View Poll Results: What would you do?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Draw or grab a firearm that is immediately next to you

    28 28.57%
  • Grab a clubbing weapon that is immediately next to you (ex. Golf club, baseball bat, etc)

    7 7.14%
  • Grab a stabbing weapon that is immediately next to you (ex. Kitchen knife, pocket knife, etc)

    6 6.12%
  • Run to another room to grab a locked up or hidden firearm and confront the home invaders

    11 11.22%
  • Run to another room to grab a stabbing or clubbing weapon and confront the home invaders

    3 3.06%
  • Run to another room and attempt to hide while dialing 911

    2 2.04%
  • Run out the backdoor of the house and attempt to escape

    6 6.12%
  • Freeze like a deer in the headlights

    6 6.12%
  • Rush the bad guys barehanded

    6 6.12%
  • Other (explain)

    23 23.47%
Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 363

Thread: Self defense: How prepared are you?

  1. #241
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    someone breaks down the door of an occupied home that is pretty much conclusive proof that they intend to do you harm and you have a reasonable expectation that they so intend

    someone who breaks into a home at say 10 AM might be seen as intended to burgle an unoccupied home. after dark-its presumed they intend to rob an occupied home

    if they have that intent OR IF YOU REASONABLY BELIEVE THEY HAVE THAT INTENT

    kill em

    shoot shoot and shoot till they move no more but once they are down and out of the fight you cannot walk up and say give them a buttstroke to the temple or screw a bayonet onto your rifle and stick them in the throat

    later folks
    one of my sea daddies wasn't much of a gear queer, preferred to move light. except for the fact that he carried a drum instead of the standard 30-round mag. now that's a heavy thing on your personal. one day I asked him about the disparity. "son", he told me "anyone worth shooting is worth shooting many times".

    had a friend once rescue me and a buddy from a group of "non documented workers" by stepping out calmly, smiling, and asking what the trouble was as he took his AK to condition one. It's amazing how many people really don't want to be shot.


    I will say with regards to this poll - I am surprised how many people claim to keep a firearm handy at all times. We kept ours in our bedroom. In case of trouble, the wife knew to sweep up the kid, go to the bedroom, lock the door, aim at the middle of the door, and shoot if the handle jiggled. however, my skills with a pistol are not what they should be - i've done all my training with assault rifles, carbines, and shotguns. In addition, the hand-to-hand style combat they teach in the Marines is completely unsatisfactory; until you start working with knives we aren't trained to kill or even severely damage; we're trained to restrain. it's a weakness I'll have to fix next time i have time.
    Last edited by cpwill; 10-08-11 at 03:13 AM.

  2. #242
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    The keeping a firearm on you at all times is a little much for me. I suppose there may be a time in my life that I wished I had that firearm at my side but for the most part have been able to take care of myself without one.
    I do have 3 rifles in the house but not at my fingertips. The only weapon I carry is a razor knife that is also functional for other purposes. I work out and practice Krav Maga and feel pretty confident against most out there.

    But I don't want to be constantly armed to the teeth 24/7. Sometimes I leave work 8 or 9 pm and walk home in pure darkness and enjoy it. It is the similiar to the feeling I get when I stand at the edge of a cliff and hang over and feel that pull. Maybe I am just plain foolish with some of the stuff I do but through life have enjoyed doing daredevil stunts trying to see how close I can get to death. I do believe there is something in the saying, A brave man dies once but a coward dies a thousand times.
    Last edited by Crosscheck; 10-08-11 at 09:09 AM.

  3. #243
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I've never thought about this. My only concern would be the assailant's recovery time because he would be enraged. Black Flag disabled a pitbull?! For how long?
    The only thing I saw from man or beast at the time was the back of them as they hastily beat a retreat. The males apparently worked and passed by my home on their way home at night but were never threatening to me again. I have not seen nor do I care to see the pit bull again.

    One of the good things about the wasp and hornet spray is you can use it as often as you need to in order to get the job done. I now carry pepper spray when it's inconvienant to carry around my Black Flag and had one occasion in NY to use it as a deterrant to a male who demanded my wallet, I only had to point the pepper spray at him to to discourage his intent.

    I only use these items for defending myself or mine.

  4. #244
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    The keeping a firearm on you at all times is a little much for me. I suppose there may be a time in my life that I wished I had that firearm at my side but for the most part have been able to take care of myself without one.
    I do have 3 rifles in the house but not at my fingertips. The only weapon I carry is a razor knife that is also functional for other purposes. I work out and practice Krav Maga and feel pretty confident against most out there.

    But I don't want to be constantly armed to the teeth 24/7. Sometimes I leave work 8 or 9 pm and walk home in pure darkness and enjoy it. It is the similiar to the feeling I get when I stand at the edge of a cliff and hang over and feel that pull. Maybe I am just plain foolish with some of the stuff I do but through life have enjoyed doing daredevil stunts trying to see how close I can get to death. I do believe there is something in the saying, A brave man dies once but a coward dies a thousand times.
    Taking calculated risks is one thing. Taking foolish risks is another.

    I used to rock-climb... granted that was several years and quite a few pounds ago. That's a calculated risk.

    Going unarmed is a calculated risk too... but one I choose not to take.

    A foolish risk would be walking through the worst part of the 'hood at 2AM.... armed or unarmed.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #245
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Taking calculated risks is one thing. Taking foolish risks is another.

    I used to rock-climb... granted that was several years and quite a few pounds ago. That's a calculated risk.

    Going unarmed is a calculated risk too... but one I choose not to take.

    A foolish risk would be walking through the worst part of the 'hood at 2AM.... armed or unarmed.
    The good thing about living in a state that allows concealed carry is that bad guys never knows when a potential victim may be locked and loaded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  6. #246
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dixieland South
    Last Seen
    10-11-11 @ 09:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    364

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    Many years ago in south Florida there was this very well known Martial Art Instructor. He dispized handguns and always preached against owning them.
    This fella was a self made walking weapon. He owned and opperated a popular school, that put out many world class champions, in Karate and other hand to hand fighting techniqes.

    He and his girlfriend were mugged and then shot by a punk with a .25 caliber pocket pistol.

    Go figure....My point is this. When a person thinks they are safer without a gun.....Their always wrong.

  7. #247
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    Lotta dirty harry wannabes

  8. #248
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,112

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by dixiesolutions View Post
    My point is this. When a person thinks they are safer without a gun.....Their always wrong.
    You have never had an encounter with a Predator, have you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #249
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You have never had an encounter with a Predator, have you...
    I've had an encounter with you . Sorry, you set yourself up for that one .

  10. #250
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,112

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    I've had an encounter with you . Sorry, you set yourself up for that one .
    You set yourself up for this one... We have been in bed together? That is the only time that nick-name is used is when my prey is bent over in front of me...

    ... and I mean this guy:

    Self defense: How prepared are you?-predator_-1987-_-_the_predator-jpg

    If you have a gun around this Predator, you are dead. He only attacks those ready to fight with weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •