View Poll Results: What would you do?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Draw or grab a firearm that is immediately next to you

    28 28.57%
  • Grab a clubbing weapon that is immediately next to you (ex. Golf club, baseball bat, etc)

    7 7.14%
  • Grab a stabbing weapon that is immediately next to you (ex. Kitchen knife, pocket knife, etc)

    6 6.12%
  • Run to another room to grab a locked up or hidden firearm and confront the home invaders

    11 11.22%
  • Run to another room to grab a stabbing or clubbing weapon and confront the home invaders

    3 3.06%
  • Run to another room and attempt to hide while dialing 911

    2 2.04%
  • Run out the backdoor of the house and attempt to escape

    6 6.12%
  • Freeze like a deer in the headlights

    6 6.12%
  • Rush the bad guys barehanded

    6 6.12%
  • Other (explain)

    23 23.47%
Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 363

Thread: Self defense: How prepared are you?

  1. #181
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,878

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    Anyone who busts into my house while I'm home is going to get 'the look'. That's usually enough to make them run home to their mommies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  2. #182
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Anyone who busts into my house while I'm home is going to get 'the look'. That's usually enough to make them run home to their mommies.
    Does that look involving peering at them through a EOTECH holographic weapons sight mounted on a fully automatic machine rifle?



  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    In general, I have at least one knife, my OC spray, and a handgun within relatively easy reach of me in my apartment. More often than not they're on my person. Additionally, as collectors of medieval weapons, there's generally at least one sword, axe, mace, quarterstaff or other weapon within a step or two of wherever I'm standing.

    BTW - We're trying to teach the deaf dog to dial 9-1-1 because no person in that building is going to.

  4. #184
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    In general, I have at least one knife, my OC spray, and a handgun within relatively easy reach of me in my apartment. More often than not they're on my person. Additionally, as collectors of medieval weapons, there's generally at least one sword, axe, mace, quarterstaff or other weapon within a step or two of wherever I'm standing.

    BTW - We're trying to teach the deaf dog to dial 9-1-1 because no person in that building is going to.
    a well made katana is about as nasty a close range weapon available

    Another great weapon for apartments that is easy to use, incredibly lethal and low profile is a combat tomahawk. I like the Peter LaGana designed one with the fiberglass handle with about a foot of paracord through the hole in the butt end of the handle. incredibly rugged, my nephew-a captain in the Special Forces in Afghanistan-notes several of his men pack these things

    AMERICAN TOMAHAWK COMPANY : LaGana Tactical (VTAC)
    Last edited by TurtleDude; 10-07-11 at 10:54 AM.



  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    a well made katana is about as nasty a close range weapon available

    Another great weapon for apartments that is easy to use, incredibly lethal and low profile is a combat tomahawk. I like the Peter LaGana designed one with the fiberglass handle with about a foot of paracord through the hole in the butt end of the handle. incredibly rugged, my nephew-a captain in the Special Forces in Afghanistan-notes several of his men pack these things

    AMERICAN TOMAHAWK COMPANY : LaGana Tactical (VTAC)
    True on both counts.... Personally, I prefer the basket-hilt claymore (sword). It's a touch shorter than most katana, but that steel basket makes quite an impression on the nose at speed. A number of years ago "Blade" magazine did a great article on its usefulness in home defense.

  6. #186
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    NW Georgia USA
    Last Seen
    05-01-12 @ 12:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    We prefer a multi-layered defense. Large, capable dogs (3), alarm system, and enough firearms to start a small war. Wife and I both have Firearms Licenses and carry just about everywhere. Every room of our home has at least one gun in it, generally out of sight but within easy reach. And we spend a lot of time (and ammo) at the range to insure we can hit what we aim at.. Wifey's actually a better pistol shot than I am, usually beats me by 2-3 points in 50 shot matches... but I can double-tap smaller groups than she can.

  7. #187
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,878

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Does that look involving peering at them through a EOTECH holographic weapons sight mounted on a fully automatic machine rifle?
    With a smile of course!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  8. #188
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Anyone who busts into my house while I'm home is going to get 'the look'. That's usually enough to make them run home to their mommies.
    Does the look mean you drop your pants and moon them?

  9. #189
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    a well made katana is about as nasty a close range weapon available

    Another great weapon for apartments that is easy to use, incredibly lethal and low profile is a combat tomahawk. I like the Peter LaGana designed one with the fiberglass handle with about a foot of paracord through the hole in the butt end of the handle. incredibly rugged, my nephew-a captain in the Special Forces in Afghanistan-notes several of his men pack these things

    AMERICAN TOMAHAWK COMPANY : LaGana Tactical (VTAC)
    Katana? Don't get too close to the chandeliers.

  10. #190
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Self defense: How prepared are you?

    My response depends on the situation. If I am just coming from work, I'm not going to have a weapon on me or in my truck since you can't carry a firearm on a military base. It would just depend on the situation how I could act or not act. I may not be able to act because they may already have the drop on me.

Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •