View Poll Results: Do you have children?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Female: I have kid(s)/ I want kid(s)

    6 9.38%
  • Female: I don't want children

    2 3.13%
  • Male: I have kid(s)/ I want kid(s)

    30 46.88%
  • Male: I don't want children

    19 29.69%
  • other

    7 10.94%
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 272

Thread: Do you want children?

  1. #161
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Do you want children?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    The government already offers classes and advice through many federal and state programs, these programs also give incentives for parents to use these services such as coupons, vouchers, DVDs, etc
    Yeah, but I want to make those classes mandatory attendance for expecting parents, mothers and fathers both.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  2. #162
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,147

    Re: Do you want children?

    I quoted you saying it. Your passive-aggressiveness is obvious.

    I wasn't talking about people in third world countries. You're simply dodging the argument. I was talking about people here. Are you seriously going to tell me a childfree person surpasses the carbon footprint of someone with kids in the developed world? Having two kids effectively doubles the carbon footprint of each parent, and lengthens it by around 40 years.

    I'm actually not running AC at the moment and my chair is made of wood and fabric. But I bet you are, and I bet you have at least one car, and go through a lot more trash bags than I do.

  3. #163
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,854

    Re: Do you want children?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Yes, and families with children typically have multiple cars, and bigger living spaces. Those kids grow up to have their own living spaces and cars.

    I actually don't drive - I prefer to live in places where I don't need to - and I don't want a house. I have a very small footprint, really.

    This isn't even a stance I personally advocate. It's just straight-up irrational to deny that creating people = creating a new carbon footprint.
    The point is that your carbon footprint is bigger than a family of six living in rural India simply by living in the most carbon consuming country in the world. And in winter there in Minn. I am surethat you use a heater, take the bus or metro and eat in restaurants and get Starbucks coffee. I bet you use far more than you think...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #164
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,147

    Re: Do you want children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The point is that your carbon footprint is bigger than a family of six living in rural India simply by living in the most carbon consuming country in the world. And in winter there in Minn. I am surethat you use a heater, take the bus or metro and eat in restaurants and get Starbucks coffee. I bet you use far more than you think...
    That would be valid if I were talking about a family in India, but I'm not. You're simply dodging the argument. It is mind-numbingly obvious that someone with children uses more resources than someone without, in the same country.

    Several of your assumptions are wrong. I do use public transit, but that's because I don't drive, which are far more wasteful than public transit. And in my city, we have hybrid buses.

  5. #165
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: Do you want children?

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Tell him you're covered by the Duggars. So are five other families.
    That lady's uterus is going to collapse sooner or later... I knew a crazy religious family like that, and the wive got to 19 or 20 kids and then her uterus collapsed. The mom had children born years after her grandchildren... and none of those kids stayed in with their church.

  6. #166
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you want children?

    The point continues to sail right over your head. No matter. To most of us, the point is obvious. You cannot simply make an all encompassing statement and simply ignore examples that do not fit your argument.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  7. #167
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,147

    Re: Do you want children?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    The point continues to sail right over your head. No matter. To most of us, the point is obvious. You cannot simply make an all encompassing statement and simply ignore examples that do not fit your argument.
    I can when it comes down to simply mathematics, and your response has nothing to do with the argument.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 07-10-11 at 10:45 PM.

  8. #168
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you want children?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    I can when it comes down to simply mathematics, and your response has nothing to do with the argument.
    Now you're just responding for the sake of responding. Well off to watch Bones. Great show, btw.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  9. #169
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: Do you want children?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    not at all. society needs more children. I am willing to take on the (considerable) trouble and cost of having and raising them. but the facts remain that children take care of aged parents - and in a demographic situation where we don't have several workers per retiree, the state cannot afford to step in and ensure the same level of care. So State benefits will be reduced for all retirees, and those who have children will be able to depend on them while those who do not (hopefully) have saved enough to make up the difference on their own. The problem being that now (because of the reduced work force compared to retiree numbers) we face a situation where there is a shortage of resources available to take care of retirees, which leads to a bidding war, so hopefully you saved more than your neighbor as well....



    you take care of your parents when they age. my folks are taking care of my grandparents, who took care of my great grandparents first. I will take care of them when they get older, and my sons will take care of me and my wife one day - gently telling me I shouldn't drive any more, and should let them come over every other weekend to do the yard work; or that maybe the house is too much for us to take care of now, but they found this really great place that's close to them... and so on and so forth. that's the beauty of family - we take care of each other.



    if you want to commit suicide at a given age that's your deal - but let's not try to push that as the only option for others, eh?
    I think you are assuming a lot... Let's just say I don't have kids, that doesn't mean I'll die old and alone. I have nieces that I am very close to, and if I didn't have children I'd leave everything to them. I am close to them, and I know they'd care for me.

    Instead of arguing what the government can and can't do, you should look at from the POV of the individual, the person, because people are capable of doing the right thing in the absence of government... The government doesn't and cannot force anybody to show compassion to you when you are dying. The government just makes it more affordable.

    The issue with the declining birth rate can be solved with immigration and making it easier for people to become citizens in this country. Stop ignoring that immigration is important and acting like American women need to be broodmares. You're freaking out over nothing, and, no offense, but a lot of racists use arguments like this because they are afraid of being a minority race and hate immigration. Not saying your racist, I just take the concern in your arguments as seriously as I think theirs.... which is not seriously at all.

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Do you want children?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    That lady's uterus is going to collapse sooner or later... I knew a crazy religious family like that, and the wive got to 19 or 20 kids and then her uterus collapsed. The mom had children born years after her grandchildren... and none of those kids stayed in with their church.
    Oh. My. That's horrible.

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •