View Poll Results: Do you have children?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Female: I have kid(s)/ I want kid(s)

    6 9.38%
  • Female: I don't want children

    2 3.13%
  • Male: I have kid(s)/ I want kid(s)

    30 46.88%
  • Male: I don't want children

    19 29.69%
  • other

    7 10.94%
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 272

Thread: Do you want children?

  1. #251
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Do you want children?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    Fair enough but that isn't very nice to say that about your unborn children. I have to be one of the most pessimistic, negative people in the world and that is even to negative for me.
    My point is that he has no idea who my future children will be... nobody does. It's a logical fallacy, appeal to ignorance

  2. #252
    Advisor BamaBrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    510
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Do you want children?

    I have five kids and four grandbabies.

  3. #253
    Advisor BamaBrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    510
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Do you want children?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I said my kid would most likely be a nobody, not an Edison and not a Hitler
    a nobody??? wow. Everyone is a "somebody". A person may not be president... may not be evil.... may not be ghandi .... but everyone is somebody.

  4. #254
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,168

    Re: Do you want children?

    Well, she's right. Why is that such a hard thing to say, especially about a "person" who doesn't even exist?

    Be totally honest with yourself, and ask how many people on this earth have much of an impact. In the very strictest sense, everyone has an affect on something simply by existing. But... someone else could just as easily exist, if that's the extent of the effect they're having. And for a lot of people, it is.

    Neo - I get how you'd think that. But on the other side of the gender aisle, as CP so beautifully illistrated, things are no quite so easy. And it gets a million times worse than simply sexism for some women, going off into the realm of being disowned, bullied, and sometimes even assaulted.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 07-11-11 at 08:08 PM.

  5. #255
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    08-31-17 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Do you want children?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Well, she's right. Why is that such a hard thing to say, especially about a "person" who doesn't even exist?

    Be totally honest with yourself, and ask how many people on this earth have much of an impact. In the very strictest sense, everyone has an affect on something simply by existing. But... someone else could just as easily exist, if that's the extent of the effect they're having. And for a lot of people, it is.

    Neo - I get how you'd think that. But on the other side of the gender aisle, as CP so beautifully illistrated, things are no quite so easy. And it gets a million times worse than simply sexism for some women, going off into the realm of being disowned, bullied, and sometimes even assaulted.
    I think that even if someone talks one person out of suicide or gives one person personal advice or is there one time for somebody having a bad day then they are somebody to someone. They might not be everything to everyone, but to that someone they matter. That very will might be what they were "meant to do."
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  6. #256
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you want children?

    Quote Originally Posted by DashingAmerican View Post
    I think that even if someone talks one person out of suicide or gives one person personal advice or is there one time for somebody having a bad day then they are somebody to someone. They might not be everything to everyone, but to that someone they matter. That very will might be what they were "meant to do."
    People often under estimate how important each of us are. If even a single one of Einstein's ancestors didn't exist, of course Einstein wouldn't have existed. But I can almost guarantee that his ancestors were likely average people. Potential is important, and very few of us can ever understand what impact our actions, and the actions of others can have on the world.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  7. #257
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Do you want children?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaBrat View Post
    a nobody??? wow. Everyone is a "somebody". A person may not be president... may not be evil.... may not be ghandi .... but everyone is somebody.
    My future kid will more than likely be nobody important to cpwill, that was my point. You guys are acting like I am a bad person.

  8. #258
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Do you want children?

    I will never understand the shade that is tossed towards women who do not want kids. It is their choice and I would much rather them go with their heart about not wanting kids than bring an unwanted child into this world. Not everybody wants kids and that should be fine.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  9. #259
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    08-31-17 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Do you want children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    I will never understand the shade that is tossed towards women who do not want kids. It is their choice and I would much rather them go with their heart about not wanting kids than bring an unwanted child into this world. Not everybody wants kids and that should be fine.
    I have no hard feelings towards women who don't want kids. My cousin Heather is my role model and she doesn't want kids ever.
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  10. #260
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Do you want children?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Neo - I get how you'd think that. But on the other side of the gender aisle, as CP so beautifully illistrated, things are no quite so easy. And it gets a million times worse than simply sexism for some women, going off into the realm of being disowned, bullied, and sometimes even assaulted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    I will never understand the shade that is tossed towards women who do not want kids. It is their choice and I would much rather them go with their heart about not wanting kids than bring an unwanted child into this world. Not everybody wants kids and that should be fine.
    Would-be grandmothers have to grieve the loss of the preconception they probably always had that their daughter(s) would follow after them and create their own litters. The decision not to very subtly sends a message to the mother "I don't want to be like you" and that hurts, so they sprinkle seeds of guilt all over the daughter to try to make it happen. Sisters and sisters-in-law will also do this. (Men might do it too but personally I see this being a woman thing and I think that's a reasonable generalization so don't even bother to nitpick with accusations to gender stereotyping.) People everywhere are insecure, at least in certain areas. A close relative says "I don't want kids," and people can't help but read into that. "Are you depressed?" "So that means you don't like my kids?" "So that means you think I didn't raise you right? Did I not do a good job? Was I not a good role model?"

    Emotion city.

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    People often under estimate how important each of us are. If even a single one of Einstein's ancestors didn't exist, of course Einstein wouldn't have existed.
    If Einstein had never existed, maybe there were two next-Einsteins growing up in Hiroshima and Nagasaki in the forties. Guess we'll never know, since Einstein lit that fire under FDRs ass.

    All I'm saying is one can carry this butterfly effect nonsense in any blindly positive or negative direction one wants. This speculative free association won't lead you to a higher ground on this topic.
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 07-12-11 at 03:50 AM.

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •