forever. Her girls are wonderful, good students, good girls. They've never been in trouble of any kind. So it flummoxes me. I can't see how trust is a problem when they, as far as I can see, have never given her trouble.
    well, pretty much the only thing that I can say in her defense is that IT'S COLLEGE!!
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  7. #17
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Family, FaceBook and spying.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Facebook is one of the most annoying "things" on the planet.
    Nuke it from space is my stance.
    That would be pretty hard to do.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #18
    Advisor SlackMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    02-02-12 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    598

    Re: Family, FaceBook and spying.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Hmmm....Curious. I thought they got rid of them.
    They've been letting people sign up in waves. Right now it shows I can invite people.

    I have the link in my main page, looks like below.



    I don't think I have to send the email to a gmail account, I think any account will do. If you have a junkmail account, send me that in a PM and I'll send you the invite.

    I'd tell you more about it, but I don't want to hijack the thread.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Family, FaceBook and spying.

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    That would be pretty hard to do.
    They have db servers somewhere.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #20
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,850

    Re: Family, FaceBook and spying.

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i've had some issues with Facebook, namely my soon to be daughter-in-law feeling the need to bitch and moan and play the drama queen about her relationship with my son. i defriended her, and explained to her that fb was not an appropriate stage for marriage counseling. she's growing up. also, a family member has a site for keeping up with the annual family camping trip, (not so ironcially called (Camp Freedom) but now feels it's entirely appropriate to post right wing whackjob bull****. also defriended.

    i would never presume to use someone else's password. i did notice that my 13 yr old niece had in her profile that she was "looking for men"......and promptly warned her about that. her parents, of course, never noticed.
    That is what I'm talking about. Hashing out private issues or bashing a family member in public. There is no need for that, whatsoever. It's another form of bullying.

    Good on you! You did the right thing there.


    Quote Originally Posted by BamaBrat View Post
    I would have absolutely no problem snooping in my kids facebooks if there was a need to, just like I have no problem going through their rooms. Having said that... Theyve never given me a reason to warrant it, facebook that is. My daughter did give me cause to do room searches for a short period of time. For the most part my children dont give me cause to do those things, so I have no need. But I wouldnt have a problem doing it if there were a need. And no... Im not talking about normal childhood stuff. I would have to have a really good reason... If I were worried seriously about their health or safety. My kids know that we will be more than happy to give them their "space" and only intervene when absolutely necessary. Theres a big difference between being nosy and being a parent.

    Adult children are different in my opinion.. theyre grown, no need to spy.
    I agree. Those are the principles I've operated on.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •