View Poll Results: In general, do you think people choose their political orientation based on emotional

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 40.91%
  • No

    2 9.09%
  • Its way more complicated than that!

    8 36.36%
  • Maybe

    3 13.64%
  • I am not sure

    0 0%
  • I don't care

    0 0%
  • I look to pick rootabega

    2 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: political orientation and emotional needs

  1. #21
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,639

    Re: political orientation and emotional needs

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Is that why you are trying to frame your argument in the manner in which you are doing so?
    "if only the damn fools would listen to reason, we wouldn't be in this mess."
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #22
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: political orientation and emotional needs

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I still think people aren't concerned with the actual working of reality and aren't taking the effort to actual deal in that realm. Thinking that people are merely a clay they shape whichever way they choose even if history and the science behind it says something clearly different. Even still they continue to walk in ignorance towards whatever their heart tells them, like a child and a candy bar. Except this candy bar has been proven to be poison over and over again and was known to be poison even before anyone took a bit by the people that actually studied the chocolate on the candy bar for generations.

    From what I seen the logic you speak of is based only the emotion of the argument and not the actual science of what the chocolate on the candy bar is made up of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Being real for moment you would realize that being a asshole doesn't detail dealing with realities of the science. Its basically the people that ignore the science and pretend they can do whatever they please to push their will. Be it religious fools or statists, they both have the same basic problem at its root level. They twist their logic around their emotion until they there is no start or finish to it and even they themselves are confused as to which is which.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Allow me to add one bit to my posts. What has been learned through history is that emotion will win over logic any day and if you really want the people to follow you dig into their emotions and ignore the logic that will guide the result.
    I pointed out the appeals to emotion for you. You could have easily conveyed the same message without the inflammatory language and appeals to the superiority and inferiority without basis other than "science" (nothing specific, just "science" or "history").

  3. #23
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: political orientation and emotional needs

    A small percentage of people, Iím one, work on removing emotion and beliefs from their thinking to better enable them to do their job. It becomes a habit in problem solving. This can be dangerous in personal relationships. In the workplace it can be a problem too. Coworkers that are normally belief and emotion driven have a hard time with people that change their mind based on new information, e.g. form test results of a prototype. If the new products architecture or design doesnít work the architects and design engineers have to change their minds if they are going to have something that works. (Iíve seen emotion and belief result in the shipping of a product that doesnít work. The scapegoating etc. that follow are awful.) Iím not saying that I donít have any beliefs, Iím just left with the basic ones, and they donít align me left or right politically. What also may seem unusual about my drivers is that both my parents were artists, made their living at it. Youíd think that artists are belief driven, but some arenít.

  4. #24
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: political orientation and emotional needs

    Depends on the person. Personally I want to be left the **** alone and dont show emotion.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  5. #25
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: political orientation and emotional needs

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Fiddy has it right. While Cpwill immediately assumed that emotional needs implied a crippled mind, the fact is that the need is as good as its adaption to the situation. A need to feel in control of a situation, expressed through gun ownership is very good in the context of having your house robbed, for example.
    for your house yes. g0od governance, however, requires you being just as upset about your neighbors. and I don't think I was suggesting a crippled mind - but one that gave greater weight to immediate emotional pull. that's why women (who tend to be more emotionally guided) vote democrat while men vote Republican.

  6. #26
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: political orientation and emotional needs

    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Highway View Post
    Depends on the person. Personally I want to be left the **** alone and dont show emotion.
    well yeah, but, man; you're an Autobot.

  7. #27
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: political orientation and emotional needs

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    I think your lean depends on how much of a dick you are. You can make your own assumption of what a super asshole would be, and what a nice guy would be. That is not for me to put in your mind.
    ladies and gentlemen, I present to the courtroom Exhibit A.


    remember the old adage: disagree with a conservative and he will think you are foolish. disagree with a liberal and he will think you are mean.

  8. #28
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: political orientation and emotional needs

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I find it interesting and a little funny that Henrin so strongly believes that science has such a monolithic voice on the subject of human nature and behavior or that these subjects are even a part way figured out or understood, especially now that we can make use of new information from subjects like genetics, neuroimagery, etc.

    But besides the point, my hope is that this thread doesn't devolve into silly partisan bickering, such as several posters has already attempted to do. I am hearing some interesting answers and points of view so far.
    the Loft. you wanted the Loft

  9. #29
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: political orientation and emotional needs

    I can only speak for myself...I answered no, I do my best to go by the facts and of course what concerns me personally and what I believe to be right or wrong. Basing decisions on emotion makes for very bad decsions imho

  10. #30
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: political orientation and emotional needs

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I would say that there is a powerful element of it in there; though I think it is more strongly indicative of lefter-leaning, with the heavy emphasis on the won't somebody think of the chilllldrun motif.
    Right about now the teaparty needs some emotion and to start thinking about someone else besides themselves and whats good for just them

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •