View Poll Results: Where there racists in 1776? (read post first)

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 85.71%
  • No

    4 14.29%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 101

Thread: Were there racists in 1776? (read post first)

  1. #51
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Were there racists in 1776? (read post first)

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    If X = "belief in the superiority of certain races", then someone who believes in the superiority of his race is X. It's that simple.
    To a simpleminded person...yes...it is...

  2. #52
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Were there racists in 1776? (read post first)

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Disagree. Racism existed back then, as TPD has shown back in the other thread. Any attempt to twist it any other way is engaging in revisionist history.

    Your argument is like saying just because a white guy thinks one black guy is "articulate," he is therefore not a racist.
    My argument is not 'like' anything. My argument simply states truth. You are using your modern understanding of life and the human experiences that others lived, suffered, and grew by, and inappropriately applying it to others without such benefit.

  3. #53
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Were there racists in 1776? (read post first)

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    To a simpleminded person...yes...it is...
    Oh, okay.

  4. #54
    Student SPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Last Seen
    10-02-11 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    215

    Re: Were there racists in 1776? (read post first)

    There was. There always has been and there always will be. But I've noticed that most liberals fail to mention that blacks fought for our Independence as well. The First victim of the Boston Massacre was black (Crispus Attucks). He was a freed slave who wanted to see this country become free as well as anyone else. Now granted 1770 was before the Revolutionairy War, but tensions were already starting to build up even then.

  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Were there racists in 1776? (read post first)

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    My argument is not 'like' anything. My argument simply states truth. You are using your modern understanding of life and the human experiences that others lived, suffered, and grew by, and inappropriately applying it to others without such benefit.
    Do you think anyone in 1776 thought certain races were superior to others?

  6. #56
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Were there racists in 1776? (read post first)

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    My argument is not 'like' anything. My argument simply states truth. You are using your modern understanding of life and the human experiences that others lived, suffered, and grew by, and inappropriately applying it to others without such benefit.
    This isn't a matter of imposing my modern views on history. A racist remains a racist regardless of the time period. It's really that simple.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  7. #57
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Were there racists in 1776? (read post first)

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Lets see now... they gave legal protection to a system of enslaving a race of people. That reality would get a YES vote from me in this poll.

    The absurdity that there was a black man or two that they did not enslave and even liked does not negate what they did to almost all of the remainder of the race across the land.
    Exactly, as long as there are different races, they will be racists. Everyone of us has a preference of one race over the other, no matter how small. It's important for all of us to realize our failings.

  8. #58
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Were there racists in 1776? (read post first)

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Do you think anyone in 1776 thought certain races were superior to others?
    Do I think that people in 1776 understood life to their level of understanding? Why...YES...I do. Do I think you today, are stupid for using 235 years worth of other peoples life experiences to say neener neener you guys were RACIST? Yeah...I do.

  9. #59
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Were there racists in 1776? (read post first)

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    This isn't a matter of imposing my modern views on history. A racist remains a racist regardless of the time period. It's really that simple.
    To a simple minded person engaging in simple minded rhetoric...yes...it REALLY IS that simple.

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Were there racists in 1776? (read post first)

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Do I think that people in 1776 understood life to their level of understanding? Why...YES...I do. Do I think you today, are stupid for using 235 years worth of other peoples life experiences to say neener neener you guys were RACIST? Yeah...I do.
    Answer the question: Do you think anyone in 1776 thought certain races were superior to others? Yes or no.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •